WADDELL, ---, of firm of Russell, Majors & Waddell, groceries, Blake Street between E. and F. Streets, also store between G. and H., 1859.
WADDLER, William, was in the goldfields or on way in 1859, for on Jan 10, 1860 he makes ranche claim near city of Bradford, and bounded on east by R. B. Branford’s claim, on the north by that of Henry Thompson, and on the west by the mountains.
WADE, ---, of firm of Brazee & Wade, attorneys, Denver City & Gregory Diggings. (Card in RMN, 1859)
WADE, Charles A., of Mountain City, same year above, on May 30, is grantee of lot on Larimer Street, with unfinished building of J. H. Cruise, on condition that he finish building. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
WADE, Felic G., of Denver, was grantee of Donation Lots for building, Denver. On Sep 9, 1859 he is grantor of Denver lots to Ewin C. Mather of Denver City. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
WADSWORTH, Z. H., claims 160 acres land for ranche, about two and a half miles from the Toll Gate, on Clear Creek, on the road leading from the mines of Gregory to the foot of the mountains. The said claim has a ranche corrall built on it. (Recorded Gregory Record, pp. 12-13, Oct 1, 1859.) This is kept in Central.
WAGGONER. Seymour W., a young lawyer who arrived in 1859, lived in Denver, became a partner of Stout and Whitsitt (Waggoner, Stout & Whitsitt), brokers and commission merchants, during the first year, dealing in Real Estate, became representative of Denver Precinct in June, in the first Constitutional Convention, which met in Denver Hall on the 6th of that month, and was elected permanent President of the Convention at the first meeting. He was also Probate Judge of Arapahoe County, Kansas during the time of the Provisional Government.
When the Rebellion broke out in 1861, his intimate friend, W. P. McClure (appointed Postmaster of Denver by President Buchanan) imported a fine silk Confederate flag, he being a secessionist of the most pronounced type, while Waggoner was devoted to the Union. When McClure undertook to make Waggoner look at the emblem soon after he unwrapped it in the Post Office, Waggoner became furious and spit tobacco all over it. Everybody anticipated a challenge, but McClure wrote, instead, demanding an apology, which his friend wrote in reply he could not give, but said that his insult was directed at the Cause the flag represented, so a peace was finally established between them, but it is said McClure did not try to float the flag over the Post Office. Later, Waggoner was appointed Captain of the Company C, 2nd Regiment, Colorado Cavalry (1862) and was killed in one of those encounters with Missouri bushwackers on Jul 6, 1864. Capt. Waggoner, “one of the bravest officers in the Regiment” and nine of his men were killed by Todd’s assassins. They were buried near Independence, Missouri and later the post of the Grand Army of the Republic at this place was named Waggoner Post in his honor. His age was but 33 years. Through the efforts of the Post a marble monument has been erected bearing his name, and the legend that he died “nobly fighting for his country and leading his men into action.” The names of the men who died in the same battle with him are also on the shaft. (See Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, pp. 269-301)
WAGNER, Herman, in Mss. Business Directory 1859 is boot and shoemaker residing in Auraria City on 5th Street. (Now called Larimer Street.) He died in 1872, having lived during about 13 years in Denver. There is, in Fairmont, an old marble shaft, removed from the cemetery formerly called Mt. Prospect Cemetery. It has the name of Herman Wagner, possibly same. (?) He is said to have arrived in Colorado from Decatur, Illinois, was born in Germany, emigrated first to Tiffin, Ohio, then Cleveland. He married Decatur, Illinois and at death left nine children and owned a large tract of land, 320 acres.
WAGONER, Anthony, or Waggoner, had coal land claim, 160 acres, a piece designed for ranching, also for coal, situated on Dry Creek, about 13 miles from Denver, adjacent claim of John Wagoner, and located Dec 28, 1859, recorded Jan 6, 1860. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
WAGONER, Charles, had ranche claim 160 acres, on Dry Creek taken Jan 6, 1860. An arrival of 1859.
WAGONER, John, claims 160 acres for ranche and coal mining purposes, situated on Dry Creek, about 12-1/2 miles from Denver. Dec 28, 1859.
WAINWRIGHT, J. W., was residing, Apr 23, 1859, at Jefferson Trading Post near Long’s Peak. (RMN) He was of St. Louis, Missouri and a settler at Boulder Creek Diggings later. He arrived 1858, it is said.
WAIT, Calvin, arrived Jun 4, 1859, and was member of the Society of Gilpin County Pioneers, who attended his funeral. He died Mar 21, and his funeral occurred from the Methodist Church at Nevadaville Mar 22, 1885.
WAIT, L. A., in Colorado Republican of Dec 12, 1861 it says: “Our old friend, L. A. Wait, of Gold Dirt, a good Republican gives the Colorado Republican a call.” This may be a very early arrival in the goldfields. (?)
WAKEFIELD & COMPANY, four men, mining, summer of 1859, in Pleasant Valley.
WAKELEY, Miss F., a singer, mentioned in the paper as being at Apollo Theatre during 1859.
WAKELEY, G., proprietor of the new Ambrotype Gallery on Larimer Street opposite Apollo Theatre. “Mr. Wakeley is an artist from Chicago, Illinois, and is prepared to take Ambrotypes, or pictures on leather for mailing, which can be sent to any part of the world for the cost of a letter only. Perfect satisfaction given, or the money refunded.” (Advertized in RMN, p. 3, Nov 10, 1859) This is headed “Wakeley’s Gallery.” There is earlier in the same year, Feb 1859, a purchase of Auraria lots (4) by George Wakeley, with witness to deed M. Wakeley. They were still in Denver 1860 for George Wakeley is witness to deed in Auraria on Feb 10 of that year.
WAKELEY, Matilda, may be of same family of Wakeleys, though her purchase of lot 7, block 68 on Feb 7, 1860 makes it doubtful in absence of other evidence. She is probably a Fiftyniner. (?) (May be the M. Wakeley, signed as witness to purchase of lots by George Wakeley in Feb 1859.)
WALKER, A. W., signed in list of ten in back of the old Gregory Book at Central. Matters of 1859 are in this book and it is thought by the present clerk that the list in back refers to persons of that date. He is noted as having “paid, Jul 25, $1.” C. W. Walker, also J. W. Walker, are also here signed.
WALKER, Isaiah, is grantor from Auraria Town Company, Dec 6, 1859, four Auraria City lots. (Arapahaoe County Land Records, Liber C, p. 283, old)
WALKER, Thomas, of Mountain City and Gregory Diggings, was partner of B. O. Russell in Starling Lode on Bobtail, near Mountain City. (Gregory Record)
WALKER, W. S., of Denver City, on Jan 2, 1860 is grantor of 60 acres land on South Platte, 20 miles below Denver, and below Pierce claim. Arapahoe County Land Records) W. S. Walker is member of Walker & Company, doing business at Gregory. There was a George B. Walker (possibly related to these men?) who died at Hot Springs, Arkansas Jan 22, 1874. The RMN at this date refers to him editorially, stating that he had been connected with the firm of Clark, Gruber & Company from 1860 to 1864, and with Clark & Company at Central from 1864 to 1868. Later he lived at Georgetown.
THE WALKER COMPANY, Mountain City and Gregory Diggings, was on Oct 3, 1859 in dispute with the Newport Tunnelling Company, which claimed 500 feet on northwest side of hill above Dry Gulch. Names of members of the Walker Company are: W. S. Walker, F. R. Ford, J. S. Reams, Ran Carroll, William Air. (Gregory Record, p. 47)
WALL, David K., an experienced California miner of 1853-4 and arrival in Colorado of Apr 29, 1859, came directly from South Bend, Indiana, but was born in Logan County, Ohio May 26, 1826, a son of Benjamin Wall who emigrated to South Bend. David Wall erected a frame building in Golden, now gone, but used by Mason Seavey as a general store. He arrived from across the plains with a wagon full of garden seeds, and took a claim in the fertile valley near Golden (near the present site of the Colorado & Southern Freight depot), and here he soon had a show place, fine gardens, wonderful flowers, and for all of his productions he obtained enormous prices. He was in the year of his arrival a member of the Golden City Association and later had an agency in Auraria where his seeds were sold. He was a member of the Provisional Legislature in Nov 1859. One of the events of his life was that he “grub-staked” Gregory for his memorable trip into the mountains, where he discovered the famous Gregory Lode. This was in May of that famous year. The companions of Gregory shared in the benefits of Mr. Wall’s generosity.
He married in South Bend, Indiana 1865, Eliza, daughter of Col. L. M. Taylor, of that place. Later in life he was a partner of one of the Witter brothers and was always a most respected and substantial citizen of Denver and vicinity. (See Hall’s History Colorado, Vol. 1, pp. 193-210)
WALL, J. H., arrived Apr 29, 1859 (same date as arrival of David K. Wall). He is living (not marked deceased) in Hall’s List of Pioneers, 1890. He was born Jan 27, 1842 in Indiana. He is shareholder in Golden City Association in year of his arrival in goldfields, owning share 18, for he transfers it on Oct 15 to J. L. Kirby who seems to be his partner. He has many other shares. The following death is given notice of on Nov 11, 1863: Emma, daughter of J. H. Wall of Golden City died in Denver, at residence of J. M. Veasey on this date.
WALL, John C., Dec 12, 1859, makes claim to land for ranche purposes in Jefferson County, Jefferson Territory, filed for record Jan 9, 1860. (Golden Liber) His land on Ralston Creek 160 acres was lying next claim of William Allen, located summer of this year, and he also incorporated in year of his arrival the Clear Creek Lumbering Company (December). His death is announced in the Rocky Mountain Herald, Jul 7, 1860. “Died, at Golden City, Jul 2, 1860 (Sunday evening) very unexpectedly, only ill a week, Mr. John C. Wall of Golden City. Born Logan County, Ohio Aug 1833, removed South Bend, Indiana 1836, and came to Golden Nov 30, 1859 to join his brother. He was beloved by all who knew him.”
The Western Mountaineer also has article, almost same, on same date or near the time, and states that he was aged 27 years and a son of Benjamin Wall of South Bend, Indiana, and brother of D. K. Wall of Golden. The funeral was at the residence of his brother-in-law, Mr. J. N. Veasey. “The body has been placed in a tin coffin, and put in a stone vault erected for the purpose, overlooking the garden which has been the scene of his labors during the spring just passed and will be taken during the coming fall to his late home in Indiana.”
WALL & BRIGHT, grantors, Jun 1, 1859, claim in Gregory Lode. (p. 31, Gregory Record)
WALLACE, C., name in arrival list of RMN spring 1859, from Indiana. (See under D. Boyd for his travelling companions.)
WALLACE, W. R., resident in 1881 of Leadville, was a member of one of Fremont’s exploring expeditions to Colorado. (Rocky Mountain Herald, Feb 7, 1925)
WALLINGFORD, D. P., Right Worshipful Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Missouri, A.F. & A.M., resident of Denver, was entrusted Aug 15, 1859 with the dispensation from M. W. Brother, Richard R. Rees, Grand Master of Kansas Territory, with instructions to set the brethren of Auraria to work in due order. (There is another Masonic booklet, which states that Wallingford was D. Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Kansas Territory.) Whichever is correct, he installed the officers of that new body and set its officers at labor on Oct 1, 1859. The store of Wallingford & Murphy was at Larimer and H. (17th) in this year, being the first building said to have had a wooden floor (Moore’s Early Days in Denver, Mss. 3): They had groceries and all kinds of miners’ supplies. Also handled gold dust, taking it in payment for anything, and selling it again. James Murphy was the partner. They also went into an insurance and a banking company. Being from Missouri, it was natural that they should want to raise the Confederate flag, and they did. It is said that the crowd ridiculed it, but did not try forcibly to remove it, but the proprietors, judging the spirit of the audience, decided not to fly it another day, and did not do so. It was well they did not, for they had received notice from the citizens that no other than the Stars and Stripes would be tolerated.
WALMESLEY, James Locke, called Lock Walmsley, and James Walmesley in different papers. He and his brother Thomas J. Walmesley owned the noted ranche of the name. Several land records exist relating to these names, and one death as follows: “Died, in Golden, Dec 30, 1867, Richardson Wamsley, son of Lock and Mary Wamsley, aged 8 years.” (Transcript, Golden)
WALMESLEY RANCHE, consisted of 320 acres situated on the main travelled road between Denver and Golden City, being 10 miles from the former, 5 miles from the last. It was known as the Walmesley Ranche, but in Oct 1859 it was bought by Richard H. Templeton and Eli Fletcher of James Lock Walmsley. (East of David Sturgis’ Ranche.) (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 47)
WALROD, Abraham, an old Fortyniner in California, arrived in Colorado Oct 10, 1858. Born Onandoga County, New York 1825. He did not bring his family out until 1860, and they claim that Mary Walrod was one of the first, if not the first white girl born in Denver. He mined in various counties, or camps, especially California Gulch and vicinity. His wife was Miss Emily Cramblett of Fulton County, Illinois. In his trip to Colorado he accompanied the D. C. Oakes party of five men. He had lived previously in Iowa, town called Glenwood. Lived in Denver after coming to the camps. He is mentioned in Bancroft’s History Colorado, p. 367.
WALSH, H. S., stockholder Denver City Town Company, 1859, Grantee of Denver lots in that year.
WANLESS, Col. John, born 1833, lived Colorado Springs a good deal. The Colorado Republican of Jul 13, 186? says that he was admitted to practice law by District Court of Illinois in La Salle County Aug 1856. He and Mrs. Wanless arrived Pike’s Peak Feb 14, 1859.
WANNAMAKER, J. E., born Ohio Apr 7, 1838. Arrived Colorado Jul 1, 1859. Had ranche near Golden, where he always lived. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society.
WARD, J., arrived May 30, 1859 by Santa Fe Trail, 60 day trip, 10 others in party, all from Clayton, Georgia. (RMN)
WARD, Seth, an arrival of 1858, living at the Forks of the St. Vrain. (Hall’s Colorado History)
WARNER, E. H., Dec 13, 1858 had Donation Lots (4) from Denver Town Company, with his agreement to build hewed log house. He was a witness in lot sale Sep 1859, and was still in Denver City, and grantor, Oct 17, same year. Later a mention is made in papers of an E. H. Warren of Mountain City. May be same. (?)
WARNER, R., grantee, from D. J. Batchelder, claim in Gregory Diggings, Mountain City Sep 7, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 6)
WARNER, Thomas, lived Oct 17, 1859, Auraria. Grantee of Denver lots.
WARREN, Cyrus, mentioned in Bancroft as living 1859 at the American side of Pueblo, member of the company.
WARREN, E., of Indiana, candidate for Justice of the Peace. Fought duel in the new Colorado Diggings, 1859, and was killed.
WARREN, Thomas, ferryman and brickmaker, began operating rival ferry on Platte, from foot of eleventh (then Ferry Street) early in 1859. He was appointed first Major of the Governor’s Guard by Gov. Steele. Later he is of Gregory Diggings, and member first Constitutional Convention from that district, in Jun 1859. He is said to have been Kentuckian. Nov 17, during the year, he challenged Byers to a duel for publishing his name in a list of delinquent debtors in that year. Of course Byers did not fight, but invited the Kentuckian to come in and murder him whenever he felt inclined. (See Thomas H. Warren, following.)
WARREN, Thomas H., brickmaker and general dealer, Directory of 1859. Lived in Auraria. Was witness in sale of lots in August, grantor of land near Colorado City Nov 1859, and with his wife, whose name is not stated in copy in Land Records office of Arapahoe County, signed in December paper relating to Denver lots. Nov 5 he is grantee of a tract of land near Colorado Springs, including boiling springs, three soda springs, etc., and grants permission to R. L. Wooten, L. J. Winchester, and N. G. Wyatt to occupy land and use cabin until 1860, and cause hewed log house to be built and occupied as long as desired.
(See Thomas Warren, above. It is possible there are two men, as often happened, with slight difference in name. But initials were so often left out, in reporting the matters that it is a hard matter to be certain which one was the brickmaker. No doubt the other was not a brickmaker, and only one was likely to be in the first Constitutional Convention. (?))
WARREN & COMPANY, brick manufacturers, Auraria & Denver, 1859. (RMN)
WASHAM, N., arrived Cherry Creek with Capt. William Valentine’s train of six wagons, 23 days from St. Joseph, Missouri, from La Salle, Illinois, Apr 14, 1859. Reported in list in Cherry Creek Pioneer, Vol. 1, No. 1.
WASHBURNE, A. J., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, living in Denver 1920. He arrived Jun 11, 1859, was born in Maine, Mar 4, 1827.
WASHBURNE, G. H., of firm of Washburne, Miller & Company, Mountain City Association with J. D. Miller. He was resident of Deadwood Diggings in June, for he was a delegate from that precinct to the first Constitutional Convention. It is at one time stated in the papers that “G. W. Washburne sails for St. Joseph, Missouri, on boat, “Empire State,” for Tompkins County, Nebraska Territory.”
WASHBURNE, G. W., this name is probably G. H. (?), a resident of Mountain City.
WATERBURY, Edmond B., buys William Clancy’s Donation Lots, Sep 24, 1859 and on Nov 29 is grantee of 160 acres, on west side Platte, near Smith & Chubbock’s claims. He is a merchant in Directory of Business Men of this year, and place of trade is at Blake Street. On Feb 19, 1860, E. Waterbury, is mentioned as a founder of the Episcopal Church in Denver.
WATSON, J. W., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, born Ohio Oct 11, 1830, arrived Denver Jun 1859. Lived Denver much of time. (?)
WATSON, Joseph, claim mentioned, in Nevada Gulch Sep 29, 1859. Watson & Company, two men. (Gregory Records, p. 10)
WATT, William, partner of Kilpatrick & Company in claim in Gregory Diggings, Jun 20, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 19)
WATTBURY, Fred, arrived with Mrs. Wattbury Jul 1859, lived at Brighton Station.
WATTS, J. C., has his horse stolen and makes arrests in May 1859. (RMN, files, May)
WATTS, Sylvester & Company, with four men, arrived from St. Louis, Missouri, May 15-16, 1859 by Arkansas Route. He is member Colorado Pioneers’ Society about 1907, when he lives in St. Louis.
WAY, C. S., owns lots in Denver Aug 23, 1859. (Land Records)
WAY, H., or Hank Way, the pioneer blacksmith of 1858 whose shop was near Blake Street, at crossing of Cherry Creek. He was a partner in firm of Perrin & Way, in conveying lots, Jul 6, 1859, Denver.
WAY, Patrick, or P. H. Way, “of County of Araphoe” Nov 7, 1858, made location of a ranche for home on right hand side of Cherry Creek and South Platte River, at their confluence. He sells this claim Nov 27, 1859 to Daniel S. Bentley of Arapahoe County for $1,000 except that Way reserves one acre of land at the place where his houses now stand. P. H. Way files for record May 26, 1860, statement of his ranche claim “taken Nov 9, 1858” by him, on east bank Cherry Creek, running north to Platte River, 160 acres. P. Way sells lots on McGaa Street between B. and C. Streets, and one house partly furnished, to Jesse G. Ahren May 23, 1859, for $20.
WAYSMAN, James K., was grantee, of lot 10, block 8, Auraria City in Sep 1859.
WEAVERVILLE MINING COMPANY, a placer camp, with cabins, the men mining in Vasques River bed.
WEBSTER, W. C., see under M. L. Mathes. He arrived from Mt. Pulaski, Illinois, in spring of 1859. (RMN, old files, 1859)
WEBSTER, Hon. W. W., Republican, 7th District, member 1875-6 Constitutional Convention (under which we now prosper in 1926). Born in Loraine County, Ohio 1835. Arrived Colorado Jun 1859. Mining, member Territorial Legislature 1866, Council 1868, Legislature 1871. Lives Summit County 1876, at Montezuma, engaged in merchandizing, and stock raising. (From Biographical sketches of the members of the Convention of 1875-6 published while the body was in session.)
WEBSTER & COMPANY, mining Clear Creek and Boulder camps of 1859. (Files)
WEED, George W., of Empire Ranche, delegate to 2nd Constitutional Convention 1859. George Weed was Sergeant-at-arms of either the first or second of these 1859 Conventions. G. W. Weed was Territorial Representative elect of the 18th District in this year, and George W. Weed located claim Nov 7, 1859 on Little Bear Creek. (Weed & Company Ranche, P. B. Cheeny the partner.) (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 19) This place contains 360 acres, for ranche, and Public House purposes, six miles south of Pleasant Park in Little Bear Creek.
George W. Weed was Vice President of the Illion Town Company Dec 1859. This place was in Jefferson County. In Feb 1860 he lives on Cub Creek, and accommodates the public there.
WEED, W. W., was a witness to mining transfer at Mountain City Sep 20, 1859. (Gregory Record p. 49)
WEEKS, James A., arrived 1858 at goldfields in small party with Corbin or Corbet Bacon.
WEISER & COMPANY, four men, mining in Pleasant Valley 1859, summer.
WELLER, G., arrived May 29, 1859 from Fountain County (Fontaine), Indiana with 12 others from Leavenworth by Smoky Hill Route, starting Apr 21. (RMN, List of Arrivals, May 1859)
WELLMAN, Henry L., born Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania Dec 28,1821, and pioneer of Boulder County 1859. He is brother of Sylvanus and Luther C. Remained on his father’s farm until 1845, then removed to Hamilton, New York, served apprenticeship to currier’s trade, which he followed until 1851. Then he joined his brother Luther C. in California, mining. Then 1856, returned to Bradford County, Pennsylvania, and Mar 1859 left with Luther C. for Pike’s Peak. Had ox teams, one wagon, provisions, mining tools. They met the Horace Greeley party, and were advised to go on. This they did, arriving Aug 1. He married 1864 Miss Electa Bennett of Dixon, Illinois. Lives in 1880 at Jamestown, Boulder County, mining and stock raising.
WELLMAN, Luther C., born Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania Mar 20, 1826, a brother of Henry L. and Sylvanus Wellman, and an arrival of Aug 1859 with his brother, Henry L. In 1845 he left his father’s farm and engaged in bridge building with New York and Erie Railroad, until 1847. Then removed with William, an elder brother, to Bradford County, Pennsylvania, in stock and butchering business. In 1872, married Mary, daughter Isaac Hopkins of Valmont, Boulder County. Built a stone residence on his farm where he lived until 1879, then sold to D. K. Sternberg, and has (1880) removed to Gunnison County to engage in mining. He was member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, and is stated in list as having arrived Jul 9. All the Wellman brothers lived a while in Boulder City.
WELLMAN, Sylvanus, arrived Boulder County 1859, and brother of Henry L. and Luther C. He came with them from Bradford County, Pennsylvania to goldfields in company with G. F. Chase and 10 others (see). Located and took up land in Boulder County and built stone residence in 1874 on his farm, where he is living in 1880. Married Oct 1865 Miss Romelia A., daughter of Reuben E. and Lucinda Towner, of Boulder, formerly from State of New York. (Notes of the Wellman brothers are from the Bascom, History of Clear Creek and Boulder Valley.)
WELLS, Reuben C., emigrated Colorado 1859 and lived in Golden, returned to the States, and did not come again until 1869. Born Moline, Rock Island County, Illinois, Sep 26, 1833, son of Huntington Wells of Rock Island, Illinois, both parents natives of New England. Very early pioneer of Illinois, went with father to California 1849, where his father died in a short time. He stayed until 1853, mining. Then returned Illinois. Later in Golden, Colorado bought the paper mill and was 1878 in Legislature. Married in Moline, Illinois Miss Henrietta Warner. Had one daughter.
WELLS, Simeon L., there is statement in the booklet published by Lodge No. 5, A.F. & A.M. Colorado 1909 that he, and several others attempted to start a Masonic Lodge in Denver early in 1859, and petitioned the Grand Lodge of Kansas for this object.
WELSH, Mr., artist, taking pictures in Auraria, mentioned in RMN. “Mr. Welsh is taking views to illustrate Frank Leslie’s magazine. He arrived in Denver and Auraria, and is going into the mountains for the same purpose.” Jun 11, 1859. (RMN, files)
WELSH, F. G., “of Territory of Arapahoe,” grantee of lot 1, block 43, Auraria City, Aug 30, 1859.
WELSH, Hugh S., a stockholder in Denver City Town Company 1859.
WELSH, Martin S., witness to deed Nov 9, 1859, Auraria lots transaction between S. H. Carr and Kinna & Nye. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber C, p. 125, old)
WELSH, Walter J., was signed as witness to deed Oct 3, 1859, Arapahoe County, and on Oct 8 is grantee of Denver City lots. Is witness again Nov 9 to signing of trust deed for three yoke oxen and heavy iron axletree wagon from Stephen H. Carr to Kinna & Nye. Another transaction Nov 24 is in Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 230, old.
WELSH, BOWENS & COMPANY, had Golden City lots “Drawn as Donated” by the Golden City Association 1859.
WELTON, M. W., witness Jul 8, 1859, to land deed, Denver.
WELTON, Norton W., on Jul 18, 1859 had land transaction Denver lots 1-2, northwest corner D. and Larimer. Grantor is Welton, grantee William Henry Harrison Larimer. (The noted W. H. H. Larimer.) N. W. Welton was a stockholder in Denver City Town Company, same year.
WEST, --- of firm of Hopkins & West, mining summer of 1859, in Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats.
WEST, A., witness in Auraria sale of lots Nov 1859. A. C. West is President of the Rocky Mountain Debating Club, same year, mentioned in the papers. (See old files.)
WEST, George, (Gen. George West), late Adj. Gen. Colorado National Guard, was born Claremont, New Hampshire Nov 26, 1826. Studied printing and had stereotype foundry in Boston, when young, and was one of the members and organizers of the celebrated “Boston Company” noted in early days of 1859 when many of the nine members visited the goldfields, West arriving Jun 10. He was one of the many driving ox teams, and built the first house in Golden, which is still standing in 1880, a good hewn log house, later owned and occupied by John Nicholls. In Denver he leased, in year of arrival, the Gibson printing plant, and begun publication of The Western Mountaineer, Dec 7, and the paper continued into the following year. It was a splendid little paper, filled with news of the mining camps. The file is at this date (1926) owned by his son Harley West, who published the Transcript, its successor in Golden. When Smiley wrote his History of Denver in 1901 Gen. George West was proprietor of the Transcript, which begun in 1866. All the files of this paper are preserved by his son in Golden.
West was a member of the Golden City Association, in very early day. He married, in 1866, Miss Eliza M. Boyd, daughter of Judge Boyd of Golden and Jefferson County. His Will is recorded in that county, dated Mar 24, 1885. His wife, Eliza Maria West being heir.
The RMN, p. 7, files Dec 5, 1899, published portrait of him.
WEST, William, is grantee of some Denver lots Dec 11, 1859. On Mar 12, 1860, in City of Auraria, he was shot and killed by Moses Young. (Self Defense) His obituary was printed in the RMN: Died Mar 13, buried at Mt. Prospect Cemetery under auspices of the Masonic fraternity, Auraria Lodge U. D. of A.F. & A.M., and they passed resolutions of respect and condolence which were printed. He left a family. His estate was advertized for settlement Apr 23, 1860, A. Sagendorf being Administrator.
THE WESTERN MOUNTAINEER, Golden, Colorado, George West, Editor and proprietor, price $1.50 for six months, (weekly) published 47 issues, (no other copies known to be in existence) from Dec 7, 1859 to Dec 20, 1860. The time between Apr 25 and Jun 28 was without issues for some reason. The paper was very fine and thin, used in this publication, it had four pages, size 9 x 15 inches. It’s Salutatory was in issue of Dec 7, 1859, and its Valedictory on p. 2 of the last issue, Dec 20, 1860, in which it announces that it is sold to the Canon City Times or to parties who moved the plant to that City and changed its name. When it started on its career, Golden was situated in Jefferson Territory under a Provisional Government. When she finally found herself in Colorado, it was without her good little champion, which was perhaps the best of them all.
WESTON, ---, arrived from Wisconsin with party of 14 men (including self) May 26, 1859.
WESTON, Philo. M., arrived Boulder County, Colorado in 1859, then removed to Colorado City, then to Park County (1887), and in 1895 was living in Granite or near that place. He is said to have erected the first house in that time.
WEYBUSH, P. A., partner of A. H. Crook & Company, Mountain City Sep 1859. Is mentioned on p. 35 of old Gregory Record.
WEYHRICH & COMPANY, with six men, mining in Pleasant Valley, summer 1859.
WHEATON, Gen. Frank Wheaton, said by his friends to be the first white man known certainly to have set foot on the site of Denver in 1857. He was with a military party in Indian warfare, and then a Lieut. on staff of Col. Sumner, against the Cheyennes and had started from Leavenworth. He was sent with two Indian scouts to choose a camp site and selected the spot at junction of Cherry Creek and the Platte River. He married Maria B. ---. His death occurred in 1924. (Denver Evening Times, p. 4, Aug 22, 1924)
WHEELER, Hon. John S., was a witness, Denver, (Arapahoe County Land Records) 1859. Born Groton, Worchester County, Massachusetts Nov 7, 1833, removed first to Dresden, Ohio in 1843, where he later became County Clerk and Recorder. Then came to Pike’s Peak, arriving Denver May 12. In 1869 he was ranching at Fort Lupton. Probate Judge of Weld County later, and was in 1876 member of the Constitutional Convention, which made the existing laws under which the State is governed. (Biographical Record of Members of the Convention, published at time of its session)
WHEELER, Theodore E., arrived Jun 18, 1859. (List of the Colorado Pioneers’ Society) Born in Massachusetts (T. E. Wheeler, probably same). Although this note says T. E arrived May 17 of the year. However, it is probably same party. Born Sep 13, 1836, lived in Fort Lupton.
WHEELOCK, (Brothers), accompanied a party in Oct 1858 which arrived at Old Fort St. Vrain. The other members of the party were: Capt. Yount, Charles Clouser, A. A. Brookfield, Capt. Thomas Aikens, and S. J. Aikens, his son. (Boulder Valley History)
WHEELOCK, D. B., grantor, of lots on McGaa and E. Streets, consideration $10, May 17, 1859, the same being his Donation Lots from the Town Company. They are described as being on the northwest corner of those streets. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old)
WHIPPLE, W. W., arrived Apr 10, 1859. Born Jackson County, Michigan Oct 24, 1837. Worked in setting up first number of the RMN in Apr 1859. He is said to have described the Jackson Diggings, named for that pioneer. He worked placers successfully, and mined in Chicago Creek District. Said to have been from Illinois to the mines. In 1873 purchased interest in Central City Daily Register, in partnership with Frank Hall. Later was of firm of Whipple & Pierson in book and job printing at Denver. They were doing Legal printing in 1880. He married in Jackson, Michigan 1867, a daughter of Russell Ford.
WHISKYHOLE DIGGINGS, some placers on South Platte, not highly esteemed in 1859.
WHITE, A. S., a resident of Arapahoe City 1859. (Clipping)
WHITE, Capt., of Omequa, miner in Rocky Mountains, mentioned. (RMN)
WHITE, D. D. & COMPANY, (F. J. Marshall and H. D. Williams are partners), grantees of Auraria lots from the Town Company Dec 6, 1859.
WHITE, J., (See under D. D. Stout).
WHITE, J. E., from list in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2. He arrived May 13, 1859. Born Pennsylvania Feb 25, 1833. Resides in Denver 1890.
WHITE, J. W., witness of deed, May 17, 1859, Denver City. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
WHITE, James, arrived mouth Cherry Creek with Lawrence Party 1858 in the eleventh wagon. (See this.) There was a James White who 1860 was in Denver, for he signed as witness there, Jan 21.
WHITE, James E., his Auraria lots sold at instance of Joseph E. Wooten, Oct 26, 1859, to Wisner and Smalley of Auraria. There were lot 7, block 4, and lot 10, block 30.
WHITE, James F., original stockholder of Auraria 1858.
WHITE, James L. (or T ?), arrived Jun 16, 1859. Died (name in List of Colorado Pioneers’ Society). Had been member. No dates.
WHITE, James S. (or L. or T.?), is grantor of quit claim deed in Arapahoe County to Malden Bledsoe, Jan 29, 1859. Consideration $125, paid by Bledsoe. Lot 3, block 7, Auraria City. “On which there is log house eight rounds high.” Witnessed by S. M. Rooker. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 623 old)
WHITE & COMPANY, mining, five men, in Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats summer 1859.
WHITE & COMPANY, mining, three men, Nevada Gulch, summer of 1859.
WHITEHILL, Harvey H., (Whitehall?) witness, signed in Auraria Oct 10, 1859, in Arapahoe County Land Records. Harvey Whitehall is advertized in the Western Mountaineer of Golden, first number, Dec 7, this year, as being their authorized agent in Nevada, Russell’s and other mining camps.
WHITE OWL, an Arapahoe Indian Chief, whose band, embracing 50 lodges, visits Denver City and Auraria in 1859. (RMN, files)
WHITING & COMPANY, mentioned by Bancroft as discovering mines in Gilpin County. This company were mining on Clear Creek and in Boulder County 1859.
WHITLOCK, J. W., arrived May 1859, born Pennsylvania Sep 12, 1843. Residence in 1890, Brooklyn. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 565)
WHITSITT, Richard Ed., a merchant handling gold dust, a stockholder of Denver City, and member of the first Constitutional Convention in 1859, was born 1830, died 1881, and is buried at Riverside Cemetery, Denver. He arrived at goldfields with the Leavenworth Company, Nov 16, 1858. They came via Pueblo District. The two Larimers, M. M. Jewett, and Folsom Dorsett accompanied the party also. He was Recorder of the County for a long time, was 1st Adj. Gen. of Colorado, member of the Wartime Territorial Council, Auditor of Colorado 1864-66. He was one of the founders of the Episcopal Church, Denver, Feb 11, 1860; operated a good deal in real estate, both in Kansas and Colorado. His wife is said to be Miss Miles, daughter of a pioneer who had a claim near Golden. He had a niece, Miss Emma M. Gerrish, who married Frank S. Marshall, in Los Angeles, California 1880. Having no children, it is said, the Whitsitts adopted about 1865 a Navajo Indian boy and reared him. William P. McClure once challenged Whitsitt, and a duel was fought in Oct 1859, on ground about a mile above Auraria and Denver, near Cherry Creek. Morton C. Fisher was Whitsitt’s Second. McClure was hit by his adversary’s ball and wounded, but the injury was healed in about a month later. A crowd of about 200 citizens witnessed the duel, which the Sheriff was unable to stop. It made a good deal of comment and speculation as to the cause for many years afterward, both of the parties being so prominent. Portraits of Whitsitt are in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 216, and in Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 215.
WHITTAKER, N. M., arrived from Mt. Pulaski, Illinois spring of 1859. (See under M. L. Mathes.)
WHITTEMORE, J. M., member of the first Constitutional Convention, summer of 1859, living in Golden City, large shareholder in the Town Association (his shares fill a page in the Shareholders’ Old Book, now in Golden Record Office). He represented Golden in the Convention, and was also candidate for Sheriff of Jefferson County in same year. The paper once mentions the fact that he is erecting a two story store, at corner of Washington and 1st Streets. This was in December of the year, and the erection was to be 18 x 24 feet.
WHITTICK & COMPANY, (Whitlock?), mining, Russell’s Gulch, summer of 1859.
WHITTIER, James, “of Golden City, in County of Arapahoe and Territory of Kansas” for consideration of $400 grants quitclaim deed to D. D. McIlvoy, of same City and County, land in Golden City with a house thereon, the same being a part of lot 1, block 3, “Commencing at a stake placed in the corner of Washington Avenue and 1st Street, being on the northwest corner of block 3,” etc. (Long description, see in Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 4.) The witness was James McDonand, dated Oct 10, 1859.
WHORFE, L. E., is witness to deed Nov 1, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
WICKS, John S., his train arrived from Centreville, St. Joseph County, Missouri (Michigan?), 24 in crowd, May 16, 1859.
WIEDMAN, Thomas C., is probably a Fiftyniner, or on way to Pike’s Peak in that year, as he is witness in sale of Denver lots between Pritchen and Monti, Jan 16, 1860.
WIGGINS, O. P., arrived Dec 1858 to become permanent resident, though he came west of the Missouri River in 1838, and was member later of Kit Carson’s party. He became a scout and was in charge of a stage station on the Overland Trail. In 1899 he was a Guard at the Denver Post Office, then occupying the old building at Arapahoe Street and Sixteenth. In the RMN, p. 4, May 6, 1874, is the following characteristic bit of intelligence:
“Mr. O. P. Wiggins of Byers has a very fine pet in the way of a copperhead snake: it is over five feet long, and confined in a glass house.”
He was born in Canada Jul 22, 1821.
WILCOX, S. name in list of Physicians and Surgeons, Denver Business Directory of 1859, also drug store on Ferry Street, Auraria. He was also a surveyor. Dr. Wilcox had Donation Lot at one time.
WILDER, (see also under Walder or Wolder.)
WILDER, A. Carter, was a grantee several times of land or lots in Denver City 1859. May have been non-resident owner? In 1860 he is a resident of Leavenworth, Kansas, and on Apr 7 was again grantee from M. M. Jewett of lots 15-16, block 38. The following is from Lanman’s Dict. Congress, 1866, p. 411: He was born at Mendon, Worchester County, Massachusetts, Mar 18, 1828. Removed 1850 Rochester, New York, and in 1857 to Kansas, engaging in mercantile pursuits: Delegate to Chicago National Convention 1860. In 1862 elected to the 38th Congress, serving on committee on Indian Affairs. In 1864 was delegate to the Baltimore Convention.
WILDER, George, (see G. Wolder), probably in Denver many times in 1858-9. In the RMN, p. 4, Nov 4, 1867, “died at the Pacific House, in this city, at half past one o’clock Sunday, Nov 3, Mr. George Wilder. Mr. Wilder has been in the employ of the Overland Stage Company since 1858 and was recognized as one of the oldest drivers on the line.” The same paper also has an editorial mention of his funeral:
“The funeral of George Wilder, a driver on Wells Fargo & Company’s line, took place this afternoon at three o’clock. Rev. Mr. Hitchings officiating. The officers of Wells Fargo and Company, and the United States Express Company were closed, and the employes of the two lines attended in a body. The hearse was followed by two carriages and six coaches, four of which were drawn by six, and two by four horses. It would be unjust to Wells Fargo and Company not to mention their kindness and liberalty to Mr. Wilder during his long illness. He had been a faithful driver and the company ordered that the best of care and attention be shown him at their own expense. It is a common remark, that “Corporations have no souls,” but the conduct of the Company in this and other instances demonstrates that there is one exception at least. Simple justice demands that it be mentioned with praise.”
George Wilder’s name is in a list of stage drivers who ran in the sixties at various points between Atchison and Placerville. Another Wilder who may be related to those above, or some of them, is Charles Wilder, Private in Company D, 1st Colorado Volunteers, wounded Mar 28, Battle of Apache Canon, New Mexico, 1862, fighting against the rebels. Another is U. G. Wilder, came to Colorado 1863, from Joliet, Illinois, printer in Central and Blackhawk. (On Journal and Register) In 1862 worked on Boulder News. Died Boulder Dec 1923. His obituary states that he was born in New York. He was a Mason and Shriner. Left a sister, Harriet.
A child of W. F. Wilder was buried Dec 9, 1879, in block 5, lot 54 (or 57) at Riverside Cemetery, Denver. Another stone is inscribed: George C. Wilder, Jul 15, 1864, Jul 30, 1907. The compiler of this record was much interested to chance upon the grave of the old stage driver George Wilder in Fairmont Cemetery, Denver, one day a few summers ago. (See photo.) It is a small group of old stones removed from the oldest cemetery, once a crowded little city of the dead, spread out where now is Congress or Cheezman Park. The stones are noticeable for their antiquity, many of them being undecipherable. The attendants and visitors dislike them for this, as Denver people want everything very new, even death. The quaint little stones may not be there long to speak their tale of the pioneers. On Wilder’s stone the inscription reads “Erected by his Comrades of the Overland Stage Line.”
WILDER, Major William F., (of Denver as late as 1881, possibly later) arrived Dec 24, 1859. He earned his military rank in the war, which followed later. In Aug 1861 he was 1st Lieut. of Company G, 1st Regiment Colorado Volunteers. He is recorded in Hall’s List of Pioneers, Vol. 2, p. 565, as of New York birth, date 1833. He is still in Denver Jan 25, 1881, for he was at the first meeting of Colorado Pioneers (last organization of these) at the Windsor Hotel. In 1866 he, on Sep 11, is associated with Whitsitt as grantor of Denver lots and probably made other transfers. On Sep 13, 1867 the RMN speaking editorially says: “General Wilder has arrived in town from Georgetown enroute to the east. He had an exhibit at the First National Bank of fine silver bullion. Gen. Wilder has also about seven pounds of ore from the Mohawk Lode, which he proposes to take to New York. It averages about $10,000 per ton.”
Hon. D. W. Wilder is another pioneer of this name, though may be an arrival of later years. He was brother of A. C. Wilder (see above) and is editorially mentioned by the RMN, Oct 14, 1865. “He had been formerly editor of the Leavenworth Conservative, and one of the most vigorous and spicy writers in the West, and has purchased the Rochester Democrat and will hereafter conduct it.” D. W. Wilder was in 1870 (Tribune) on a committee selected by the Kansas Pacific Rail Road Company to carry out an editorial excursion over their road to Denver in October of that year. The Overland Stage Company, p. 190, mentioned him and says: “Hon. D. W. Wilder, author of The Annals of Kansas when sparking his girl, that afterward became his wife, used to trip the light fantastic toe in Kennebunk, Kansas. This was the first home station out from Atchison, and here drivers were changed.”
WILDMAN, Thomas G., Notary Public, in 1859, Denver, for on Dec 25 he attested the signature of John C. Nelson (deed to lots). He was one of the founding members of the Episcopal Church, Denver, Feb 19, 1860. Later is same year, the RMN, Oct 3, records a marriage between Thomas G. Wildman, Esq., and Miss Mary B. Kehler, at the residence of the Rev. J. H. Kehler on Lawrence Street, Sep 27.
WILEY, Palemon, arrived May 21, 1859, and name occurs in List of Pioneers marked “Died.”
WILHITE, member of Firm of Travilla & Wilhite, mentioned in Business Directory of Denver and Auraria 1859, with location at Fourth Street between Front and Cherry (lumber dealers). In the same year the firm changes name, or sold? and became Wilhite & Rogers, having sawmill at Russellville, later in Douglas County, in a district of pineries. E. S. Wilhite was a member of Auraria Masonic Lodge in 1861, and may be the same. (?)
There is a certificate of the lots of Travilla & Wilhite in Arapahoe County Land Records on Dec 9, 1859, Tonson Ann Wilhite (?) of Leavenworth, Kansas is grantee from Allie R. Travilla for a consideration of $200, Auraria Donation share No. 73, (lot 12, block 3) on 4th and Cherry Streets, Auraria. Mrs. Tomson Ann Wilhite is of Denver City Jun 4, 1860, and a grantee of Denver City lots by William Larimer, Jr. The following death notice in the paper will note the relationship of the Wilhites, or at least three of them: “Died: at Leavenworth, Kansas, Willie, son of Hon. E. S. and T. A. Wilhite of Denver, Dec 26, 1862.”
WILLARD, Dr. George M., “from St. Louis” arrived with 10 men, all but one being well, to prospect in the mountains as far as the Wind River chain. He reports for the St. Louis Republic. This was in RMN Jun 18, 1859. Later he is spoken of as being with party of prospectors in the mountains.
WILLARD, R. mentioned in paper as leaving for Fort Des Moines, Iowa in autumn of 1859.
WILLARD, R. H., is witness Sep 27, 1859 in transaction of Auraria lots between M. L. McCaslin & A. O. Holcombe. (May be same above ?)
WILLETS, John S., severely frozen at Cache-la-Poudre, and brought to Denver for medical aid. He survives and must get generous assistance financially. Both legs taken off. (Western Mountaineer or RMN, Dec 28, 1859)
WILLETT, Paul, of Lawrence Lodge, No. 6, Kansas, was one of the founding members of Auraria Lodge in 1859. (Masonic)
WILLIAMS, A. T., witness in Golden early in Jan 1860, from Land Records, Liber A, may be another of 1859 or possibly misspelled for A. J. Williams. (?)
WILLIAMS, Andrew J., arrived Aug 1858 accompanied by Charles H. Blake, his partner, bringing four wagon loads of merchandise, drawn by as many ox teams. Nov 1 he became stockholder in Auraria Town Company and his firm, Blake and Williams, was considered very flourishing even before the year was out. He was from Crescent City, Iowa, but was born in New York State Nov 22, 1833. The compiler of this record lives today (1926) upon a street in Denver named for this pioneer. Blake was earlier honored by naming a street for himself down town, now below Larimer and considered in the slums. His, or their, store in Auraria was said to have been the first one erected, though another party had store in a tent. Williams’ father was from Rhode Island, and the family traced descent, it is said, from Roger Williams, the illustrious pioneer of America. Franklin County, New York, in which Andrew J. first saw the light was his father’s second home. His mother is said to have been a Hutchinson from Vermont. Andrew J. learned the “Art preservative of art” (printing) but was most of his life interested in mercantile pursuits, real estate, etc. He owned a fine farm down the Platte from Denver about 1882, and was President of the Exchange Bank, with J. M. Strickler, Ebert and others, but this failed at that time. (He was President of bank 1878.)
During the second year of his arrival he was member of the first Constitutional Convention in June, delegate from Fort Lupton and was owner, or proprietor, with Blake of Denver House, also the Denver Hall, two very good buildings. He dissolves partnership with Blake on Jul 30 in the matter of the Denver House. He was stockholder also of Denver City Town Company in this year. (His Select Lots are described in Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 18, old.) (For his portraits see Hall’s History Colorado, Vol. 2, p. 228.)
WILLIAMS, B. L., witness to statement of Boston Company, Golden, Sep 5, 1859. (May be Beverley D.?)
WILLIAMS, Beverley D., said to be a native of Danville, Boyle County, Kentucky, and first appeared in Denver City as the manager of the Leavenworth and Pike’s Peak Express Company. He is said to have laid out the line of this company, and was the first duly accredited delegate to Congress. He was in 1859 a member of the first Constitutional Convention, representing as a delegate, Beaver Creek Precinct.
During Jan 10, 1862, the Colorado Republican announces the fact that he is a rebel prisoner in Jefferson City, Missouri on date Jan 2. He had stirred up secession in Calloway County and is referred to as a “very rank Rebel.” Hall states that he was practicing law in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1901, and that he never returned to Denver but once and that was in 1887. A portrait is in Smiley’s History Colorado, p. 313.
WILLIAMS, David A., mentioned in Jefferson County Land Records, Jan 5, 1860, as having claim (ranche) next that of Henry McGugin, in that county.
WILLIAMS, G. R., of Boulder in 1881, is said to be an arrival of 1859.
WILLIAMS, H. D., Donation Lots from Auraria Town Company Dec 26, 1859.
WILLIAMS, Harriet, “of Golden City,” in the county of Jefferson, and Territory of Jefferson, has located a claim for farming and ranching, and other purposes, 160 acres, near eastern boundary of Golden City, and claimed Jan 7, 1860. It is announced by the Western Mountaineer in Dec 1859 that Mrs. Harriet Williams is building a large two story frame house in Golden City, to be occupied by herself as a boarding house. There is a marriage between Mrs. Harriet Williams and Daniel McCleery somewhere in the files of 1860 or near that year, but this compiler has mislaid the statistics. (See) Was an 1859 shareholder in the Golden City Association, and her name in the old Record Book.
WILLIAMS, J. E., arrived Apr 27, 1859, was born Connecticut Apr 21, 1834. Jun 19 of year of arrival he files claim for ranche land (see Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber C, p. 229 old.) (Hall’s List of Pioneers, Vol. 2)
WILLIAMS, Jack, mentioned in papers as being with a company mining in Russell’s Gulch, 1859.
WILLIAMS, L A., from Vermont, is said by Bancroft to have erected steam saw mill in Denver 1859. The RMN states that he had brought this across the plains on wagon drawn by oxen, and that he also engaged in stock raising and farming on Cherry Creek, two miles from town. His arrival at Denver said to be Mar 28. In 1872 he is married to Miss Mary Hacker, and they had two children later it is said. He lived in the Arkansas Valley.
WILLIAMS, Lemuel S., grantee, Aug 6, 1859, from H. D. McClain, lot adjacent the Stag Hall Saloon on Lawrence Street between said Hall and C. Street, Denver City, “with logs which are on the said lot.” Consideration $75. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old)
WILLIAMS, N. W., “paid Jul 25 $1 signed C.C.P.” notes in back of old Gregory Record of 1859, and supposed by the record office clerks to be made in that time.
WILLIAMS, Orson B., of Arapahoe County, is grantor of lot in City of Auraria, Dec 1859.
WILLIAMS, R., lives at Pollock’s Ranche, one and a half miles south of Lone Tree. May 7, 1859. (RMN, see old files of date.)
WILLIAMS, William, (Old Parson Bill Williams), as he was known in the vernacular, was born in Kentucky, it is stated, was of good education and had been a Methodist circuit rider in early life. He abandoned civilization, took up a trappers life on the plains and in the Rocky Mountains, became familiar and friendly with many wild tribes of Indians, learned a number of the languages, and was noted at the time of Fremont’s disastrous fourth expedition, which set out into the mountains Oct 19, 1848. He had been engaged as chief guide by Fremont to conduct the party over the Sangre de Christo Mountains. But Fremont became displeased with him because he would not advise an advance over a perfectly inaccessible part of the range, sent him to the rear in disgrace and took upon himself to go on with his men being guided and advised by one of the under scouts. After incredible sufferings the whole party returned to Taos, and later Williams attempted, with a party, which he organized, to go over the horrible trail again and recover some of the lost equipment. Eleven bodies also were left on that trail. Wooten and Kit Carson have said, according to details given in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 238 (see also Vol. 1, p. 124), that Williams was in no way responsible for the misfortune, and that Fremont, being most stubborn, was entirely to blame. Williams was murdered by Indians some time afterward, while on one of his less important expeditions. Wooten says that he was sixty years of age, and had been on the plains since 1831, and was a skillful, brave and experienced mountaineer, and wonderfully powerful and eloquent in oratory, but a very “singular” man. His name was almost a household word among the pioneers of 1858-9, and some of them said that he had found the gold in that particular spot, after his return from California in the late forties.
WILLIAMSON, George R., a son of Thomas Williamson, and born Mercer County, Pennsylvania Jul 13, 1824 on a farm, became superintendent of Davison Coal banks, Beaver County, of that State, his uncle William Fruit being its owner. In 1855 he removed to Decatur County, Nebraska Territory. He bought land, but gave it up and crossed plains to the goldfields in 1858, prospecting in all the camps of Gilpin County, and later built Bear Creek toll road. He found valuable mines in what later was called the Sugar Load [Loaf?] District, which yielded afterward over half a million dollars. In 1880 he owns 400 feet of tunnels in the Yellow Pine Mine, which he discovered. On another mine he owns 1,000 feet of tunnels, and on another 300 feet. In 1880 his wealth was estimated at a million dollars. In 1895 he was President of the Boulder National Bank. The above notes are from the History Boulder County, published 1880, and from newspaper mentions.
WILLING, Dr. George M., miner, at bases of the mountains, late of Missouri, is a candidate for delegate to Congress, Nov 3, 1859. (RMN, p. 2), one of the opponents of Beverley L. Williams, who was elected. The mission was one of appeal and supplication as to the wants of the new colony, and the elected one not a regular member of Congress, because no state or territory existed there. Later he opens an office at Mr. Dolman’s boarding house in Auraria, offering his professional services. He had been mining at the base of the Snowy Range.
WILLIS & COMPANY, mining, with three men, Russell’s Gulch, summer of 1859.
WILLIS, CAPT. & COMPANY, his or their train arrives (RMN list May 23, 1859) with 6 wagons and 42 persons. (He is “of Sidney, Illinois.)
WILLIS, P. E., arrived with William Green Russell’s party from Georgia 1859. (Arrival noted in RMN.)
WILLIS, R. or Robert, appointed in 1859 presiding Judge for Pike County by Gov. Steele, “until his successor is elected.” This was in December. Later the paper announces that, “Robert Willis returns from the East.” He was an original member Auraria Town Company 1858. In 1890 was resident of Huerfano. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 4, p. 24) Probably Robert Willis and R. B. and Robert B. Willis are the same (?) as the last named description gives La Veta 1920 and is said to be an arrival of 1858. Certificate of his Denver lots in Dec 1859 are to be seen at Arapahoe County Land Office, and he was a Vice President of the first Society of Colorado Pioneers mentioned in paper RMN as being those of 1858-9. (Only these accepted for membership.) There was one R. B. Willis came with the Lawrence Party. See also under McFadden. Member also of the Mammoth Quartz Lead Mining Company.
WILLIS, W. J., was mentioned in RMN of 1859 as mining at Gregory Diggings, and a member of the Rocky Mountain Rangers.
WILLMAN, or WILMAN, W. T., (see under D. D. Stout).
WILLMAN, W. C., arrived from Rockport, Illinois (list in RMN spring 1859)
WILLOUGHBY, Edmund A., a son of Gen. Franklin Willoughby, a leading man and pioneer of New York, (Judge Wetzel Willoughby of the Court of Appeals of Virginia being his brother, and uncle of the Colorado pioneer). Another uncle, and brother of his father being Rev. B. F. Willoughby of Oneida, New York, was born Groton, Tompkins County, New York, Jan 6, 1836, and joined party for Pike’s Peak 1858, where they arrived Oct 27. He soon began work, carpentering with M. A. Avery as most of the people were mining, and no one was building the houses. They soon had too much to do. The old Denver Hall is one of their productions, and in 1871-2 begun manufacturing bricks. These bricks were called the Willoughby brick later. Sheriff of Arapahoe County 1873, and Alderman (4th Ward). (Bancroft) According to Larimer he was the man who put up the first winter quarters in Auraria. (?)
His Auraria lots from the Town Company (probably Select Lots, as they are four in number) are described in Liber E, p. 228, old. In Oct 1859 they were selected. In that year his shop was on Arapahoe Street, Denver, but in 1870 we find him on G. Street (Sixteenth).
He had married in 1864 Mrs. Martha B. Whiting and in 1880, date of publication of what is called the “Vickers” History of Denver (from which several of the above notes are taken), had two sons. The following death is mentioned in RMN, Dec 11, 1870: Died Eddy, son of E. A. and Martha B. Willoughby, aged two years. Funeral from residence of parents, corner L. and Lawrence Streets. (L. Street was what is now 21st Street.) E. A. Willoughby was for years Secretary of the Society of Colorado Pioneers, and his portrait is in Daily RMN, p. 6, Dec 5, 1899. At that time he gave the paper an opinion that there must be five hundred pioneers of 1858-59-60 in Colorado.
WILSEY & COMPANY, (R. A. Wilsey), mining in Gregory Diggings and on Sep 29, 1859 were in Mountain City, and file record. (Gregory Record, p. 11, 1859)
WILSON, ---, of firm of Harshawk & Wilson, mining Russell’s 1859.
WILSON, ---, had on Dec 3 a Donation Lot from Denver City Town Company with his agreement to build hewed log house.
WILSON, A., grantor, to John H. Gerrish, farm claim, south of Vasquez Fork, or Clear Creek, commences at point 350 yards west of the “Cherokee Trail,” etc. Dated Nov 3, 1859.
WILSON, Robert S., arrived mouth Cherry Creek Oct 25, 1858. (No reference)
WILSON, William, elected constable in Denver or Auraria or both 1859.
WILSON, Williams J., was witness in Fountain City, Feb 7, 1859 (RMN) to deed signature by Levi Ferguson. The matter is recorded in Arapahoe County Land Records, old, and is relating to Denver lots.
WILTZE, Mr. Chauncy, arrived and left for South Park, 1859. (RMN) He is miner, Gregory Diggings, also civil engineer and surveyor, with office on McGaa Street, Denver, and again at location in City of Auraria. He is associated with Capt. Hall as engineer making surveys, etc. at Fort St. Vrain 1859. In Gregory Diggings he is on Oct 1 of the year witness of a deed at Mountain City, again on another page is mentioned as member of a firm in Mountain City, C. J. McDuffie & Company, with claims in Hyatt Lode. (Gregory Record, p. 13, also 15, and 21, old)
WINCHESTER, James, is believed to have been present in Dec 1858 when the first meeting of Masons in the Pike’s Peak Region was held in a cabin in Auraria. (See under McFadding for his associates.) He had Donation Lots in Auraria in spring of 1859 (with agreement to build cabin) and on Nov 9 is grantor to H. R. Hunt of Denver lots. He is said to have died before 1899. (Name spelled with an initial L. in one note in Record Office.)
WINCHESTER, Lucilion J., miner, Denver with home also in Auraria, is mentioned in RMN in Mar of 1859 as being Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of the County, recently elected. He was a stockholder of Denver City Town Company and in the first Constitutional Convention represents as a delegate the El Dorado District. Nov 9 he is President of the Colorado City Town Company, and again in same month appears in Arapahoe County Land Records as grantor of 13 Denver lots to Richard Whitsitt. Also in November he, with nine other freemasons, makes petition to the Grand Lodge of Kansas for a Dispensation for a Lodge in Denver City. A little later he is Worshipful Master of Auraria Lodge U. D. and makes a petition to the Grand Lodge of Kansas. He is still of Arapahoe County on Jun 12, 1860, for he gives Power of Attorney to George Wynkoop of same County, to execute all business for him after that date. The next we hear is in the paper where he is mentioned: “Mr. L. J. Winchester leaves for the States.”
WINGO, C. H., mentioned in RMN as of Gregory Diggings 1859.
WINKLEMAN, John, files his farm claim made Jun 1859, in the following July, location for coal mining, etc., Jefferson Territory, beginning at a stake at west side Rocky Ridge, between Baden and Mt. Vernon. This location also recorded in Denver. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 50)
WINNEBAGO COUNTY, ILLINOIS, 17 horse teams and 80 men arrived from this County May 17, 1859. Mentioned in RMN of date. No names.
WINSER, or WISNER (?), J. H., member first Constitutional Convention from District of Golden City, 1859.
WINTER, Nathan, of Adair County, Missouri, arrived via Platte Route, May 10, 1859. (RMN, List of Arrivals, file)
WISCONSIN COMPANY (the), lumber dealers, located in Business Directory of 1859 on 4th between Front and Cherry, City of Auraria. On Dec 31 it is grantee of lot 12, block 39, in that City. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
WISE, William, born Germany, Jun 3, 1835, arrived Colorado May 1, 1859. “Uncle Billy Wise” a well known and popular pioneer, who in 1866 is mentioned in Business Directory with a station at Larimer and between F. and G. Streets.
WISENALL, John B., of Denver, certified that he is entitled to Denver lots and later, Aug 22, he is grantor of lots Aug 22. (Land Records)
WISNER, J. H. (See Winser above), is grantee of “Gregory’s Ranche” at foot Table Mountain Sep 20, 1859.
WISNER, Jacob, or Auraria, (may be same above?) is grantee at Sheriff’s sale of Auraria lots, Oct 26, same year.
WITCHER, N. L., member first Constitutional Convention or Provisional Convention (?) from Gregory Diggings. He had ranche claim Jul 19, 1859, next that of C. W. Smith, surveyed for him on this date in Clear Creek bottoms, Jefferson County, and recorded in same County in Land Records. There is mention in files of the RMN during summer of the year, that the firm of Witcher, Reeves & Ford (three men) are mining in Russell’s Gulch.
WITHORD, S., sells his two Select and two Draw lots in blocks 39 48-51, Denver, on Sep 20, 1859.
WITHROW, James, surveyor, “will soon leave for the States.” (RMN, files, 1859)
WITTER, Daniel, born Franklin County, Indiana 1827. His parents moved to St. Joseph’s County, Indiana and he married in 1854 Miss Clara Matthews, whose half brother, Schuyler Colfax, afterward became Vice President of the United States. (Colfax Avenue was named for him soon after a visit he had made in Denver.) Witter arrived goldfields leaving family in Indiana, Aug 13, 1859, becoming first a miner in Tarryall District. They then (after the arrival of his wife and two infant daughters in Feb 1862) lived for a time at Hamilton, a town of about 100 cabins, where he was Post Master, having been appointed by Lincoln. It was below Tarryall, about two and a half miles in the Gulch. Their next home was a house on Cherry Creek, or near the stream on what is now 13th Street. From this place they moved to the corner of Larimer and Eighth Streets, (formerly in Auraria, but later called West Denver) where they lived for many years until all the children were married and gone excepting Ellen, who is still living in Denver, but the old place has been sold. It was almost a block in extent and embraced a fine garden, a large conservatory, and beautiful house, which cost, it is said, ten thousand dollars when erected about 1872. It was built of square wood panels, or blocks, resembling stone, painted stone color, had about ten rooms, was supplied with “speaking tubes” in all the rooms, then a new thing as far as Denver was concerned, and was lighted by some sort of gas, not now in use. The large parlors were finished in black walnut, a mass of fine moulding, the ceilings were ornamented with relief work, very handsome, and altogether it was a place which should have been moved away and preserved when it became old, instead of being torn down like an ordinary old residence. Its predecessor, the one the Witters tore down to give place to it, must have been a very early erection, was a story and a half high, of frame always white with green shutters, and that pretty cut out decorative wood lattice work which was used so much by the pioneers as it was fashionable in the fifties, though there was considerable difference in the art and taste with which it was used. Daniel Witter was appointed U. S. Assessor by Grant, which place he held four years. He had been admitted to the Bar in 1862, and a practice in land law and matters connected with the Government lands grew up about him, and this was shared by his daughter Ellen, who is still carrying it on, she having been admitted to the Bar as a lawyer some years ago. He was a member of the first legislative assembly which met Nov 7, 1861 under the real Territorial Government. He was then a resident of Park County (Ninth District), being a resident there at the session of the 2nd Legislature in 1862. These early meetings for legislative work were called “Assemblies.”
WOLDER, G., witness in Auraria Jul 28, 1859. (See Wilder, same?)
WOLPERT, D., mentioned in Hall’s List as pioneer of Aug 1859, with residence at Platte. Born Ohio, Nov 23, 1833. David Wolfert or Wolpert had a land claim on the Platte three miles below mouth of Clear Creek recorded in Auraria Nov 4, 1859. He came from Hancock County, Illinois, and has residence in Denver. Married Miss Catherine Henderson.
WOLFF, Hiram G., arrived Aug 20, 1859, residence Denver, born Virginia May 6, 1816.
WOOD, Alexander, on Jul 12, 1859 is grantor, associated with P. T. Bassett, of title to lot 12, block 35, Auraria, “being the same house in which Bassett and Wood lived in Auraria,” and this he sells as administrator of estate of Bassett, to William Blackstock. Many lots belonging to him and to Bassett are described in detail Sep 24, 1859, in Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 205, old.
WOOD, C. H., grantee, Nov 28, 1859, lots in a place not given, probably Denver or Auraria. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
WOOD, Carroll, leading a band who attacked Byers, was in 1860 run out of town, but it is stated several places that he was occupying Denver much earlier than that date.
WOOD, Frank J., had first drug store in Georgetown in 1859, but lived later in the Arkansas Valley. (He was of Chicago.)
WOOD, G. L., was of Russell’s Gulch 1859. (Files of RMN)
WOOD, George A., from Pioneers’ List (member). He was of Kiowa as late as 1920. He arrived Colorado Jun 25, 1859.
WOOD, J. B., associated with E. B. Wood and R. M. Wood, files claim for mining prospect in Board Tree Gulch, Gregory Diggings, Oct 4, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 50, old, ’59)
WOOD, James M., member first Provisional Legislature (Council). He was a miner during this year at Russell’s. (Hall’s Colorado History,Vol. 1, p. 210) Said to be of Georgia. (?) He was Territorial Councilman elect from the 5th District. Gives the Masonic Lodge in Auraria, of which he was a member, $20 “for the good of Masonry” on Nov 25. He is referred to by the paper as Hon. J. M. Wood, Superintendent of the Consolidated Ditch Company. (See p. 2, RMN, Sep 3, same year, 1859.) The ditch was located by B. F. Chase on Middle Fork of Clear Creek (then called Vasquez). The Golden paper, Western Mountaineer, has fine article from him on this subject in issue of Dec 4, p. 4. This ditch had lines to bring water to Gregory Diggings.
WOOD, James D., miner, Clear Creek & Boulder Diggings, 1859. Is discoverer of the Butter mine, Gilpin County according to note in Bancroft, p. 379.
WOOD, Rev. M., a Baptist minister mentioned in RMN files ’59.
WOOD, O. M., elected Vice President of the first Constitutional Convention at second session of the meeting 1859. (See J. M. Wood?)
WOOD, Robert, mining, Clear Creek and Boulder Valley, 1859.
WOOD, W. H., barber, Auraria, located Ferry Street. (Business Directory ’59)
WOOD, W. J., witness Aug 9, 1859 in land deal. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
WOOD, William H., signs quit claim deed on Jul 13, 1859 conveying lots to Anthony Botts. (Lot 9, block 35, Auraria) (Land Records)
WOODBURY, ---, mentioned in The Trail, p. 15, Dec 1925, as having brought to the gold diggings in 1859 some dried vegetables.
WOODCOCK & HODGSON, took up claim on Bear Creek Jun 24, 1859.
WOODMANCY, J., was Territorial Representative elect to the Provisional Assembly from 6th District in 1859. J. A. Woodmancy, miner, was Secretary of the miners’ meeting at Russell’s Gulch, Oct 21, 1859, to protest against merchants of Denver and Auraria reducing the price of gold dust, and to boycott certain of these merchants. (RMN files, p. 1, Nov 10, 1859)
WOODWARD, ---, mentioned in one of the histories (?) as being at Montana City in 1858.
WOODWARD, Dr. G. N. (also spelled G. W.?), of Denver City, Aug 23, 1859 is described as owner of lots 19-20, block 45 and lot 4.5, block 47, in that place, as well as many others not enumerated here. Oct 1 he certifies to his ownership of lots in blocks 235 and 290 and transfers them to G. W. Bark. On Oct 15 Woodward leases to Barck, lot 20, block 45, on Larimer Street, for twelve months, with right to remove the building if he wishes so to do. The consideration was $50.
WOODWARD, J. N, was a miner referred to in RMN as living at Hill Difficulty 1859.
WOODWARD, R. J., was witness during this year on Nov 9 to Denver deed.
WOODWARD, & WAGGONER, firm Denver 1859.
WOODWORTH, J. H., of Golden announces in the papers that he is prepared to convey freight to any part of the mountains with safety, Dec 7, 1859.
WOOLEY, David, of Boulder Creek, pioneer of 1858, was in party which discovered the famous Gold Hill, afterward so fine a mining district, in the mountains above Boulder. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 181)
WOOLWORTH, (this name may be very likely to be the correct one instead of Woodward in possibly one of the instances mentioned above, as printing mistakes were so common at that time?)
WOOTEN, J. E., & D. D. Cook were partners in an action and commission business in Auraria on Ferry Street, next store of R. L. Wooten in 1859, and it is referred to in RMN of May 7 in advertizement.
WOOTEN, Joseph L., grantor of lots on Cherry Street, Auraria, sells by Richard L. Wooten (R. L.). (Arapahoe County Land Records, old)
WOOTEN, Richard L., Jr., in Hall’s List of Pioneers in 1890 is noted as having arrived at mouth Cherry Creek same date as Richard Wooten, Sr., Dec 24, 1858. Born Mar 21, 1851. Lived 1890 and again 1920 (in another record) at Trinidad, Colorado, and was a member of the of Colorado Pioneer’s Society.
WOOTEN, Richard S., Sr., lived inTrinidad, Colorado (name variously given as R. S. and R. L.), according to list in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 565, was born in Virginia, May 6, 1816, and (arrived at mouth of Cherry Creek 1858) came to Pike’s Peak Region Jun 1, 1836. Hall says he was “one of the most magnificent figures that ever trailed an Indian, or trapped a beaver.” Was born at Boydton, Mecklenburg County, in his native State.
His parents later removed to Kentucky and later, after wandering about, Richard L. settled on the western border of Missouri. In 1836 he joined a train belonging to Bent & St. Vrain for Bent’s Fort on the Arkansas River. He then became an explorer, hunter and also trapper, making some money with his pelts. Then he became an Indian trader, traversing the entire region. Later he bought sheep and tried breeding buffaloes with his American cows, and was unable to continue this experiment because of an opportunity to sell the rangers of the plains to the Central Park of New York. But he later dealt in livestock, and lived near Pueblo 1842.
“Uncle Dick Wooten,” as he was affectionately called in his later days, was of the opinion that Denver and Auraria had about 500 inhabitants in 1858 when he started his store. Of course, it was a population that moved considerably, somewhat like an ocean. It included all classes from the finest to the most desperate and tough of humanity. Uncle Dick had a good word for all of them. He was appointed Colonel of the Governor’s staff in 1859 by Gov. Steele. He was Clerk of Supervisors in same year, and member of the first Constitutional Convention, also elected County Commissioner, March, early in year. He had in addition to his store a saloon on Ferry Street, Auraria, according to Directory of the memorable year. This was no disgrace in those hard days, as persons were so often exhausted and ill from causes that seemed to need more than the poor food the miners were able to have.
The ground where his store stood is now represented by numbers 1413-1415 Eleventh Street, east side, between Market and Wazee. The building had three and a quarter stories, was of hewn logs, and 20 x 32 feet in size. It had glazed windows. Altogether it gave its owner that social prestige always obtainable in a small town by a fine building. (The RMN used its top floor.)
Wooten married in 1848, and settled at first in Taos, New Mexico. She came with him to Cherry Creek later, in 1858. She was a native of Mexico. She died in Auraria, Mar 25, 1860, and her remains were followed to the grave the next day by many sympathizing friends. The paper says: “Mrs. W. was, we believe, the second white woman who took up residence in this City accompanying her husband on his first arrival from Mexico, Dec 24, 1858.” Hall says that Wooten married four times, and had eight children living in 1875, while Wooten in 1890 was alive and preparing his memoirs for press. These were very instructive (edited by Henry L. Conard. See.) Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, pp. 233-241, has fine life of Wooten, see also
Smiley, Byers, Stone and all other histories of the State and the files of papers.
WORTIN, B. G., witness to signature of Enos & Mary J. McLauthlin, Sep 15, 1859, in Denver. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old)
WRIGHT, Alpheus, born St. Lawrence County, New York, Aug 15, 1832, of New England parentage. 1853, after educating himself at academy at Canton, went to Australia, mining, in that gold excitement. Then returned to United States, located in Wisconsin, where he studied law, and began practice, until 1859 when he came to the Pike’s Peak goldfields, mined in Gilpin County, returned to Wisconsin once or twice, in 1865 was in Colorado Territorial Legislature, and was County Attorney of Boulder County 1866. His wife was Miss Sarah J. Hutchinson, married Nov 1857. (See Bascom, History of Boulder County, 1880)
WRIGHT, Andrew C., was occupant of the 8th wagon of the Lawrence Party when they entered the region now called Colorado, Jun 10, 1858. His name is cut in the sandstone of the Gateway to the Garden of the Gods, it is said, but is now almost worn away. It was in July they passed that spot, and several members climbed the Peak. In Hall’s list his natal place is given as New York (State) Jul 4, 1837. He was one of the original 1858 stockholders of Auraria in his year of arrival. He is mentioned in Larimer’s Reminiscences. Is said to have built the first house in the American side of Pueblo, but in 1895 was a resident of Denver. Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 3, p. 450, says that the house he built in Pueblo was on corner of Santa Fe and First Streets. In 1859 he had a number of lots recorded and described, in March having 80 lots in Auraria, and 136 in Highland City, besides a ranche which he took up (now Argo District) and tried to trade them all for a horse, but the Mexican who proposed to buy them changed his mind.
WRIGHT, A. P. & COMPANY, mining, Gregory Diggings, said to be from Elkhart, Indiana.
WRIGHT, J., otherwise called Jack Wright, said by Larimer to have lived in Pueblo about 1859. Member of the Pueblo Town Company. He was one of the first to build cabin in Auraria, too. This name is mentioned by Hall, Bancroft, and several others.
WYALL, (this name occurs but may be Wyatt (?)) COOPER & WYALL saw mill, Cherry Creek pineries 1859. (See following)
WYALL, Nathaniel G. (sometimes spelled N. S. Wyall), arrived Apr 1, 1859. He was member of the first Constitutional Convention, a delegate from Russellville, and later in year a member of the first Provisional Legislature, or Council, being at this time a partner of Whitsitt. He was an attorney, listed in the Directory of that year, and some historian has said, referring to the growth of the young City of Denver, “Judge Wyatt never believed in it, thought it would be abandoned.” In Apr 1859 there is record of N. S. Wyatt arriving with a saw mill from the Missouri River, being partner of H. P. Bennett in this enterprize. This was set up on Running Creek, about 30 miles south of Cherry Creek mouth. (See Wyall, above ?)
WYATT, D. C., of Denver 1890, arrived May 5, 1859. Born Oct 14, 1837.
WYMANN, John W., a resident of Kansas, defendant in suit in County of Arapahoe, said to be in the Rocky Mountains (item in RMN, p. 2, Nov 17) Larimer mentions a “Young Mr. Wyman” of St. Louis, who on Jan 8 of this year is returning East with Mr. Lawrence in a three mule wagon. There is mentioned William Y. Wymer (?) or William L. Wymer (?) in one old land record giving grant from Denver Town Company to him, of lots Aug 23, 1859.
WYNKOOP, Edward W., came with the Lecompton Party 1858, and a street in Denver still bears his name. He was a member of the Denver City Town Company, and lived here, but was also a resident of Arapahoe Village in this year, and later. In the diary of Jackson, published by Hall, he is said to be one of the proprietors of that place. In 1859 he was a friend of Bliss, and in the noted duel between that pioneer and Dr. J. S. Stone, on Mar 5, Wynkoop was his Second. (See under these names, also see files RMN of date.)
The following record from Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber D, p. 275, old, gives a little information: Edward W. Wynkoop, partner of Robert M. Nace of Lecompton, Kansas Territory, grantors, Sep 5, 1859, to Jerome Kunkle of Rising Sun, Jefferson County, Kansas, consideration $400” (here follows description of lands or lots), “all their goods and chattels, mortgaged,” the grantors acknowledging paper in Dauphin County, Kansas. This was recorded in Denver Feb 15, 1860: Mr. Wynkoop did not withdraw from the community at this time, for there is a mention in the Colorado Republican and Rocky Mountain Herald, Aug 24, 1861 as follows: Married, in this City, Wednesday, Aug 21, 1861, at Mr. Wakeley’s on Larimer Street, by Rev. Mr. Kehler, Lieut. Edward W. Wynkoop and Miss Louisa M. Brown, both of Denver. Later it is stated in the paper of Apr 15, 1882 (or near that date) that “Ned Wynkoop, a pioneer of 1858, is visiting friends in Denver, and is much surprized at the City’s growth.” This was quoted in the reminiscent column of the Rocky Mountain Herald, Apr 17, 1926.
The Denver Post, Jun 10, 1926 has notice concerning a death in California of Edward Wynkoop, Jr., son of the pioneer, who had at that time been crushed under an automobile, which a train had hurled off the railroad track. He was born in Denver, son of Major Edward Wynkoop, of the first Colorado Regiment (Civil War). The accident occurred in Stockton, he being an employe of the Southern Pacific Railway, and was later buried in Oakland. He was a conductor on this railway.
The note goes on to state that the elder Wynkoop, after his service in the Civil War, attained a considerable degree of fame as an Indian fighter, and when retired, by President Grant he was made an Indian agent in New Mexico. Here he served many years, afterward becoming warden of the New Mexico penitentiary.
WYNKOOP, George, is witness to deed in Arapahoe County Land Records, Nov 1859. He was appointed to a military position of some kind, it is said, by Gov. Steele in this year. He is still living in Denver 1860, for is again a witness on Jan 12 in Auraria.
WYROUCH, Jacob, of Denver City, is grantee of lots 5-6, block 65, in that place, the lots having come to grantor, H. P. A. Smith by a “Drawing” in said town according to the plan of the town. This paper is dated Oct 30, 1859.
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: June 25, 2013