RALSTON CREEK, Jefferson County, coal was discovered here 1859. This creek rises up in Gilpin County, miles northeast of Gregory District, in what used to be called “Mountain House District.”
RALSTON, Lewis, was from Lumpkin County, Georgia, and of original Russell Party 1858.
RALSTON, William, a pioneer to California 1855, etc., said to have camped at mouth of Cherry Creek (?). Ralston Creek said to have been named for him.
RAMAGE, James Douglas, (his only appearance as anything but J. D. Ramage is in one land record). Was a jeweler, established the first watch-making and jewelry store in the goldfields Dec 1858, in a little cabin corner of Ferry and 5th Streets, Auraria City. He was the third businessman to establish at corner of 11th and Larimer Streets, only these three merchants in city of Auraria at this time. (It was the southeast corner of 11th and Larimer.) He is said to have arrived at mouth of Cherry Creek early in December, bringing his stock, of course, at once to his cabin. He bought nine lots of Auraria Town Company on Aug 16, the year 1859, “To be taken by lot from original share of Judson H. Dudley of Auraria.” Later, Dec 3, James Douglas Ramage “of Arapahoe County” is grantor to Abraham Jacobs, lot 12, block 9, City of Auraria. (Liber C, p. 116) Auraria Lodge of Masons was founded during this summer, and Ramage was Junior Deacon pro tem, and elected to office later. His home Lodge is noted as Cataraqui Lodge of Kingston, Canada. In 1906 Ramage lived in Beresford, South Dakota, and writes to the secretary of Denver Lodge No. 5 giving description of the founding of Auraria Lodge. (Memorial booklet, p. 42, of Denver Lodge No. 5, published by this body in 1909.) Ramage went to the Southern mines late in season of 1859, after helping start the Auraria Lodge, and he applied for his dimit from it in 1865. At this time there was only one original member in the Lodge (A. Sagendorf). His birth may have been about 1836, as he says (1906) he is almost 70 years of age. When he left Denver he went to Kingston, Canada. He states that he was very young when in Denver. He was secretary of the Chess Club also, in 1859. Among his activities of 1861 was the founding of Canon City, he being President of the Town Company, and must have had much to do with it.
RAMSDALE, A. W., was a stockholder of Auraria Town Company, Nov 1, 1858.
RAND, George M., on Oct 24, 1859 is grantee from Ned Lugeneris of a ranche claim on Clear Creek “near William Kinsler’s land.” Consideration $500. E. W. Cobb was his partner in this purchase.
RANDALL, J. G., residing in Como, Colorado 1890, name in Hall’s List of Pioneers, born New York Mar 4, 1832, arrived goldfields Jul 1859. There was a firm of miners, Harrison & Randall, in Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats during summer of this year.
RANDE, Jack, “an old Fiftyeight pioneer, living at Forks of St. Vrain.”
RANDON, James I., was a witness Nov 15, same year, to Denver deed.
RANSFORD, William P., (also give William B.), partner of James M. Piper, in several land transfers of 1859. On Jun 7 they are grantees of City of Auraria lot 11, block 1, prior to this, May 30, of William Clancy they are grantees of 10 average lots out of Clancy’s share in Denver City, consideration $200. Oct 24, Ransford & Piper “of Auraria” sell with improvements the “same property purchased of Thomas Golden, Jun 7, same year, being lot 11, block 1, Auraria. Previous to this they disposed of the Denver lots and one lot in Auraria to James Van Dusen of Auraria.
RANTSCHLER, J. M., arrived May 9, 1859, born Kentucky Jul 8, 1839. Lived Pueblo, Colorado for some time. Member Colorado Pioneer’s Association.
RARIDAN, James J., lived in Mountain City, a miner in Gregory Diggings, where he made a speech at a crowded miners’ meeting for protest against reducing the price of gold dust, which a number of the Denver and Auraria merchants were seeking to accomplish. A great deal of feeling was stirred among the miners, the RMN and other papers of the year giving very good accounts of the situation. Raridan, who seems a talented man, wrote for the RMN. Jan 1, 1860 issue of the Western Mountaineer, published in Golden, a defense of himself for an effort he tried, to break down the Provisional Government, which he thinks not very successful. He was a delegate from Sander’s Ranche to the convention to form the constitution of this government: This place was one of the political precincts of 1859.
RASMUSSEN, D. K., of Sterling, New York, arrived goldfields May 12, 1859. (N. Sterling appears in another place ?) (RMN, List)
RAUGH, George W., lived 1907. Arrived Colorado May 18, 1859. (Name from list Pioneer’s Association. Account does not state how many years he had lived in Brush.)
RAVEN, an Indian chief, much disliked by the people who could get little buffalo meat during winter, as Raven’s band of Indians appropriated it. (See RMN, p. 3, Sep 29, 1859.)
RAWSON, T., mining, summer of 1859, Tarryall diggings.
RAYMOND, C., was a member of the first Constitutional Convention, 1859, a delegate from Colona precinct.
READ, Enos, “Paid Jul 25, $1, C.C.P.,” name with list of nine others in back of Gregory Record for 1859 and probably a record of this year’s affairs. C.C.P. may be C. C. Post?
REAGAN, W., of Chicago Creek Bar was in Jan 1860 on a jury to try a case. Probably an arrival of the year 1859.
REAM, R. R. AND COMPANY, owner of claims in Gregory Diggings, Oct 1859 and record made of transaction in Gregory Record, p. 40.
REAMS, J. S., of Walker & Company of Gregory Gulch. (See under Walker.)
REASONER, H. C., together with party consisting of H. Hardy, G. Hardy, from Page County, Iowa, J. A. and J. O. Clark, J. W. Dee and S. H. Bridges from Illinois, A. C. Edwards from Brownsville, Nebraska Territory, all arrived with two wagons by Platte Route, Jun 2, 1859. (RMN, List of arrivals)
RED, Mr., mentioned by Cushman as an inventive miner of Gilpin County of 1859. (Quoted in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 204) Mr. Red exhibited his genius in a trip hammer, pivoted on a stump, the hammerhead pounding quartz in a wooden trough. (An account of the invention says it was styled “the woodpecker mill.”)
REECE or REESE, ---, a miner, who, spring of this year erected a small quartz mill on North Clear Creek, in partnership with John H. Gregory. (This was the last of Gregory’s activities before the drop of the curtain, 1860.) [Not true]
REED, ---, of Chicago Creek Bar, mentioned in Western Mountaineer of 1859 in connection with the case of Pascoe, who was taken to his cabin. (See under this name.)
REED, ---, his saloon referred to in RMN during ’59 Auraria.
REED, ---, Reed’s Theatre opened to public Oct 24, this year. Probably this refers to A. W. Reed, the musician.
REED, A. H., a witness in Auraria Oct 29, 1859. (Sale lots)
REED, A. W., his death and funeral in Central City Sep 7, 1863: noted in papers as a fiftynine arrival. He was at first a miner, then took up theatrical work, and became player for Olympic Theatre. He afterward played for Langrische & Dougherty, until day of his death. Native of Massachusetts, age 41 years, left a wife. He seems to have been a good man and much esteemed and beloved. Not long before his death he composed a “Dirge,” which was played at the funeral by the 1st Colorado. This band had been his students, for he was a fine musician; he had composed it in the night and before death arose and wrote it from his dying dreams. History has not recorded what became of this production, but there is no doubt it should be searched for and reproduced if discovered. The Tri-Weekly Mining Register, Sep 9, 1863, Central, has a very touching editorial upon his death.
REED, B., in 1859 a release of lots was made to him from P. T. Bassett, Jan 4. Probably arrival of previous year?
REED, Harvey G., an arrival of Jun 9, 1859, resided for most part in Canon City. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, name in their list.
REED, James B., stockholder Auraria Town Company, Nov 1, 1858. In following year member first Constitutional Convention, a delegate from Mountain City. He was in this year (spelled Reid here) proprietor of Auraria Ferry, an enterprize of this time. The Platte was crossed near mouth of the Cherry Creek from Auraria to Highlands. In the same year, Jul 28, he buys lots of John Scudder, all of Scudder’s rights in Denver City. On Jul 13 he is grantor to H. J. Brendlinger, lot corner of Blake and C. Streets, and on Nov 5 records ranche claim on Platte River, which is mentioned in a deed. (Liber F, p. 293, old) He is grantee on Aug 23, from Denver City Town Company of 10 lots, in blocks 140, 216, 278, and 333, which certificate states is share No. 504, and assigns same on back to D. P. Wallingford. Recorded Jul 11, 1860. He is still “resident of Auraria” Feb 3, 1860, and is grantee from Charles H. Dahler, of lot 6, block 33, City of Auraria. As the consideration was $1,500, it probably had quite a good house, and it seems to have been Cibola Hall, which he sells to Fisher and Rogers, Feb 20, same year.
REED, R. J., merchant, in list among Auraria business firms in Mss. Directory of 1859. (He is associated with J. L. Hiffner on Ferry Street.)
REED, Dr. Samuel, arrived with 20 others, in wagons from Des Moines, Iowa May 23, 1859. (List in RMN, May numbers) He is resident of Mountain City and Gregory Diggings, for is in list of officers of Mountain City Lodge A.F. & A.M., meeting on High Street this year, and is delegate from first Constitutional Convention from Gregory Diggings. (He was Secretary of Mountain City Lodge, Mr. Sopris being Worshipful Master.)
REEDY, J. F., receives Donation Lots, with his agreement to build hewed log house, or cabin (1859).
REES & COMPANY, mining, Pleasant Valley Diggings, seven men, summer 1859.
REESE, J. H., miner near Vanover leads, mentioned in notes of 1859.
REESE, John, mentioned in History Boulder County as born York County, Pennsylvania, Jan 12, 1831. Arrived goldfields, going to Boulder County 1859, farmer, of German and Welsh descent. Lived on farm in Green County, Ohio until age of 18 years, then carpenter, then moved Champaigne County, Illinois, after living four years Lucas County, Iowa, from whence he came Colorado goldfields, mining in spring of 1859 in Central City, until 1864 he purchased ranche on St. Vrain near entrance to St. Vrain Canon and in 1880 was still resident there, but he had also 200 acres in St. Vrain Creek, below the foothills. In autumn of 1871 was elected assessor of the county for term. In this year he married Miss Kate C. Gifford, and had a son and a daughter. Bancroft, in Vol. 25, History Colorado, speaks of John Reese as a farmer in the Arkansas Valley. This may be same pioneer.
REEVES, ---, firm of Witcher, Reeves, and Ford, mining in Russell Gulch, 1859.
REGAN, William, arrived in 11th wagon of the Lawrence Party 1858. He was stockholder of Auraria Town Company Nov 1, same year, and on Nov 30, a year later, is granted 17 Auraria City lots from the Town Company. He was candidate for Commissioner in December of this year, and on Jan 9, 1860 is grantor of lots on St. Louis Street in Auraria City.
REGENBURG, Henry, name in old list at end of Gregory Record, 1859, which may be list of persons of this year. Paid $2.50 to C. C. Post.
REID, Amos, also Norman, arrived from South Park trip in summer 1859, mentioned in RMN.
REID, Walter G., grantee Aug 24, 1859 of title to shares in Denver Town Company.
REITHMANN, Fred G., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived 1859, resided Denver 1920.
REITHMANN, John J., living in 1925, and claims to have been the original builder on east side of Platte at Montana City, 1858. Born Switzerland Nov 20, 1838, arrived Colorado Oct 20, 1858, in company with his brother Louis D., they being one day ahead of the Plattsmouth Nebraska Party, but they all camped together at head of Sand Creek. He is the most widely known of all the pioneer druggists of Colorado, his place well remembered by historians; he was the only living resident of the City of Montana, when on Nov 9, 1924 he attended the unveiling of the monument marking its site. For information relative to his family, etc., see the several histories of Colorado.
REITHMANN, Louis D., (see above) born Lausanne, Switzerland May 8, 1842, arrived Colorado 1858. He came United States with parents, living Utica, New York; Cincinnati, Ohio; Indianapolis; Council Bluffs, Iowa. Was a baker, kept restaurant in Montana, lived Salt Lake City, etc. in 1868 in dairy business and with brother J. J. owned land where the modern Country Club now stands. Has lived in Cheyenne, Nevada, and then Denver once more. Was also in grocery business.
REITZE, Jenry, pioneer of 1858, Oct 30, born Germany Dec 18, 1830. Emigrated London age 18 to learn baking trade, worked there six years, then emigrated United States, living in Bridgport, Connecticut, followed business of a painter until 1867 , then moved to Nebraska, farmed near Omaha and in 1858 traded farm for wagon and yoke of oxen, and crossed plains to Denver. Sold team and started first bakery in Auraria City, made $3,500 in eight months, mined also in Nevada Gulch, then returned Nebraska, married and returned with wife and started painting establishment which still exists in Denver, though operated now by members of his family. In 1859 (Directory) his shop is located on 11th Street between Wazee and Market (according to present names of streets). This would be now about 1427 11th Street, near where the original Masonic Hall stands. A picture of his residence is in The Trail, Vol 14, No. 12, p. 22.
RELLOY (?), S. B., mentioned in RMN as Territorial Representative elect from 13th District 1859.
REMINGTON, Charles, mentioned in list of persons in Golden 1859.
REMINGTON, Joseph C., mentioned in History Clear Creek Valley as resident of Golden in year above, from Missouri originally, but native of Connersville, Indiana, born Apr 7, 1831. Learned blacksmith’s trade in father’s shop, emigrated to Quincy, Illinois, Burlington, Iowa, and pioneer to California 1854. (Isthmus Route) Then Warsaw, Illinois, St. Louis, etc., 1862 Montana, and later Salt Lake, after 1872 Golden. In files of the Colorado Republican, of Sep 13, 1861 is the following marriage which may be of above pioneer: Married, J. C. Remington of Golden City, to Miss Matilda Davis of Cole Creek, at Tremont House, Denver, by the Rev. Arthur Billingsley.
RENSHAW, John, also Joe, Indian half white trader in Denver 1859. Mentioned in Larimer’s Reminiscences, p. 157.
RENSLAER, William, associated with Joe Richard (pronounced Reshaw) in a saloon in 1859. (Directory) Denver, Blake Street.
RENTFELDT, Henry, grantee Dec 8, 1859, south ½ of lot 9, block 41, City of Auraria.
REYLAND, J. P., on Oct 12, of same year, pays money to A. Jacobs in favor of Lucien Buddee of Illinois, and on Nov 22 is grantee of lots in Highland.
REYNOLDS, Stephen, was witness in real estate transaction August of same year, Sep 28 grantee of lots (Denver). In Directory of 1859 S. Reynolds is noted as “Hotel Keeper,” with location on Blake Street. On Nov 28 of year, Stephen Reynolds dates a lease or mortgage contract, aff. his house on Blake Street, on lot 14, block 42, known as the Sutherland Hotel, for one year to E. B. Sutherland for consideration of $2,000 payable quarterly, and the record also gives items of furniture leased with the building:
RHODES, A. G., member of first Colorado Pioneers’ Association organized Jun 22, 1866 (RMN, files) It is stated that only arrivals of 1858-59 are eligible to membership at this time.
RHODES, J. F., candidate for County Attorney of Jefferson County, resided Golden under Provisional Government of 1859. (Files)
RICE, John T., the following marriage in the files may be of one who arrived in the same year above, for January was not a good month for crossing the plains, and as the marriage is so early in the year it seems more than likely that they were at least enroute to the goldfields in latter part of 1859, if not arrived much earlier. (?) Married at residence of D. C. Oakes, in Auraria, Feb 29, 1860, Mr. John T. Rice and Miss Eliza Needham of Auraria, by Rev. C. A. Lamm. (?) If not entitled to place as pioneer of that year he may be relative of some of the other persons of Rice name.
RICE, L., (of Kansas) arrived above year. (See under L. Rodenstein.)
RICE, Lewis A., grantor, with others, of claim in Nevada Diggings Sep 29 of this year. (Gregory Record, p. 10)
RICE, N. H., associated with Mr. Moyne in business, Denver, 1859. (Directory) In March of this year he is to finish hewed log house which is to occupy his Donation Lots recorded in 1858. One of the papers (RMN) published the following marriage: N. H. Rice, of Denver City, married Miss Lizzie A. Wheeler of Schroom, Essex County, New York, in that place Apr 2, 1863. In Directory of Denver 1873 Rice lives at northwest corner Curtis and I. “The firm of Rice & Moyne, proprietors of the new furniture store on F. Street, above Larimer, presents the RMN with a fine black walnut table.” (RMN, 1859)
RICE, William R., in records dated Sep 13, 1859, owns Denver lots.
RICHARD, Joseph, (pronounced Reshaw), was a French trapper living in Denver, being in list of “Merchants handling gold dust” and having business on Blake Street, and the name J. Richard appears in Directory, 1866, and may be the same (?) He had lot transactions in June, also in Aug 1859 and Oct 10 is grantee of lots in City of Auraria from Evelyn P. and James M. Clark, both of whom appeared before D. C. Collier in Arapahoe County, etc. Evelyn B. Clark is marked as “of St. Louis.”
RICHARD, Peter, grantee, Auraria lots (lot 7, block 35) Dec 17, 1859.
RICHARDS, D. M., born Ohio Mar 27, 1836, arrived Denver Apr 24, 1859. (See Portrait and Biographical Index of this compilation for more extended notice of this pioneer.)
RICHARDS, Elizabeth, grantee, Oct 29, 1859, four lots in the following blocks, Auraria: 35-162-212, and lot 4 in block 65. The last would be on 9th Street, east side, about centre, facing east.
RICHARDS, James W., mentioned by Bancroft, Vol. 25, p. 385), as pioneer of South Park born Ohio, farmed in Illinois, thence to Colorado mines. He was in the fast freight business for seven years between Denver and Central, and also in flour and grain trade. In Jun 1859 J. W. Richards and Mrs. Richards appear in Arapahoe County Land Records.
RICHARDS, W. G., witness, Mountain City, Oct 1, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 11)
RICHARDS, (firm of Ernart & Richards), mining, summer 1859, Nevada.
RICHARDSON, Albert D., arrived in goldfields with the celebrated Horace Greeley of the New York Tribune, the expedition being a plan to thoroughly investigate the goldfields in interests of the public.
They were highly entertained, escorted everywhere, and many City lots laid at their feet, as the Arapahoe County Land Records will show. Golden City led off on Nov 5 with gifts of lots 5, block 56, lot 8, block 114, lot 12, block 168 and lot 5, block 331, and many more. All these and the following to Mr. Richardson: Auraria City Town Company, lot 9, block 336, lot 7, block 116, lot 9, block 194 and lot 3, block 67. (Nov 9, 1859) Highlands City Town Company donated many shares of stock, as did also Colorado City Company, and the St. Vrain Town Company granted to him 10 shares. After the visit was ended the RMN mentions that “Mr. A. D. Richardson of the Boston Journal leaves for the States.” Mr. Richardson then writes from Taos, New Mexico which is noticed several years afterward. His death is mentioned in the Tri-Weekly Mining Register, p. 2, May 23, 1863,Central, in an editorial. It says he was probably killed with five other newspaper correspondents, before Vicksburg, on the Tug which was destroyed with hot shot from the Vicksburg batteries, “as only one or two are known to have escaped. He was correspondent of the New York Tribune.” (See Portrait and Biographical Index of this compilation for further matters of interest concerning A. D. Richardson.)
RICHARDSON, C. L., arrived Jun 15, 1859, is member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, resided in Victor, Colorado in 1920.
RICHARDSON, J., of Mountain City, Jul 1859, one of the rescue party to find and bury the bodies murdered by Indians in Jul 1859. (See under Kennedy and Shank.)
RICHARDSON, Jacob, of Denver and Auraria 1859, mentioned in advertizement in paper RMN as finding stolen cattle, and trying to locate owner. He has Power of Attorney in November this year from James Richardson, to sell Auraria lots.
RICHARDSON, James, “of City of Auraria,” Nov 7, 1859 is grantor to the Wisconsin Company of Auraria, many Auraria lots. In Liber F, p. 216, old, is his deed from Auraria Town Company Aug 27, previously.
RICHARDSON, Jarvis (or Jervis?), arrived Oct 24, 1858 with Plattsmouth Nebraska Company and in the following year has Donation Lot from Auraria Town Company, acc. with agreement to build hewed log house. He was a stockholder in the Town Company Nov 1858.
RICHARDSON, S. V., of St. Louis, arrived Cherry Creek May 28, 1859 by Smoky Hill Route, having left Leavenworth Apr 21, 14 men in party.
RIDDLESBERGER, Matthew, a stockholder of Golden City in 1859. (RMN) N. C. Riddleburger also appears as stock or shareholder in the Golden City Association, same year. (Golden City Association Shareholders’ Book)
RIDER, Peter A., from one of the small pioneer’s lists his name is taken. Arrived Jun 30, 1859, living Denver 1907. (From very small booklet published 1907.)
RIDER, R. G., was a witness in sale of Auraria lots Aug 7, 1859 and the RMN mentions during the season that Dr. R. G. Rider has an office on Ferry Street, Auraria, one door above the office of that paper. He had Denver Donation Lots 1859.
RIETHMANN, Emil, born Switzerland Mar 5, 1844, arrived Denver Mar 29, 1859. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, always most prominent, many records of this, see all the various histories of Colorado, etc. In 1920 was living in Denver. See under Reithmann for his brothers.
RILEY, A. B., is mentioned as on committee with Dr. I. E. Hardy to secure a house for first school started in Golden City, Dec 28, 1859. Capt. Riley, mentioned as mining at Gregory’s Diggings during this first year, and also as Secretary of the Minnehaha Town & Marble Company, incorporated Nov 16, same year, (Henry Allen being President). The town situated on south fork of Plum Creek on west side of said creek, and 15 miles from the Junction with north side said stream (description as being “in Arapahoe County.”)
RILEY’S GULCH, on Divide, south of Denver, is mentioned in history as having had some settlements as early as 1859, among them John Nash.
RIPLEY, Aaron, mentioned in history as being pioneer of this year in Arkansas Valley.
RIPLEY, Thomas, “of Auraria” gives Power of Attorney to O. A. Lee to represent him in disposing of his lots in Auraria, also the cabin in which he is interested in Montana City, and full power to transact all his other business “acknowledged Nov 29, 1859, at 12 O’clock a.m.” The paper is dated Mar 10. His property in Auraria is noted as consisting of two lots.
RIST, George, arrived May 21, 1859, resident of Loveland, was born Pennsylvania Apr 16, 1841. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. (Name from their list, Vol. 2, p. 562) (Hall’s Colorado History)
RIST, Joseph, (name from list in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 562), born Pennsylvania, Jan 25, 1832, lived Russell Gulch 1890, deceased before 1900. Was an arrival of May 1859.
RITCHIE, R. B., of Clayton, Georgia, arrived by Santa Fe Route with 10 others, all from same place, May 30, 1859. Left Leavenworth, Kansas Apr 1. Trip consumed two months. (RMN. list)
ROACH, a man of this name died of starvation on the long trail going to Pike’s Peak in 1859. He was of Whiteside, Illinois. (Mentioned in RMN, files, 1859)
ROBERTS, ---, deed in 1858 to him, Donation Lots, to hold for building hewed log house.
ROBERTS, of firm of Meeks & Roberts, mining during that summer in Russell’s Gulch. Another firm here Smith & Roberts.
ROBERTS, Dr. C. A., late of Peoria, Illinois, is now of Mountain City. Was a candidate for Congress under Provisional Government of 1859. He lives also at Tarryall, and at Gregory Diggings. Said to be of Pekin, Illinois, and according to the Gregory Record book of claims was Recorder of Gregory District (now Gilpin County) Sep 30, same year.
ROBERTS, James, Apr 1, 1859 located farm or ranche claim, 160 acres commencing at a stake, from the east side of a spring branch, rising in the valley of Cherry Creek, about 11 miles up from Denver City. “This claim consists of a foundation, laid on Dec 5, last (1858) and contains 160 acres.” Filed in Denver City Oct 7, 1859. In Apr 1860 Roberts deeds this to B. F. Jeffries for $500, but it is deeded back same month. (Probably a Trust Deed. ?) James Roberts is also miner, for on Sep 28, 1859, he deeds a claim in Roberts’ Lode, which is recorded in Gregory Record, p. 19, and noted as being deeded at Mountain City.
ROBERTS, S. K., resident of Mountain City in list of 1859.
ROBERTS & COMPANY, 10 men mining Pleasant Valley, summer 1859.
ROBERTS & JENNINGS, of Denver, grantors, Aug 25, same, some lots.
ROBINSON, ---, firm of Laycock, Robinson & Company are mining during summer of ’59 at Missouri Flats and Illinois Gulch. (RMN, files, 1859)
ROBINSON, George, arrived Jul 3, 1859, list in Gilpin County Record Book of Pioneers of 1858-9. Was deceased before 1923.
ROBINSON, J., (from Illinois), arrived in Wagon 4 of E. Doty’s Lightning Express train of 10 wagons, May 22, 1859. (RMN, list of arrivals)
ROBINSON, J. P., is witness to signature of deed in Jefferson County Land Office, deed signed “at Eight Mile House,” Jan 1, 1860.
ROBINSON, James, “of Arapahoe County” Jul 9, 1859, and grantor of Auraria lots for $200. (Five houses and stable, together with lot 6, block 6, Auraria, dated and recorded in Arapahoe County Land Records.)
ROBINSON, Jasper J., arrived May 1859, name in Pioneer’s List of 1907 as resident of Greeley. He was living in that place 1920.
ROBINSON, Jim, mentioned by George A. Jackson in his diary, Hall’s Colorado History’ Vol. 2, p. 521.
ROBINSON, John, member in year 1866 of first Colorado Pioneers’ Association, which included only arrivals of 1858-59. This Society fell through, but its meeting is in files of RMN circa Jun 22 that year.
ROBINSON, L. L. AND COMPANY, mining, summer of 1859, with six men, in Russell’s Gulch.
ROBINSON, M. F., Nov 23, 1859 with T. R. Short, buys ranche claim of 160 acres, of L. Conley & Company of Golden City. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 27)
ROBINSON, Thomas, Claim in McLeod & Company (No. 14). See map of this company’s property under McLeod. Probably an arrival of same year.
ROBINSON, Thomas M., on Jan 1, 1860 buys ranche known as “Eight Mile House,” situated on Golden City and Gregory Roads, at head of Gulch, eight miles above Golden Gate. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 35) Notice above that J. P. Robinson is witness at this House to signing of a deed.
ROCH & COMPANY, mining, Russell’s Gulch, four men. (Files, ’59)
ROCHE, Thomas, on Sep 21 was witness in sale of Auraria lots from J. H. Elder to August Stebinsky. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old, 1859) There was also a John Roche (relative?) who buys in 1862 for consideration of $100 lot 10, block 30, West Denver, of Emily A. Walrod, wife of Abram Walrod. She signs on Nov 2 in Fulton County, Illinois. This is probably the “Old Roche Property” sold in the late seventies or early eighties to Dr. Edw. Williams. John may have been a later arrival than Thomas Roche.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN BREWERY, of Auraria, is advertized in the Western Mountaineer, Dec 28, 1859, Golden. Salomon Tascher is proprietor. The name of Charles Tascher also appears as one of the owners.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN CITY, was nine miles above the foot of the mountains. Usually called “Mountain City.” (See)
ROCKY MOUNTAIN DEBATING CLUB, mentioned in the papers of the time as having been organized in Dec 1859.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN GOLD REPORTER & MOUNTAIN CITY HERALD, was one of the finest productions of 1859, and its files show a very clever editor. He was Thomas Gibson, and the paper first came out in Mountain City on Aug 6. The office was at Gregory Point. It was a four column, four page sheet, containing a description of Golden City in its front page of the first edition; mentions that the population consists of 930 men and 70 women. The town then had 50 cabins and houses. The last number of this paper was dated Sep 29, same year, when Gibson removed to Denver, and sold it to the Boston Company, it is said, and other papers grew out of it. Its list of members of the first Constitutional Convention is the most complete of any that was published. These names are reproduced in Smiley’s History of Colorado, Vol. 1, pp. 337-8. The file still exists.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN HERALD, Gibson’s paper, mentioned above, sometimes called by this name, but came out May 25, 1861 as Colorado Republican & Rocky Mountain Herald, supporting Lincoln; the rival paper, Rocky Mountain News, supporting Douglas. Thomas Gibson and O. McCraney were the Republican’s editors. Gibson was of Fontanelle, Nebraska.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS, arrived in the goldfields in Feb 1859, the first number appearing in April. The outfit of type, etc., was a purchase made at Belleview, below Omaha, and William N. Byers, its proprietor, was accompanied by Thomas Gibson and Dr. George C. Monell. Its files of early days exist in two sets, one kept in the library of the Historical Society, the other at the Denver Public Library. This paper is still being published in Denver. It was always until of late years, a Democratic paper. From its first number, Mr. Byers tried to have it appeal to the best feelings of the people. On the first page of No. 1, Vol. 1, appears the following:
“What is the KEY to human misery? WHIS—KEY”
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RANGERS, a vigilance committee organized as a military company in 1859, Auraria, to patrol streets when necessary, arresting thieves and other bad characters. The system adopted by them quickly cleared the town of “undesireables.” This organization had branches in all the camps in the district before the year was over. Mountain City started Dec 11.
RODENSTEIN, J., of Kansas Territory, arrived in E. Doty’s Lightning Express, a train of 10 wagons, his place being located in wagon No. 8 on May 22, 1859. Some of his companions were R. Boyd, Mr. Hunt, and Mr. Scott of New York, and from Kansas Territory, Mr. L. Rice. Later on in the year (RMN, p. 3, Dec 28) appears note of the suit of Elizabeth Rodenstein vs. John Rodenstein of Arapahoe County.
RODMAN, Francis, “paid $1, S. B. T.” inscribed against his name in an old list in back of the Gregory Record, 1859. May be identical with H. F. Rodman?
RODMAN, H. F., of Connecticut, his arrival given under D. Boyd. (See.)
RODOLPHE, Mrs., may have been a resident as there is filed a certificate of her Denver lots Aug 23, 1859.
ROE, Robert S., arrived at Goldfields Jun 22, 1859 (another account states the date as October (?)) died Colorado Springs Jun 30, 1924. He was one of the earliest in Colorado Springs, after mining in Gilpin County, chiefly in Russell’s Gulch. In 1862 when the war broke out he was 2nd Lieut., 2nd Colorado Infantry, later becoming 1st Lieut., and Adjutant. He then went to Chicago, Illinois, but returned Colorado 1874, having transfer business in the interval up to 1879. In 1875 was Adj. Gen. of Colorado, member Legislature 1878, and in 1885 nominated as candidate for Governor on Republican ticket, Bates also being a candidate, and several others. He was the son of a Baptist minister in England, the Rev. Charles Hill Roe. (Obituary) He left two sons, Charles Roe of Denver and William S. Roe, principal of Colorado Springs High School. In 1920 his name is listed among pioneers of ’59 with residence in Denver.
ROE, Solomon, one of the original stockholders of City of Auraria in Nov 1858. He is said to have been of Lumpkin County, Georgia, and of original Russell party, headed by Green Russell. On Dec 8, 1859, for consideration of $1, the Auraria Town Company conveys to him 21 Auraria lots. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
ROGERS, ---, of firm of Totten & Rogers, lumber dealers, Larimer Street, Denver City 1859.
ROGERS, ---, firm of Fisher, Almy & Rogers, Denver, same year.
ROGERS, Henry J., was an arrival of this year, for he had property in county of Ripley, Missouri, which he traded in 1859 for a parcel of Denver property. In December of this year he was nominated as candidate for Councilman. On Feb 19, 1860 we find him in the work of Secretary, and member of the Vestry of the new Episcopal Church, and RMN of Oct 3, this year, gives notice of his marriage to Miss Crimona B. Kehler, on the preceding Sep 27 at the residence of the Rev. J. H. Kehler, on Larimer Street. On Jun 22, 1886 he appears in the same journal as Treasurer of the earliest Colorado Pioneers’ Association, at a meeting of Argonauts of ’58-59 in Denver. He had many transactions in lots also, and was a stirring character.
ROGERS, Hickory, member of the LeCompton party coming with them to mouth of Cherry Creek Nov 16, 1858, from Kansas Territory. He, of course, was mining, as all of them were, at first, but must have had political talents for during Mar 1859 was elected County Commissioner, and also Supervisor. He had been a Director of the Denver City Town Company and stockholder in 1858 and later. He is mentioned among the merchants handling gold dust in the list published in RMN during summer of 1859, living in Denver or Auraria, but he must have removed to Huerfano later for he is listed with the members of the first Constitutional Convention as a delegate from that place. Again his name appears as a resident of Fountain City, then comes to Denver again, as he borrows money on some of his Denver lots on Dec 9 of that year. There is also a mention in RMN of his “Leaving for Arkansas.” His Will, bearing date Nov 13, 1859, is recorded in the old Arapahoe County Land Records, and is as follows:
To Miss Nannie McDonald, ward of John Melvin, Esq., of Fort Smith, Arkansas, all his land property in the city of Denver, being original share, also two original shares in Fountain City, and one original share in Colorado City, and one original share in Douglas City. Also a farm claim on Arkansas River, known as McDougal’s Ranche, also all mining property and stock, shares, etc. of the Jefferson Quartz Mining Company in the Rocky Mountains.
Oscar B. Totten and George Wynkoop were named as Executors. This document was recorded Nov 14, 1859. Witness W. H. Lawin. The probating of this will, if it ever occurred, has been recorded in some later book, for the compiler could not find it in the time she was able to bestow upon the search. Wills, however, used to be written and recorded, before taking hazardous trips, and this may be such a one. (?)
ROGERS, J., arrived May 30, 1859 from Clayton, Georgia via Santa Fe Trail. (60 days enroute) Recorded in list of arrivals in RMN.
ROGERS, J. S., lived in Golden Gate City in 1859, for was a delegate to convention of formation of the Provisional Government representing that camp. (August)
ROGERS, W. B., was witness to a deed in Denver Nov 1859. He is resident of Illinois Central Precinct during the canvas for the Provisional Government, for he represents that place as delegate.
ROGERS & COMPANY, mining in Pleasant Valley, five men, summer ’59.
ROLAND, William, Nov 1, 1858 is stockholder in Auraria Town Company. Later, Apr 7, in following year, is grantor of land known as “Sanders’ Ranche” about 15 miles from Auraria; grantees are Henderson & Brierly. (Roland signs with X.)
ROLDUR, Joseph A., during year ’59 is grantee of Denver lots.
ROLLINGS, A., arrived Jun 10, 1859, and his name in List of Gilpin County Pioneers is marked “died,” but no information.
ROLLINS, Alfred, of Golden City, had Dec 21, this year, trial in Golden, for property lost, etc.
ROLLINS, John Q. A., was member and present in 1866 at first organization of Colorado Pioneers in Denver, where he lived at that time at the “Planters’ Hotel.” He arrived either ’58 or ’59. A very good notice of his life is in the Bascom, History of Clear Creek County and Boulder Valley. (See this for information.) In the Mss. Denver and Auraria Directory of 1866 he is characterized as in the mining business.
ROOKER, John, on May 27, 1859 built, it is said the first house in Auraria, and in consideration of having done so the Town Directors donated him three additional shares in the Town Company in addition to those he had, making in all 16 lots. It is stated in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 236, that John Rooker killed Jack O’Niell of Auraria in Mar 1860 during a quarrel.
ROOKER, Lycynthia Rebecca (see), on Jul 8, 1859 is grantee from Auraria Town Company of lot 5, block 77, in Auraria City, consideration $1, “filed for record Apr 6, at 4-3/4 o’clock p.m. A.D. 1859.” (Liber E, p. 323, old) Her name in above paper is Rebecca Rooker, but when later she sells the property which is described as being in Arapahoe Avenue (now 8th Street) between 7th and 8th Streets (now Curtis & Champa Streets) to A. L. King, her name is given as Lucynthia R. Rooker. This sale is dated Apr 6, 1860.
ROOKER, Samuel M., was member of Auraria Town Company Nov 1, 1858, and is said to have lived at Dry Creek Diggings in this time with wife and son John Rooker. They were non-polygamous Mormons, coming from Salt Lake, and living first at Montana City on Platte River. He had some transactions in lots about Jul 1859, and was Constable and Oct 26 was Deputy Sheriff of Arapahoe County. At Sheriff’s sale Jul 1, he bought lot 1, block 40 in Auraria.
ROOKER & DUNCAN, mining, Pleasant Valley, three men.
ROOT, R. P., arrived goldfields in Wagon 4 of E. Doty’s Lightning Express train of 10 wagons, May 22, 1859. (See RMN, list, May)
ROPER (ROPES?), Edw. E., is signed as a witness in Mountain City Oct 1, 1859, in Gregory Record, p. 17, and in List of Members of Auraria Lodge A.F. & A.M. 1861 the name appears as a member of the Lodge.
ROSAD & SMITH, grantees from J. W. Churchill, 1859. (Liber B) Reference lost, but may be Golden. (See.)
ROSE, Daniel, Denver, date Oct 20, 1859, takes part in conveyance from Woodward & Waggoner, associated with Rose being Frederick Lefaire.
ROSE, Edward E., mentioned in record in Gregory Jul 30, ’59. (See below.)
ROSE, L. M., Jul 30, above year, grantor of claim in south of Gregory Diggings. (Edward E. Rose mentioned) (Gregory Record, p. 42, old, ’59)
ROSE, M. D., name in Mss. Directory Denver ’59, residing Blake Street.
ROSS, Mr., circulates petition for erection of schoolhouse in City of Auraria for use of both towns, Sep 22, 1859. (p. 3)
ROSS, C. M., signed as witness to deed between Nathaniel Mitchell and others claims in Gregory Mining District 1859. (Gregory Record)
ROSS, D., member first Constitutional Convention 1859, a delegate from McLary. There must have been a firm of McLary & Ross, for such had lots drawn as donated in Golden City, same year. (List shareholders book)
ROSS, Daniel, partner of Michael Nooney, or Rooney (?), Sep 28, 1859 in 80 acre ranche on Clear Creek.
ROSS, Ellen, grantee from J. L. Heffner, lot 7, block 90 Auraria, consideration $50, filed for record Jan 4, 1860. Dated Nov 10, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
ROSS, J. C. & COMPANY, mining in Russell’s during summer of ’59, averaged $100 a day on the Fisk Lode. (Hollister)
ROSS, Jon. W., witness to deed between Richard Cartwright and S. S. Curtis, Denver City, May 5, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old)
ROSS, R. C., an express package advertized in RMN for this one.
ROSS, Robert, witness to Denver deed, recorded there, Liber A, p. 80, Jul 1, 1859.
ROSS, W. F., witness of deed, Mountain City, Oct 1, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 17) Oct 3, he makes statement which is recorded that his claim cannot be worked for want of proper machinery.
ROSSES, Edw. E., (or Ropes or Roper ?) (see) is grantee of mining claim, Gregory Diggings, from William Lynch, Oct 3, 1859. (Old Claims, p. 43)
ROTHROCK, John, discoverer of Gold Run, diggings Boulder County, in 1859 and built the “Eleven Cabins” below Denver on Platte, earlier in 1858. Arrived at old Fort St. Vrain Oct 17, 1858 with Captain Yount and others. The History of Boulder Valley states that he was born in Centre County, Pennsylvania of German and Scotch descent, and emigrated first to Nebraska City, engineering one year with surveying party, then carpentry and contracting, lived in Denver for a time, then to Boulder City. He had joined John Gregory’s party prospecting in North Park, Spring Gulch, California Gulch, and Boulder Creek placers, then returned to his ranche, taken up in 1860 on Boulder Creek, where in 1880 (date of publication of above mentioned book) he was still living. His wife was formerly Miss Eliza C. Buford, of Lancaster County, Missouri, married Jan 1867.
ROTHSCHILD, Lewis, was grantee of lots in Denver on Jan 4, 1860 so it is very likely he arrived the previous year.
ROTTOLPH, (Bottolph?), William, Aug 23, 1859 files certificate of ownership of his Denver lots from the Town Company.
ROUGH, George, pioneer of May 20,1859 (quoted from information in newspaper clipping, pasted in Record Book of Gilpin County Pioneers).
ROWAN, Nelson, was located in Russell’s Gulch as early as Jan 12, 1860. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 8, old) He probably arrived ’58 or ’59. He located land claim Jan 21, 1860, but the deed mentioned above was to J. T. Pierce, to a claim on Ralston Creek, beginning at southwest corner of John Moodie’s claim, etc., witnesses N. B. Rowley, J. H. Phelps. (Dated as mentioned above, by Nelson Rowan of Russell’s Gulch, Jan 12, 1860.)
ROWE, D., mentioned in RMN list of arrivals at goldfields May 28, 1859. He was from Missouri.
ROWLANDS, W. F., certificate of his ownership of two lots, Denver City, “Where his house stands,” and two Draw Lots in addition. He assigns these lots to J. H. Holloway of Denver Aug 22, 1859. The purchase, or certificate, was dated previous April. (Liber A, p. 27, old) The lots containing his house were on Larimer Street. The Directory of Denver 1866 included name of W. Rowlands, who is located on G. Street and is Constable. (?)
ROWLEY, N. B., is witness and signs “of Russell’s Gulch” Jan 19, 1860. He is very likely a Fiftyniner. (Jefferson County Land Records deed between Nelson Rowan and J. T. Pierce.)
ROWLEY, William V., grantee, Oct 17, 1859, lot 3, block 32, Auraria from T. Pollock.
RUBER, ---, had lot in Auraria Jan 1859 with --- Foster. There is note (obituary) of Francis Rubler, or Rublee, “late of Gilpin County,” his estate advertized in Tri-Weekly Mining Register of that county in Apr 1863. The property was large, mining interests, tunnells, etc., Henry P. Cowenhoven being administrator. The similarity of name suggests that there may be a connection.
RUCHERHANTZ, Fred, (?), see under Kritcherhantz (?)
RULE, Charles, formerly of Whiteside County, Illinois, found with one dead and one living brother, perished of starvation on the trail between Denver and Kansas City, by parties going to the States. The others were George Rule, dead of starvation, and Alex Rule, living but much exhausted, who was taken back with the party. (Files, May, 1859) None of them reached Pike’s Peak, but all were Fiftyniners to the goldfields.
RUMMELL, D. C., member Kilpatrick & Company, operating mines, Gregory District Jun 20, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 19)
RUMSEY, William, clerk, firm of Jones & Cartwright, Denver & Auraria (Directory of 1859) William A. Rumsey was signed as witness Dec 17 this year in Arapahoe County sale of farm claim.
RUNKLE, Old West Denver name ----- 1870, etc.
RUNYAN, Charles, arrived [with] the “Lawrence Party” in 1858, bearing supplies to the goldfields from Kansas. He travelled in the 6th wagon.
RUSSELL, ---, of Crandall, Russell & Company, mining in Russell’s Gulch summer of 1859, mentioned in the papers.
RUSSELL, ---, of Jones, Russell & Company, Express, Blake Street, Denver in MSS Business Directory of 1859.
RUSSELL, ---, of firm of Russell, Majors & Waddell, miners outfitters were selling blankets, shirts, socks, hardware, advertized goods worth $35,000 in Denver. Mr. Hiram Lightner, in Apr 1860 was Manager.
RUSSELL, ---, his cabin in Auraria, was used for the earliest meeting of Freemasons, before the organization of any lodge (see pamphlet, History of Lodge No. 5, A.F. & A.M. of Colorado published Denver 1909 by Past Master Charles A. Stokes.) Other authorities state that Lehow’s cabin was the first, and no doubt both were used in 1858. (See under Masonry.) Probably all the Russells had cabin together.
RUSSELL, B. O. born in Pennsylvania Mar 14, 1821. Arrived Denver Jul 23, 1859. His name is signed as witness to statement concerning claim of L. D. Crandall in Gregory Diggings on Sep 2, same year of arrival. This paper is dated at Mountain City, and on Sep 9 he files claim to rights in Sterling Lode, and on Bobtail. The names of the company are Levi Russell, Royall Jacobs, Hiram A. Johnson, and Thomas Walker. Later, in records of the old Gregory Record seems to have met with reverses, for he makes petition to delay development of his mine, as it cannot be worked for want of proper machinery. In this he is associated with Henry Grinold.
RUSSELL, D., arrived May 28, 1859. Said to be from Missouri. Later RMN mentioned him among others as mining in Colona Diggings.
RUSSELL, D. L., in list in RMN. Name appears associated with J. Young and others, as arrivals from Missouri by Santa Fe Route, with 5 wagons, 30 men, Jun 1, 1859.
RUSSELL, Joseph Oliver, brother of the two noted ones, William G. and L. J. Russell, coming with the first Russell party from Georgia, 1858, in June. He was known in Denver as “Oliver.” Married Jane Robertson. Born Lumpkin County, Georgia Dec 24, 1828, died Menard County, Texas Oct 28, 1906. He was a cattleman there after 1870. His wife was a sister of Peter Robinson, a Texan, and cattleman there, of means. It is said that his son, Richard Robertson Russell, amassed a fortune of several millions. Eugene Parsons, in The Trail, Sep 1923, says that J. O. Russell had a large family of children. Parsons interviewed the widow, Mrs. Jane Russell, in Denver about this year, and her age then was 85 years, she was making a visit to the scenes of her husband’s early life. Her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Mattie Elizabeth Strickland Russell, accompanied her, and was interviewed also by Parson. There are some records of transactions in lots by Russell in 1859, one in Arpahoe County Land Records, Liber D, p. 126, old, which was made affecting some Auraria lots, described in the record Dec 8 of that year. J. O. Russell entered Confederate Army in 1863, going from Denver on purpose to do so. One authority states that all three of these Russell brothers were born in South Carolina. (?) Portrait of J. O. Russell may be seen in Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 184.
RUSSELL, Levi Jaspar, familiarly known as “Levi,” and also as Dr. L. J. Russell, brother of William G. and J. Oliver Russell, arrived with original Russell party from Lumpkin County, Georgia. He practiced medicine in Denver, for he was listed in the Mss. Directory of Denver among the physicians of the year following his arrival. He lived in Auraria, but in 1863, went to the newer Montana goldfields, later returning to Georgia for a visit, then going to Bell County, Texas, where he practiced medicine until much later. He died about 1908. He is said to have kept a diary during 1858, but the book seems to have been lost. He was a member of the first Town Company, and of the first Constitutional Convention during 1859, and Smiley, the historian, considers him more than any other individual the founder of Denver. He was then in Mountain City, also, where he was associated in mining with B. O. Russell, and seems also to have been tax collector in Auraria. His portrait is in Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 210. (See also under W. H. McFadden.)
“RUSSELL PARTY,” the curtain rose on the great Colorado Drama when this party unfolded their blankets at the mouth of Cherry Creek. This compiler believes that it was the grand cottonwoods, standing like century old oaks in the space between the Platte River and the Creek, that caused the Georgians, as well as many others, trappers and hunters, in the previous years, to camp on that exact spot. They are gone long ago, for nothing delights a real “settler” so much as to kill one of these monarchs. But the Green Russell party not being settlers, or anything like unto them, camped longer than they had intended to do, as did several of the parties who followed them, feeling happy and at home again, under the ancient trees, the largest ones in the country.
This was in June 1858. Eugene Parsons in The Trail, Sep 23, says that they outfitted for the plains crossing in Leavenworth May 5, leaving for Fort Riley on that date, striking Santa Fe Trail at the river in Arkansas. With Bent’s men and the Indians who joined them, the party numbered 104 souls.
They scattered to various parts of the goldfields from under the cottonwoods and probably never came all together again.
William Green Russell and his brothers, Dr. Levi Jaspar Russell and Joseph Oliver Russell, were leaders, especially the first named, as it is usually referred to as “The Green Russell Party.” It included some Cherokee Indians, also from Georgia and these and the Georgians were miners of experience. Among them we find the names of Lewis Ralston, William Anderson, Joseph McAffee, Solomon Roe, Samuel Bates, John Hampton, these having left their homes in Lumpkin County, Georgia Feb 17, 1858. In Rock Creek, Kansas, they were joined by J. H. and Dr. R. J. Pierce, relatives of the Russells. (Authorities differ as to the number in the party, some saying 70, others 170. It was a large caravan, however, and only 13 are said to have remained for any length of time in the country.) Green Russell’s second party came the following summer, and prospected the Gregory District, discovering “Russell’s Gulch” which was immediately divided into claims and soon says Hollister, about 900 men were employed, digging and sluicing, producing an average weekly yield of thirty five thousand dollars. It became necessary to convey the waters of Fall River to this place by means of a ditch, which was completed in the spring of 1860 at cost of $100,000. The canal was 12 miles in length.
RUSSELL, Thomas H., is grantee, in Auraria Dec 1859, of lot 4, block 30, in that city to Joseph Gottlieb. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
RUSSELL, William Green, left his home in Dawson County, Georgia Feb 7, 1858 for goldfields of Rocky Mountains. He, with John Russell, had travelled overland to California in 1849, returning in 1850, and made a second trip, taking with them J. O., as well as Levi J. Russell.
Later in 1852, William G. is said to have returned to Georgia rich, and he bought a large plantation in that state and settled down as a landed proprietor, while Levi, on his return with money went to Philadelphia and studied medicine. He is said to have married a woman of Cherokee descent, named Susan Willis, her grandfather, --- Daugherty, having been a half-blood Cherokee Indian. They had three sons, and the same number of daughters. His widow died 1893, the eldest son, John, was killed in Leadville by a cave in at a mine, while the youngest son was killed in the Cherokee country.
After his arrival in 1858 in Pike’s Peak region (see under the Russell Party) he was a stockholder in Auraria City, in very earliest days, mining in various places. He returned to Georgia when Civil War broke out, and became at once a Captain in the Confederate Army. He again left Georgia in 1872, and a daughter, Mrs. Martha Marshall, of Briartown, Cherokee Nation Indian Territory, gives information. He with daughter and family came again to Colorado and took up land on Huerfano Creek, sold it again in 1874, moved into Sangre de Christo Mountains, near Fort Garland. Then they all sold again, and went back to Indian Territory, where they again halted until 1877 when they moved to Briartown. Here William Green Russell died, and is buried at Briartown School House, South Canadian River, Canadian District, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory.
He was born in South Carolina 1818, but exact date of death not given. In 1875 he returned to Denver to look after his ditch interests. In 1877-78 Mrs. Russell took the family back to Georgia where she died. Then the children sold out and returned to Indian Territory. His portrait is in History Denver, J. C. Smiley, p. 181, also in Byers, History of Colorado, p. 354. Green Russell of Mountain City was, on Sep 15, 1859, member of the committee on invitation to the Grand Ball, at the opening of Apollo Hall in Denver.
RUSSELL’S GULCH, is south of Gregory Gulch, and bounded on north by Chase Gulch. Famous mining camp of 1859, producing an average of $35,000 a week in placer gold.
RUSSELLVILLE, was five miles southeast of Frankstown. Centre of mining.
RUTHERFORD, William, on Sep 24, 1859 is grantee from M. C. Fisher, two lots, numbered 13-14, in block 45, Denver. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 206, old) In 1860, Apr 24, he is again grantee of Denver lots from R. L. Wooten. He is “of County of Arapahoe.”
RYAN, ---, firm of Haywood & Ryan, Auraria and Denver, 1859.
RYAN, John C., mentioned as engaged in mining at St. Vrain’s Fork in papers of 1859.
RYAN, William, his obituary in Denver Evening Times, Feb 18 or 19, 1925, gives his death at Crescent City, Florida, Feb 17, preceding year, aged 85 years. He lived at White Plains, New York. Is said to have operated the first printing plant in Denver in early part of 1859, and was present when the Horace Greeley visit was made. He made a trip to Denver by automobile in Aug 1921 in touring car, by the old Smoky Hill Route, on which he had driven his ox team in 1859. He lived at Port Chester, New York, and had been a member of Congress, serving at same time as Lafe Pence. He was a banker in his residence city in New York, and was survived by a daughter (Elizabeth), a niece, Mary Desmond, and a nephew, Lieut. William Desmond, an air pilot in late war in Europe.
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: July 28, 2008