TABLE MOUNTAIN CANON, was near Golden City.
TABOR, Horace Austin Warner, (usually known as H. A. W. Tabor.) Born Orleans County, Vermont, Nov 26, 1830. (Chapman’s Portrait and Biographical Record, 1899) Learned stonecutter’s trade, and at age of 25 settled on land in Kansas. (1855) Was in Legislature at Topeka 1857, crossed plains to Denver in 1859 and continued to live there in 1860, but in that autumn went to California Gulch where he made $5,000 first season. Then removed in 1865 to Buckskin Joe District (now a desert) opening a store and boarding camp for miners, was Postmaster, but in 1868 returned to California Gulch, later keeping a store at Oro City. In 1879 he “grub-staked” two shoemakers, August Rische and George T. Hook, both destitute and “broke” prospectors. This was Fairplay, Park County. The prospectors opened a great mine on Fryer Hill, known as the “Little Pittsburg Mine,” which soon yielded $8,000 a week, and later became a marvelous producer. Rische and Hook sold their interest in this to Chaffee & Moffatt for $262,500. This, with several other mines merged into company capitalized at $20,000,000. Afterward, Tabor sold to his partners, buying other interests with the $1,000,000, which was his share of the Little Pittsburg. Then he bought the “Matchless,” which yielded him $2,000 per day and much more in a short time, $100,000 a month said to have been its yield. He bought and removed the old historic “Broadwell House,” that aristocratic place where no doubt he had often wished to be able to board in his early, poor days. This was in Feb 1879, and it was becoming at that time decidedly passé. In this spot he built the first really good block which Denver had, called “The Tabor Block” of Ohio gray sandstone, and Mar 8, 1880 he started the Tabor Grand Opera House which was completed Sep 1881, and opened with éclat by the Emma Abbott Opera Company. There is in the RMN, Sep 6, 1881, a full page description of the building and also of earlier theatres. The new theatre was the finest in the West, it was said, and the opening was an event for the reporters who could exercise their pens describing the gowns of the belles of the time. Seated in Box F was Eugene Field, then associate editor of the Tribune, the rival paper, surrounded by a group of Jewish people, Jennie Hopkins, the society editor of the Tribune, who was a niece of Simon Block of West Denver, and sister of Mrs. Elsner, also her brother Mr. B. F. Zalinger, the Londoners, Mr. Charles Rothchilds, and Mrs. Davidson. In fact, the Jews, after Miss Hopkins came into the field, were made very prominent in Denver, as far as the society column would be able, she being a Jewess, of Russian descent.
Tabor later built a very good Opera House in Leadville, and he was Lieut. Gov. in that time, also filled an unexpired term of one month in Washington as U. S. Senator, and was candidate to succeed himself but Bowen obtained the office. He built a very good residence, after occupying for a time with his 2nd wife a beautiful home on Sherman Avenue. His wealth was lost before 1899, but some of his friends secured him an appointment as Postmaster in Denver. He had been a very generous man always, assisting everyone, and some of his investments were not profitable. He died many years since, and left a second wife and two daughters, one named Elizabeth, the younger one he always called his “Big Silver Dollar.”
These, with their mother, have been in the mountains for years, keeping watch over some promising mining properties, but which are not yet very valuable in 1925, but it is hoped they may be so. They all lived in West Denver about a year or so after Tabor’s death, in a little terrace on 10th Street, a few doors from the old Emmanuel Episcopal Church, which stood at Lawrence and that Street. It was next door to “The old H. G. Elder place,” now quite rebuilt, on east side of Eleventh Street. Tabor is said to have lived for some months in Kentucky in 1856. His parents were Cornelius D. and Sarah (Terrin) Tabor. He was born at or near a town called Holland, in Vermont. A portrait of Tabor is in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 431. Mrs. Augusta Tabor, his first wife, he divorced after his fortune advanced. Her portrait is in RMN, p. 7, Dec 5, 1899. (See also RMN, p. 7, Jul 4, 1890) (There is a picture of one of his Denver homes in H. Bromwell’s collection of newspaper files and clippings, Vol. 2, p. 81) He is very much mentioned in the papers of his time, between dates 1878-1895.
TALBOT, John H., pioneer arrived Nov 17, 1859. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Association residence Ward, Colorado (near Nederlands) in 1920.
TALBOT, P., born Kentucky, Dec 9, 1829. Arrived Colorado Jun 16, 1859. Resided Denver when Hall’s List of Pioneers was made up about 1890. P. Talbot is mentioned in papers of 1859 as a “delegate,” and he appears in the Mss. Directory of this year, as associated as partner of M. Teed, in carpenter shop on McGaa Street. In 1862 he advertizes in the Tri-Weekly Mining Register, Central, as an architect and builder, living then in Central. He was assessor once, probably in Denver.
TALBOT, Presley, (may be same as above?) His wife in 1860 was Mrs. Annie Talbot. He seems to have spelled his name with double “T” (Talbott) and must be another person, because there is a record of a Sheriff’s deed having been delivered to him as early as Feb 1859. (Denver lots) On Oct 13, same year, he is grantor to Thomas P. Evans, lot 10, block 241, City of Auraria. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
TALBOTT, ---, four brothers, arrived from Platte City, Missouri with 18 others by Express Route, May 28, 1859. (RMN files)
TALFER, G., arrived Apr 14, 1859 with Capt. William Valentine’s party of 6 wagons, from LaSalle, Illinois, 23 days from St. Joseph, Missouri. (Cherry Creek Pioneer, Apr 23, 1859)
TALLMAN, John, arrived Denver from Elkart, Indiana, May 14, 1859, out from St. Louis, 39 days on trip. (RMN) J. M. Tallman (probably same?) member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, resident of Frankstown, Colorado in 1920, said to have arrived May 13. Born New York Apr 25, 1838. The Trail, pp. 22-24, Dec 1925, has obituary. He died Dec 9, 1925 at Colorado Springs, age 88 years. His wife Elizabeth, married in 1865, died. He lived in Russellville at one time near Parker. At time of his death he was the oldest member of Masonic Lodge No. 5, Denver. He was a miner, also farmer. Daughter Mrs. Mammie Krakow, 1456 Roslyn Street, Colorado Springs, is surviving in 1925.
TAPPAN, Lewis N., stockholder of the Golden City Association, and Secretary Colorado Town Company, Colorado City 1859. In December he, with H. M. Fosdick, published first map of Auraria, Denver and Highland Cities. He owned real estate in several of the Cities, and is mentioned in the papers from time to time. At one time it is stated that: “L. N. Tappan of the Philadelphia Courier leaves for the East.” He returned from that trip, evidently, for, on Jun 22, 1866, he appears as Secretary of the first organization of Colorado Pioneers of 1858-9 at a meeting in Denver. The RMN again refers to him in same year (1866), on Nov 28, in an editorial, where it states that he has married “In the East” recently, to a daughter of Silas Sanford of New York, residing at Albany. The name of John S. Tappan occurs in the Colorado Republican, files, Sep 25, 1861. If not a fiftynine arrival, this may be a relative of L. N. Tappan, above. (?) Died, at Mountain City, of disease of the heart, aged 28 years. He was a native of New Jersey, but recently from Peoria, Illinois. John S. Tappan, his name, his relatives not yet known, as he died suddenly. The citizens gave him a Christian burial. Much credit due Mr. H. Ferris for his kindness and generosity in the matter. Tappan was very much liked and respected, and was well up to a few hours of his death.
TARPIN, Daniel M. & Elizabeth Tarpin, deed lot 11, block 32 in Auraria City on Nov 17, 1859.
TARRYALL, these diggings were about six miles south of Jefferson City, which had sprung up near Georgia Pass. They were about two miles above Hamilton, and were discovered Jul 1859, and was very rich in placers, the discoverers staked off all the land in the gulch, establishing mining district, monopolizing everything. Hall says, “Thousands rushed over the mountains to join in the harvest, causing Hamilton, the base of supplies, to bloom into a miniature city.” But the first comers held all fast and soon enriched themselves enormously. The disappointed ones, however, revenged themselves by going over the mountains and establishing Fairplay, whose diggings being in a larger and wider gulch gave claims to many, and the town became a good one, which existed until the present time. Tarryall was enough of a place to have a lyceum started in Dec of 1859, mentioned in the papers of the time.
TASCHER, Charles, member Gilpin County Pioneer Association (marked in list, died), an arrival of Dec 22, 1858. He was a member of the Mountain City Town Company in year of organization, and member of Mammoth Quartz Lead Company, owned a Discovery Claim in Gregory Diggings, mentioned on Gregory Record, p. 9, Sep 1859, and on Sep 28, same year, was grantee of lot 11, block 31, Auraria. He belonged to the brewery firm of Solomon Tasher in Auraria, same year, and probably resided in mountains. A clipping from Central paper shows his death Jun 5, 1890.
TASCHER, Jacob, arrived Aug 10, 1859, and was living in Gilpin County, and member Colorado Pioneer’s Society there in Sep 1914. (Clipping)
TASCHER, SALOMON & COMPANY, brewery, Auraria Directory, 1859. (Larimer Street, corner 10th, then called San Louis.)
TATE, Robert, is grantee of lot 12, block 32, Auraria, “next Richard Terpin’s lot,” on 5th Street (now W. Larimer) 25 x 66 feet. Jan 3, 1860. (May have arrived either ’58 or ’59) (Liber D, p. 170, old)
TATE, Wesley W., “of Denver” is grantee Oct 5, 1859, lots from John M. M. Larimer, and on Nov 29 is again a grantee.
TATE, William, is bearer of letter from William Larimer, Jr., Jan 1859 to the relatives in Kansas Territory.
TAYLOR, A., of St. Louis, arrived by Alfred Tucker’s train, May 28, 1859 by Arkansas Route. The wagons brought 17 men from Clinton County, Missouri. (See)
TAYLOR, Alexander, member Society Colorado Pioneers Gilpin County, arrived May 20, 1859. (RMN) Noted in list of members as deceased. This may be same one mentioned above, as difference in date is so slight. (?)
TAYLOR, C. P., of Arapahoe County, Kansas Territory, sells lots in Denver, Oct 12 in same year. (Grantor in Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, old)
TAYLOR, D. D., of Massachusetts, his wagon train arrived May 17, 1859 with 14 men in the company, from St. Joseph, Missouri, 30 days enroute. Names given in RMN: H. Emerson of Louisiana, M. B. Earl, H. Earl, N. Earl, William Scoville, R. Bennett, M. Goodall, all from Iowa. In the Mss. Directory 1859 the name of D. D. Taylor appears as a cabinet maker and carpenter, located on Ferry Street, and on Sep 10 D. D. Taylor is signed as a witness in land transfer, in Auraria, so it seems he was disinclined to leave the place at first, but his name is not in the Directory of 1866 of the towns.
TAYLOR, J. H., (marriage of this may belong to record below (John H.) (?) of Weld County, married Miss Matilda Migrata of Boulder County, at residence of Peter Grosclose on South Boulder Creek by A. J. Mackay, Aug 16, 1863. (?)
TAYLOR, James, certificate of his Denver lots filed Aug 23, 1859. (Land Records)
TAYLOR, James M., probably arrived 1859, for he is grantee of Denver lots Jan 14, 1860.
TAYLOR, John H., of Idaho Springs 1881, said to have arrived May 19, 1858 or 1859.
TAYLOR, Mark, was of Golden City in 1859, and partner in restaurant with Ed Chinn and Edgar Vanover.
TAYLOR, W. G., elected constable, Mar 1859, in Auraria precinct. (Election mentioned in RMN during March, same year.)
TAYLOR, William, miner, arrives in Denver from South Park trip. (RMN)
TEED, Matthew, an arrival of 1858, and original stockholder of City of Auraria. He had that useful thing, a carpenter shop, on McGaa Street, with P. Talbot, his partner (Directory of 1859) and on Jun 28 of same year quitclaims to Thomas Pollock, lot 2, block 32, in that City. Oct 29 he is signed as a witness in Auraria, and on Nov 9 is grantee of 15 lots from the Town Company (for description, see Arapahoe County Land Records, liber D, p. 31, old). Later in 1861 his name appears as member of Auraria Masonic Lodge.
TEMPLE, John A., a pioneer of Jun 1, 1859, residing in 1920 at Dolores, Colorado. He is member Colorado Pioneers’ Society.
TEMPLEMAN, H. H., is grantee, Oct 3, 1859, with Eli. Fletcher, land known as the Wamsley Ranche. (See following.)
TEMPLETON, Richard, this name is also noted as having been a grantee with Eli Fletcher, of the Walmsley Ranche, between Golden and Denver City. The spelling is evidently incorrect in these two records, the last taken from Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 4.
TERPIN, (see Tarpin), had lot in Auraria, or property, which is described in deed as next to lot 12, block 32, on 5th Street (now Larimer). Name of Terpin, Richard (or James B.?) (Liber D, p. 170) The lot next was sold to Robert Tate. (Transaction ’59)
TERRY, Mr., referred to in the Press as an actor. (1859) Probably of the troop at Apollo Hall.
TESSEMAN & COMPANY, a firm in Auraria City mentioned in papers as being place where W. H. Good conducted services in Aug 1859. He was a visiting pastor.
TETLOW, A., (Albert) member of Tetlow & Company, firm, Golden Gate City Jul 1859. This company on Jul 19 files claim to 80 acres of land for an addition to Golden Gate, which was a town laid out by Golden, Preston, Gard & Company. On date Jul 23 Albert Titlowe, files farm claim 640 acres lying in Boulder Creek, about two miles from foot of the mountains, “staked on 4 corners.” Claim located Jun 10 before.
THACKER, J. R., an express package is advertized for him in RMN. (Files, 1859) Thacker & Company, four men, are mining in Pleasant Valley, this summer.
THANKSGIVING DAY, in Auraria and Denver was set for Dec 29, and religious services are mentioned in the paper, held at residence of the Rev. Jacob Adriance, on Cherry Street, Auraria.
THOM, Mr. Charles, was in 1859 a theatrical showman in the Cherry Creek District (mentioned in Libeus Barney Letters.)
THOMAS, A., a delegate from Taos Precinct to the convention for forming the Provisional Government summer of 1859. (RMN)
THOMAS, G. A., name among list of delegates to the Provisional Convention from Spanish Bar.
THOMAS, J., is grantee of Auraria lots, Nov 19, 1859.
THOMAS, Jacob, grantor, Elias Brown, grantee, Aug 10, 1859, consideration $200, six claims, about 350 yards east of the lake, east from the road leading from the Lake Lode to Russell’s Gulch. (Gregory Record, p. 1)
THOMAS, Morris, arrived May 20, 1859, and is in list of pioneers of Gilpin County, with date of emigration. M. Thomas in this year has grant of some Auraria lots, so it is likely he may be same person. (?)
THOMAS, Oliver W., witness to deed, at Mountain City, Oct 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 20)
THOMPSON, Mr. ---, was one of the proprietors of the Jefferson House. A Mr. Thompson had Donation Lots from Auraria Town Company 1859.
THOMPSON, Henry, arrived Jun 29. Resided later, Leadville, in 1920. In list of Colorado Pioneers’ Society as member. Jan 10, 1860 Henry Thompson (probably same) is mentioned in a description of claim of William Waddler, the place being near town of Brandford City. (Bradford)
THOMPSON, James, of Wilmington, Illinois, arrived at goldfields May 12, 1859, with small party. (RMN, list)
THOMPSON, Levi, is stockholder of Denver Town Company, 1858.
THOMPSON, R. D., from Lima, Indiana, is partner in 1859 of C. B. Clark & Company, Gregory Diggings, in Quartz, shingle, and lumber mill. He lived at Mountain City.
THOMPSON, S. B., delegate from Mountain City to first Constitutional Convention, summer of 1859. Later, in December he is elected Surgeon of the Rocky Mountain Rangers, a military organization. (Vigilance Society)
THORNE, Charles R., (also called Col. Thorne), an Australia and California actor, first mentioned by RMN as soon to appear in Apollo Hall. (Spring of 1859) He had a travelling company on the plains, giving entertainments at Military Posts at Leavenworth, Laramie, and then came to Denver. He first played in summer of the year at Apollo Hall in “The Maid of Croissey,” taking the part of Sergeant Austerlitz. Some authorities state that he built Apollo Hall, but it seems to be in Denver before his arrival. However, he may have very much improved it, and no doubt opened it to the Art. (See under Apollo Hall.)
THORNE, T. W., is grantee of Denver lots this year (December). These are probably same that Thomas W. Thorne sells Dec 16 to J. C. Sills and E. J. Sanderlin.
THORNE, Mr. Thomas, also an actor at Col. Thorne’s theatre. He took the part of Richard III during the year and it was noted in the paper that “Front seats were reserved for ladies.”
THORNE, William, is an actor in same year at Col. C. R. Thorne’s troop playing at Apollo Hall.
THORNTON, G. E., born Connecticut, arrived Denver Jul 2, 1859. On following Aug 23, George E. Thornton has transaction with Denver lots.
THRALL & COMPANY, mining, summer of year, in Illinois Gulch, and Missouri Flats.
THURMAN, William, arrived Jun 7, and was in list of Society Colorado Pioneers.
TIERNEY, Luke D., original stockholder of Auraria 1858. He passed the Russell party in Kansas. They were just coming out. He was a newspaper letter writer, and author of a book on the Pike’s Peak country, published at Pacific City, Iowa in Feb 1859. (Mentioned in RMN, Feb 1, 1860.) While in Denver he lived on Ferry Street, opposite the Capitol Saloon. He was grantee from the Auraria Town Company, Nov 12 of 17 Auraria lots (Liber D, p. 15, old) and appears on Dec 30 as a witness in Auraria deed.
TITTLE, Mary Jane, is married at the Jefferson House in Auraria, Dec 13, 1859, to Michael Pott, by the Rev. Jacob Adriance, a Methodist Minister. Both the contracting parties are of Golden City.
TODD, J., (Esquire) arrived in Denver on Surveying trip on boundaries of Kansas and Nebraska. (RMN, files, 1859)
TODD, Luther M. (Luther M. or Luther L.), grantee from William Larimer, Jr., Denver lots Aug 23, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
TODD, William, with A. R. Mills, make deed Jan 30, 1860. (Denver) (This may not be an arrival of 1859, but very likely is so.)
TOLBERT, N., shareholder in Golden City Association 1859, from records of the Association.
TOMHEART, H. H., an incorporator of the Arapahoe Ditch Company, Dec 1859.
TONCRAY, C. H., born 1852, Lansing, Michigan, arrived Colorado age 7 years, in wagon with parents who went to Georgia Gulch and later to Cripple Creek mining district, afterward going to Nebraska. He returned to Colorado 1900, and died in Denver 1922, leaving two sons, Wady and Howard. (Obituary clipping, paper not noted.)
TONG, J. B., mining in Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats, summer of same year. (RMN)
TONMAY, P., an arrival from St. Louis, mentioned in RMN summer 1859.
TOTTEN, Oscar B., arrived goldfields Nov 14, 1858. From Pioneers’ List is statement that he was born New Jersey Apr 9, 1830. On Apr 23, 1859 the RMN mentions his arrival from the mines 55 miles north (the Jefferson mines) and is accompanied by J. D. Henderson. Has been near Long’s Peak, and via Boulder City. Totten was an original member of both Auraria and Denver Town Companies, was clerk of election in Denver in same year, also clerk of the Supreme Court under the Provisional Government, and appointed by Gov. Steele Lieut. Colonel and was delegate from Denver to one of the large conventions, and probably lived in that City part of his time. The RMN says in one of its April issues, during this year, that “O. B. Totten, an experienced mountain man, is to help pilot an exploring party to spy out new road to the States going through the pineries on the Divide.” Totten was a resident of Helena, Montana as late as 1894.
TOTTEN & HENDERSON, (O. B. Totten & J. B. Henderson) firm 1859, Denver.
TOTTEN & ROGERS, lumber dealers, Larimer Street, Denver. Advertized in RMN of 1859 to sell also logs. When their new building was almost finished it was unroofed by a hurricane and 24 x 70 feet of it fell. This stood on Blake Street.
TOTTEN, SANSOM, AND MURPHY, a firm of 1859, mentioned in files.
TOUMAY, P., an arrival Apr 21 (see above, P. Tonmay?), arrived May 29, left Leavenworth Apr 21, by Smoky Hill Route, 14 in party.
TOUR (Tower?), & COMPANY, three men mining, Nevada Gulch. (Files, 1859)
TOURTELOTT, C. L., a resident of Boulder in 1866 is one of the 16 Vice Presidents of the Colorado Pioneers’ Association, which included only those who came in 1858-9. The meeting was held in Denver, Jun 22 and reported in the RMN.
TOWERS, Charles, is described in the Mss. Business Directory, Denver, 1859 as “bricklayer” living on McGaa and F. Streets, Denver. The name of C. S. Tower occurs in Denver Land Records, Jan 26, 1860, and may be same. (?)
TOWN, Ira Allen, or Allen Ira Town, had Donation Lots from Auraria Town Company in spring of 1859.
TOWNSEND, A. H., mentioned as an attorney in Denver Dec. 1859.
TOWNSEND, James, of Denver, is grantor of lots in 1859 records.
TOWNSEND, Judge, Apr 23, 1859 (RMN) mentions that he was a resident of Jefferson Mining District, a trading Post near Long’s Peak and was originally from Sioux City, Iowa. (See Townsley following)
TOWNSEND, Perry, (see other Townsend records above, same?) & COMPANY, files description of claim for purpose of erecting Quartz mill on Illinois Hill in Gregory Diggings, claim to commence at southeast corner of the Discovery Lode, down to the Illinois Lode. (Gregory Records, p. 13, Oct 1, 1859)
TOWNSLEY, Judge, of Iowa City, Iowa, mentioned as an arrival of 1858, and now at the Boulder mines. (Townsend?) Judge Townsley, from Stark City, Iowa, is also mentioned as a miner, and again we have him described as of Sioux City, and as a “settler of Jefferson Diggings.” Could this be identical with M. Townsley, who is mentioned in RMN as delegate from Spanish Bar to the Provisional Constitutional Convention? Again we see M. M. Townsley (same?), grantee of Denver lots, 1859.
TOZIER, H., original stockholder of City of Auraria 1858. (List)
TOZIER, William, is grantee in mine claim, held of Loveland, etc. In Gregory District mentioned or recorded in Gregory Record, 1859.
TRACY, G. J., witness to deed, Mountain City, mining claim in Gregory District Sep 30, 1859. (Gregory Records, p. 21)
TRAIL & COMPANY, mining Russell’s Gulch, summer 1859, four men.
TRAVILLA, Allie R., of Auraria, is grantee, Oct 22, 1859, ranche claim conveyed to her and her heirs, etc. and lot 12, block 3 on 4th and Cherry, Auraria, for consideration $400. (Arapahoe County Land Records) In another grant, Dec 9, same year, she is described as “of Leavenworth, Kansas,” and has Auraria donaton share, etc.
TRAVILLA & WILHITE, lumber dealers, in Auraria 1859, mentioned in Directory as situated on 4th Street below Front and Cherry, Auraria City. A certificate description of their Denver lots is filed Nov 19.
TRENT, James T., is witness, signed to deed between Hampton L. Boone and James L. McGargill, grantees, to Ming & Cooper grantees, City lots, Jan (Jun?) 29, 1859.
TRESURE, Frelin, is witness to deed to lots Auraria, Oct 29, 1859.
TRIPLETT, ---, of Spanish Diggings, Jul 1859. (See under Kennedy and Shank.)
TRIPP, W. C., 2nd Vice President of the Illion Town Company, Jefferson County 1859. On Oct 5 of this year files farm claim, described as situated in mountains, about two miles from the foot, and about two miles south of Bergen Ranche, and one mile east of Denver Wagon Road, etc. He is described as “of Arapahoe County,” but the farm claim recorded in Jefferson County office.
TRI-WEEKLY MINING REGISTER., a very fine miners’ journal, published in Central City, beginning with 1859. Many of the early files are preserved in the Colorado Museum, the property of the Historical Society of Colorado. A. Thomson and D. C. Collier were the earliest editors, and the last named owned it many years, taking its early files to California with him. These were after his death returned to Colorado. Collier built the Register Building to house the paper, and it still stands, the upper floor used for Masonic Hall, the ground floor for the Central City Register.
TROTTER, Jesse, an arrival of 1859, and partner of Huch A. Campbell of Central City, dealers in miners’ supplies, in early days.
TROWBRIDGE, George, mining, in Gregory’s in 1859, also agent in Denver of the large firm of Jones and Cartwright. His name appears in the Directory of that year. In autumn of same year, Sep 5, he is signed as witness to statement recorded by the Boston Company, and later, Oct 1, with Joseph Minter buys of John Hickey 160 acres land on Platte River. (Claim)
TRUCK, C. G., member of St. Louis Tunnelling Company, Gregory District 1859.
TUCK, H. L., of firm of Colver and Tuck, grantees, Jun 1, 1859, in Central City (J. D. Colver or Colier?). H. L. Tuck is grantee on same date of claim in the Gregory Lode recorded in Mountain City. (Gregory Records, pp. 30-31)
TUCK, Pencil, (may be nickname?) lived at Mountain City Feb 6, 1860 and earlier. May be Fiftyniner (?) Another Tuck came or occurred in the country in 1859, and his departure was not regretted according to accounts in the papers of the time.
TUCKER, Alfred, arrived May 28, 1859, on wagon from St. Louis, by Arkansas Route, the train having a number of wagons, and 20 men, of whom 17 were from Clinton County, Illinois. He was diligent for he located a claim two days later, on May 30, for farming purposes, which is described as beginning at a stone at base of Table Mountain about 25 rods south of first canon into the mountains. This was recorded in 1860, Jefferson County, Jefferson Territory. It included 160 acres. He was a delegate from Golden Gate to the Provisional Constitutional Convention, but in August of the following year warns all persons concerned that the said town is situated upon his land and must be moved off.
TUCKER, Anthony W., born Chaster County, Pennsylvania, Jan 10, 1837. Resident of Gilpin County greater part of life. Died 1898, buried Derby, Kansas. Left two daughters and a son. Arrived Colorado after a residence in Ohio, on Jul 5 (another account stated Jun 5 ?) 1859, stopping first in Auraria City, then mined in Gregory Diggings and settled at Mountain City, mined at Russell’s Gulch, and in same year of arrival set up a saw mill with Bentley & Bayaud, was its engineer (said to have been the first steam mill in Rocky Mountains). He then worked in Quartz mills, many of them, leasing one, which was known as the Tucker Quartz Mill. This, however, was burned in 1879. In 1880 he was Superintendent of the New York Quartz Mill in Blackhawk. He was County Commissioner, later moving to Nevadaville and managed the Whitcom stamp mill, and had interests in the banking business in Central. In an old list of pioneers in the Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 564, he is said to have been a resident of Bald Mountain. This was probably about 1879 (?) Bancroft mentions him in his history, and there is record of his life in the History of Boulder Valley published 1880. His wife was a Miss A. R. Brown, a daughter of Alexander Brown of New Philadelphia.
TUCKER, J. H., had Donation Lots in Golden City, “Drawn as donated” from the Golden City Association 1859. In 1860 his name is in list of their members. (See old Record Book of the Golden City Association.)
TUCKER, S. M., mentioned in papers of 1859 as Representative elect of the 4th District (Provisional Government). He appears in the files as mining in Colona at one time.
TUCKER GULCH, was near Golden Gate City, and said to have been named for Alfred Tucker. (?)
TUPPER, Charles P., “of County of Arapahoe,” 1859, associated with C. J. Post of same place, files farm claim, 160 acres on Cherry Creek, about six miles from its junction with Platte River, Sep 8. (This location would be in neighborhood of the modern town of Littleton. ?)
TUPPER, James R., is witness Aug 1, 1859 in deed transfer, Denver.
TURLEY, James H., member Society Colorado Pioneers, 1920, described in yearbook as arrival of 1859. Another list gives May as the month. And in a list including name abbreviated to J. M. Turley, it is stated to be May, and that his birthplace was Missouri, date Jul 30, 1830.
TURNDALL, French F., mentioned by Bancroft as a discoverer of a number of mines in Gilpin County in 1859.
TURNER, H. E., accompanied the Byers Party to Colorado in Feb 1859.
TURNER, J. H. (see below, J. J. Turney ?), delegate to first Constitutional Convention from Gregory Diggings, (Jun 11, 1859)
TURNER, Jack, was with company bringing supplies from Kansas 1858, arrived Jun 20. Was in 4th wagon of Lawrence Party (see Turney, below). Was living Durango 1895. Said to have been born Connecticut Mar 10, 1836. Original member Auraria Town Company.
TURNER, John, arrived Denver City May 21, 1859 with William Unger and John M. Merritt, via Leavenworth. (RMN, List of Arrivals)
TURNEY, Edward, on Aug 23, 1859, files for record a certificate of his Denver lots. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
TURNEY, John, Captain of the Wagon Train of the Lawrence Party, May 22, 1858. This must be the same who led the party, which explored the goldfields around site of Colorado City in same year. Name also given as J. H. Turney.
TUTTLE, E. N., grantor, Dec 22, 1859, lot 12, block 38, City of Auraria. He is “of County of Arapahoe.” Later E. N. Tuttle files farm or ranche claim, Jan 10, 1860, which he describes as being “east of Hiram Hills’ claim.” This is in Jefferson County for it is recorded in Golden. (Liber A, p. 21)
TWELVE MILE DIGGINGS, were at the head of North Clear Creek on the Left Hand, and west of Elk Ridge, in what was later known as the Wisconsin District. (Northwest of Gregory District) It was near Gold Hill.
TWITCHELL, Austin, also Lafayette Twitchell, “from Harding County, Illinois, now of Golden City” (mention in paper) in 1859 both owned “lots drawn as donated” in Golden City. (Jefferson County Land Records. The Record of Shareholders of the Golden City Association. Copy is unpaged.) The name of Lafayette Twitchell is in list of the members Society Colorado Pioneers, with arrival noted as of Jun 16. He is resident of Elizabethtown, Colorado, at time the booklet was compiled.
TWO BLUES, mining camp, was in Oct 29 a precinct in the campaign of the Provisional Government.
TYLER, G. W., on Oct 3, 1859 is grantee of land on Platte River, one half mile above mouth of Cherry Creek. He is “of Arapahoe County.” On following Nov 3, he is again grantee to land on North Platte, near mouth of Clear Creek, from William B. Smith. The consideration is $200, and Tyler’s partner in the transaction is J. Huckstep. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
TYNON, James, was a very noted pioneer of 1858, made many trips across the plains. On his gravestone in Fairmont Cemetery, Denver, the following facts are given: “Pioneer 1859, born Nov 1838, died Mar 6, 1918.” Rebecca, wife, died Jan 24, 1898. (He left one daughter, Adeline, who became the second wife of Orr Legge of Denver.) He owned considerable valuable property in Denver, and was a member of the Masonic order in high esteem. He had a lingering illness, in which he was nursed by his faithful daughter.
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: June 25, 2013