PACHON, J. J., (resided South Pueblo in 1890) member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, is native of Switzerland, born Apr 15, 1838, arrived 1859 in Colorado.
PAGE, Harrison E., arrived 1859, born Maine 1835. (Hall) Probably member Colorado Pioneers’ Society.
PAIGE, Crosswell, (or Crosswell Paige?) of Ohio, arrived with Capt. G. W. Henderson’s train May 16, 1859. (RMN, files)
PAIN, William Jefferson, lately arrived from Washington, D. C., colored, blacksmith, on McGaa Street, Auraria, appears in the papers of that and ensuing year 1859-60, possibly later. He buys lots, etc.
PAISEL, John, noted mountaineer of times earlier than 1859, well known by reputation to the arrivals of that year.
PALMER, John F., original stockholder Auraria Town Company 1858.
PALMER, William, arrived spring of 1859. (RMN) He was from Ohio. May 22 came with Lone Star Company by Smoky Hill Route.
PANCOAST, George, arrived with Oakes party mouth of Cherry Creek Oct 10, 1858. (This is an old Quaker name of Pennsylvania.) There came in party five men by Platte Route, the first breaking of trail.
PANDER, John, one of the original stockholders of Auraria City 1858.
PANKSTON, A. B., witness to deed to claim at Gregory Diggings, at Mountain City, Sep 29, 1859. (Gregory Records, Central)
PANTON, L., member of old Boston Company, doing business in Golden City 1859 and later. They furnished miners with all necessary outfits, clothing, foods, etc., pans, rockers, shovels, tents.
PAPA, Louis, born in Walla Walla, Washington. Married in the forties or fifties daughter of Mariano Modena (another account says step-son), but he was with his adopted parent in pioneering in Big Thompson Valley in 1858 and later. He was of French and Indian descent, had in 1811 ranche in Big Thompson, gardening, and raising cattle. His portrait is in Watrous’ History of Larimer County, p. 470, which see for details.
PAPIN, ---, had ranche claim on west of Pimm’s claim, Oct 24, 1859.
PAPPIN, W., of Arapahoe County, for consideration of $130, grants to A. P. Vasquez (spelled Vaskers), lots and house on Blake Street, northwest corner of E. Street Jul 27, 1859. (Signs with X) (Arapahoe County Land Records, see Index)
PARK, G. N., witness in Denver, Nov 9, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
PARKE, ---, in 1858 had Donation Lots, with agreement to build hewed log house. On Aug 17, 1859, J. W. Parke (may be same or some other) certificate to his rights to two select and draw lots, Denver.
PARKER, J. W., in Directory of Business for 1859 Denver and Auraria he is listed as “Bricklayer,” residence on McGaa Street.
PARKER, M. B., from Coffeeville, Kansas Territory, 14 in party, left Leavenworth Apr 21, arrived May 1859. Came by Smoky Hill Route. (RMN)
PARKER, O. F., agent acting for M. L. McCaslin in sale of Auraria lots, Sep 27, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records) In Gregory’s Diggings, one of this name adjusts mining claims. His Claim Agency is in the Parmelee Building, probably at Mountain City.
PARKER, Thomas P., witness in sale of lots by Hickory Rogers to J. G. Simms, Denver City, Nov 14, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
PARKER, Wilbur F., arrived in small party in 1858. Note: Mrs. Ed. L. Ballitin’s maiden name was Rhoda Parker, but compiler has no information further. She came very early, and it has always been understood that her father came in 1859.
PARKES, ---, of Spanish Diggings, in Jul 1859. Joined exploring party to find lost comrade -- see under Kennedy and Shank.
PARKES, J. W. & COMPANY, in Directory of Denver 1859 are in business of carrying on the City bakery and dining saloon, opposite Denver Hall. J. W. Parkes also goes into partnership with E. Karezewsky in bakery business, and Eating House in Auraria. John W. Parkes name appears, probably same.
PARKINSON, J. T., was stockholder in Auraria Town Company 1858 and in 1859 in Denver City Town Company. He was administrator of estate of Peleg T. Bassett of Denver City, the notices running in RMN for several issues, during this year. I also have a note of T. J. Parkinson, stockholder of Denver City Town Company, but this is probably same, as initials were used very much on account of scarcity of type, very few full names appearing in the oldest files. (J. T. Parkerson is another spelling.)
PARKINSON, Capt. Theodore, and his brother “Bill” mentioned by Larimer in his Reminiscences, as inhabiting Denver in 1859.
PARKINSON, William, was stockholder of Denver City Town Company in 1858. In spring of 1859 William Parkenson had six Donation Lots in Auraria City, with agreement on his part to build hewed log house.
PARKINSON, William H., deeds to G. W. Fisher lots to be drawn, etc., Denver City. He also on Jun 8 sells lots to William P. McClure, all in 1859.
PARKISON, W. H. & COMPANY, this firm appears in Denver or Auraria 1859.
“PARKINSON’S RANCHE” was near site of the present Union Depot among the trees, and running along the Platte. Miss Steck is of opinion that J. T. Parkinson owned this place, but is not sure of the date of it, but thinks it probably began its useful existence in this memorable year (1859).
PARKS, R. L., grantee, of portion of claims of Elias Browne Sep 29, 1859, Mountain City. (Gregory Record, p. 6, Central)
PARKS, R. S., (may be same above), member 1859 to make first Constitutional, later after its failure is member or delegate to convention to form Provisional Government. In both cases he is delegate from Cheyenne Pass (spelled Shiann Pass). He is also Vice President of Shiann Pass Town Company (1859?).
PARKVILLE, mining town in Georgia Gulch, not very far from Breckenridge, started in 1859 but now gone. The site is now included in Summit County.
PARMELEE, Dan S., member of the Colorado Pioneers’ Society of Gilpin County, recorded as having arrived Colorado Jul 1859. As his death is now not given in this book of Gilpin County Pioneers, I conclude he has changed his residence, and the Secretary did not know his address though he may be still living. His name appears in the old Gregory Record, p. 11, as grantee from C. A. Roberts of a building lot in Mountain City, “situated on north side of the main street, joined on the east by a house and lot now owned and occupied by Major Hadley as a bakery and joinery store, running northwest 40 feet and north 100 feet (said lot was claimed by Roberts on Aug 17, 1859), dated Mountain City Oct 1, 1859.” Parmelee later states that he is building a house. (This was probably “Parmelee’s Building,” a celebrated place of Mountain City where public meetings were held.) On Sep 26, same year, he describes himself as “of Mountain City,” Jefferson County, Kansas Territory, in a deed executed at this time noted in the Record Book, p. 24.
PARRISH, William J., was of Auraria in 1859, and on Jan 9, 1860 was a witness there to conveyance of deed to Henderson Ranche on the Platte River. (Deeds of Arapahoe County)
PARSONS, A. N., mentioned in RMN during the year 1859 as being a delegate from Bay State Precinct to the first Constitutional Convention. On Jul 19 he was Secretary of the Miners’ meeting at that place, held to pass laws and regulations to govern their work.
PARSONS, Dr. John, “of Quincy, Illinois, calls upon the RMN” dated Jul 23, 1859. The Trail, Vol. 65, No. 5, p. 2, Denver, says he arrived in 1858, and died at Brown’s Park, Utah, Jan 1881. In pioneer days he had a die for coining gold, making two and a half pieces. He lived three or four miles down the Platte until about 1878 and practiced medicine more or less. He lost his property in a ditch scheme, and removed to Utah. The name of the partner in Black & Parsons, Oct 15, 1859 was John Parsons, probably same, they were grantees of lots 9-10, block 47, Denver City.
PARSONS, William B., came to Colorado in 2nd wagon of the Lawrence party, summer of 1858. They were bringing supplies to the miners. He presided at the trial enroute of Vincent, a member of party, who was sentenced to give his horse to Atwell, and leave the country, for shooting Atwell. This was the first trial under the Lawrence Company.
PASCOE, John, (originally from near Galena, Illinois) member of mining community at Chicago Creek Bar, 1859. In the Western Mountaineer published at Golden City, his case is made to occupy six and a half columns of the issue of Jan 4, 1860. The story is too long to be told here, but he secured $250 damages.
“PATCH DIGGINGS,” a place near Gregory’s mining camp, spoken of in papers 1859.
PATRICK, W. C., arrived Jun 6, 1859 in lists of the Gilpin County Pioneers’ Association. Died a number of years ago. (Clipping in Record Book of the Society, kept by its Secretary)
PATTERSON, C. B., in 1859 was a delegate from Fountain City to the first Constitutional Convention (June). Later was Representative elect from the 6th District.
PATTERSON, E. H. N., in 1859 was a representative, or delegate from Left Hand Diggings to the first Constitutional Convention. He was pioneer of three states, Illinois, California, and Colorado. Born Winchester, Virginia Jul 27, 1823, died Denver, Apr 21, 1880, buried with Masonic honors in Georgetown. Educated Jubilee College near Peoria, Illinois. Also attended Knox College. Was an editor, the Sacramento paper known as the “Placer Times” being one, another being the Georgetown Miner.
PATTIE, James O., an arrival of 1858, mentioned in lists.
PATTON, Miles, (also spelled Paton) member of the Gilpin County Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived May 1859, and in October of that year was a partner of Kehler (firm name Kehler & Patton) with store in Mountain City, Gregory Diggings, and in November of this year was member elected from 4th District to the first Territorial Council under the Provisional Government, Jefferson Territory. He describes himself as “of Denver” in Jan 1860, but this may have been owing to the weather in the mountains. Here he deeds to N. P. Simpson 20 or more Denver lots. It seems to be a mortgage. He died in Central City Dec 30, 1894 at the residence of his brother-in-law, Samuel I. Lorah, his age 64 years. Is said to have been a placer miner in California Gulch before coming to Central City. He took up ranche below Idaho Springs where he raised horses, etc. He is buried in the Masonic Cemetery in Central, by the side of his sister, the wife of Samuel I. Lorah. He had a brother, John Paton, a native of New York State.
PATTON, HILLS & COMPANY, mining during 1859 in Russell’s Gulch with seven men. (RMN)
PAYNAISKY, Felix, was a witness to deed in Auraria City Dec 13, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber C, p. 193, old) On Jan 4, 1860 he is again witness in a similar case.
PAYNE & COMPANY, owned mine called “Hill House” in Clear Creek or in Boulder County 1859. (Gilpin County 1859, Bancroft) Probably this place was Payne’s Bar Lode? Payne’s Bar was on site of Idaho Springs, on Clear Creek.
PAYNE, John F., “bargains and sells Jul 15, 1859 to J. S. Lowry and R. A. Spooner, one house and two lots on Larimer, at Denver City, Kansas Territory, also two Draw Lots in said city, to be drawn according to the Company’s regulations, for, and in consideration of a note for $300, etc.” (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 138, old) Another sale of lots is by J. F. Payn (same?), on Larimer Street, south side street, three or four lots west on E. Street. (Note: E. Street was original name of what is now 14th Street, so these lots must have been opposite the present City Hall – 1926)
PEABODY, ---, arrives May 5, 1859, of Omaha. (RMN, List, May)
PEABODY, B. S., Sep 17, 1859 is grantee from William Clancy, consideration $100 lots in Denver City. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 71) On Oct 8 he is grantee of lot 3, block 62, Auraria City.
PEABODY, John C., partner of Hal Sayre in 1859 at Blackhawk. (The Trail, p. 10, Dec 1925)
PECHERD, S., mining at Colona 1859. Mentioned in list in RMN.
PECK, ---, mining on Cache la Poudre 1859. (RMN) The firm of Lehmer, Lawton & Peck, mining, near north fork of Clear Creek near Mountain City, summer 1859.
PECK, Dr. A. F., card in RMN announces that he has office “at the Drug Store” on Blake Street, Denver, after the announcement of his arrival in 1859. He is a graduate of a New York Medical College and is able also to extract teeth at his office. Later in the year he gives his services to a poor man needing attention. This is mentioned in the papers. Dec 2 he is grantee with E. B. Sutherland and the ranche claim acquired is the one located by Jesse Ohment, four miles northeast of Denver. In 1860 Peck’s name is with others starting the first Episcopal Church in Denver.
PECK, Charles, was Sheriff of Gregory Diggings, in 1859, the first one appointed, according to Hall. This was under what was called an old list of residents of Canon City 1859 pioneers. He seems to be one of its founders.
PECK, George, arrived in 5th wagon of the Lawrence Party, 1858. He was born Jul 2, 1836, and in 1890 lived in Las Animas.
PECK, H. M., arrived by Alfred Tucker’s Train, May 28, 1859, by Arkansas Route. He is from O’Fallon, Illinois. The name of H. T. Peck from Illinois also appears but may be same person. (RMN, files, June)
PEEBLES, Robert, arrived with Lawrence Party in 2nd wagon, May 1858. The expedition was one carrying supplies to the miners.
PEERS, Oscar L., arrived May 10, 1859, and came to Central Jun 15. An express package is advertized for him in RMN during season. He was member of Gilpin County Pioneers’ Society of 1858-9, and marked in list by Secretary as having died. In a clipping from newspaper it states that he was resident of Boulder in 1914.
PEERS, Philip E., a stockholder of both Auraria Town Company, as well as Denver Town Company in 1859, the former on date Nov 1. In September of this year he files on a farm claim, or located it, and files description the following January the northwest corner of Section 22, Township 3, So., R. 5 east of the 7th meridian. He was probably the partner in firm of Pim & Peers, auction and commission merchants, doing business on Larimer Street between B. and C. Streets. They were very prominent during 1859 and later. (See under Pim.)
PELL, William G., had ranche and garden in Boulder Valley 1859, arrived Jul 20, and in 1890 was living in Boulder. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Born in Canada Aug 10, 1822.
PEMLY, ---, fought duel with --- Sanford in Park County 1859. (The latter was a Texan.) The fight reported in papers at time.
PENDLETON, John M., born Illinois Aug 16, 1834. Arrived goldfields Apr 20 (another account states Apr 15, 1859). His residence was Denver in both of the Pioneers’ Society lists, 1890 and 1920.
PENS, S., arrived with Capt. William Valentine’s Train of six wagons 23 days out of St. Joseph, Missouri. Is from La Salle, Illinois. Arrived Apr 14, 1859, and the information is from Cherry Creek Pioneer, Vol. 1, No. 1. (One copy only of this publication in files of RMN. Colorado History Society Collection in Denver Museum)
PENTICOST, Alexander J., of Golden Gate City, member of firm of Tetlow & Company. In that place, Jul 1859. In the autumn, Nov 14, is grantee in Denver City of lots from William H. Bennet. Penticost is “of Denver” in this transaction.
PERCIVAL, Lewis, of Arapahoe County Dec 1859, as grantee of Denver lots and again Jan 7, 1860 of Auraria City lots, the last from S. W. Smith, for consideration of $80.
PERCY, James B., of County of Arapahoe, Dec 7, 1859, grantee with Joseph R. Harper, of part of lot 12, block 9, Auraria City.
PEREGRINE, John D., arrived Jun 1, 1859, born Massachusetts Apr 23, 1832. (Hall) In 1890, and later in 1920, he was a resident of Central City, and a member of the Colorado Pioneers’ Society. His advent in Blackhawk probably dates from Jul 5 of the year of his arrival, and he is said to have lived here also.
PERKINS, A. L., received Donation Lots in Denver City in 1859. Must have been a resident at that time.
PERKINS, George C., was witness to deed of Auraria lots Jun 7, 1859.
PERKINS, Washington, buys Denver lots 1859. Is “of Denver.”
PERKINS, William L., “of Denver City,” Nov 2, 1859 is grantor to Fosdick Cheever, consideration $150, Denver City lots. (Arapahoe County Land Records) He had Donation Lots from Denver Town Company Dec 4, 1858, and in the above transaction may have sold part of them. Dec 23, 1858, he is a witness to deed in Auraria City. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 230)
PERRIN, Benjamin, Nov 9, 1858, associated with P. H. Way, agrees with the St. Charles Town Company to establish a blacksmith shop upon the town site, also a dwelling house for which the Town Company agrees to donate to him or them 10 average lots. Filed for record Feb 1, 1860. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber D, p. 183, old) Later, Jul 20, 1859, Perrin is grantee to Huffer & Hatfield two lots on McGaa Street, upon which one set of logs are now laying, also the logs upon the same, and four lots to be drawn for from the general drawing, for and in consideration of the sum of $100 to me in hand paid. (Acknowledged by Perrin before notary on same date, also filed for record.)
PERRIN, Ed. S., name in list of pioneers of 1859 (Hall) as an arrival of Jul 10. Born New York Aug 20, 1824. He located in Gilpin County about 1864, and an obituary of his wife who died in Russell District Oct 9, 1890 (of pneumonia, aged 58) states that they have lived since 1864 at that camp. Her name is given as “M. S.” (Pioneer papers always abbreviated names, a habit which still survives and annoys the geneologist.) E. S. Perrin was described as aged in this clipping, and had three daughters and one son. The wife was buried at Riverside, in Denver.
PERRIN & WAY, a firm doing business in 1859 and possibly later in Denver, or Auraria. (blacksmithing)
PERSALL, Charles, arrived 1859 with Malancthon Beach. He is from Lawrence, Kansas.
PETERS, J. H., witness of deed, miner’s claim, Nevada Gulch, Sep 1, 1859. Recorded Mountain City. Another in Gregory Record, p. 10 shows him again a witness. In Denver, same year, he has transaction in lots.
PETERSON, G. W., in 1859 had Donation Lots for building, granted.
PETERSON, Henry C., first white man to locate in old Camp Collins and built first log house in 1865. He was born Apr 9, 1836 in Williamsburg, Ohio, was a millwright. Arrived Colorado 1859, went mining in Gregory Diggings, then freighted, etc. Married 1872 Mary Lyon. (Watrous’ History Larimer County p. 275) Another see below.
PETERSON, H. L. W., the following from book mentioned above, p. 169. He was a gold seeker or traveller whose grave is on the banks of the stream three miles west of Loveland, Larimer County. In 1911 the following inscription, cut in a rock, could still be seen: “To the Memory of H. L. W. Peterson, aged 24 years. Was killed by lightning Jun 13, 1854.” Nothing further is known of his history.
PETTIJOHN, D., arrived Jun 1, 1859 from Illinois with W. H. Bowker and R. Gibson. (RMN, file)
PFLEFT, ---, of firm of Givens & Pfleft, mining in Pleasant Valley 1859. Name also spelled Pleft.
PFOUTZ, William G., “of Arapahoe County” May 31, 1859, grants for $100 to D. K. Wall, his right in farm claim of 160 acres, lying east of N. Bristow claim, on Vasquez Fork of Platte River, 1-1/2 miles from City of Arapahoe. Filed for record Jun 7. (Arapahoe County Land Records,)
PHEGER, Henry, name in list of Rocky Mountain Rangers, living in 1859 at Mountain City.
PHELPS, J. H. W., “of Russell’s Gulch” is witness to deed of Nelson Rowan of same place, to land on Ralston Creek, next southwest corner of John Woodie’s land, Jan 19, 1860. (This is recorded in Golden Land Records and he is probably an arrival of 1859, or if not, must have been enroute.)
PHILLIPS, Julia A., and George Phillips of St. Louis, Missouri make deed Aug 6, 1859, and again on Sep 18, Julia A. Phillips “wife of George Phillips” buys 200 or more Denver lots of Oscar B. Totten, including share in the City of Boulder, and shares in town of Russellville, in Fountain City, and Jefferson City, for consideration of $3,000. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 196) These persons do not appear as residents of the state or Territory of Jefferson, but are listed as owners of property in that year 1859.
PICKLE, C., had lots drawn as donated by the Golden Association of 1859. The record book of this period is carried on largely by the recorder’s memory, apparently, as he has not taken the time to put in quite all his dates. But this probably is of that year.
PICKLES, Charles, his claim “begins at northeast corner of Joseph Kelley’s claim, etc.,” and was surveyed Dec 28, 1859 by P. H. Sayer. (Jefferson County Land Records, Golden)
PIEDMONT & COLORADO WAGON ROAD, began operations the above year, and is described as beginning at Platte River, nine miles above Auraria, entering mountains at Piedmont, three miles south of Platte Canon. It was owned by a company.
PIERCE, Arthur E., original member Auraria Town Company, said by one authority to have arrived 1858, by another also reliable, he is given as a pioneer of Feb 1859 (?). Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, born Michigan Nov 2, 1837. He had the earliest book and news stand, in Post Office building, and may be said to be Colorado’s first librarian, his books being circulated for a slight compensation. He is said to have had as many as 50 volumes in his library 1859. The following is from the Western Mountaineer, Sep 27, 1860: “A. E. Pierce, an old Fiftyniner, left Denver, selling out his business to Moffatt & Woolworth, and has gone to the States, and will spend winter in Northern Ohio.” He must have soon returned, for the same name appears often in Denver, for many years, very prominently engaged in business.
PIERCE, C. B., a resident of Denver or Auraria 1859. (Clipping)
PIERCE, Franklin, was President of the Union Bar Gold Mining Company, as it is stated in the RMN, when he departs “for the States.”
PIERCE, James A., (also noted as James H.) of Georgia, was of the Russell Party, and James A., and Richard J. who also came (see) were relatives of the Russells. James H. is probably the same (?) and arrived with the original party, said to have joined it in Kansas (?) They arrived Jun 24, 1858. He lived in Auraria and in Nov 1 became stockholder, or member of the Town Company, and seems to have mined in Gregory Diggings, and in Dec 1859 had about 20 Auraria City lots. In 1907 he lives in Morrison. On Jan 12, 1860, J. T. Pierce buys for $200 claim of Nelson Rowan on Ralston Creek, Jefferson County, the claim cornering with claim of John Moody. (Golden Land Records)
PIERCE, Richard J., said to have joined the Russell Party in Kansas and to be related to the Russells. He was stockholder 1858 in Auraria Town Company (Nov 1) and later R. J. Pierce & Company are mining at Spanish Dry Diggings.
PIERCE & COMPANY, mining, same year above, 1859, Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats.
PIERCE & HARRIS, firm who were stockholders in Golden City Association in above year.
PIERCE & RIGGS, of Auraria Town Company, grantee Nov 1859 lot 10, block 2, Auraria City.
PIERSON, ---, had Donation Lots, Denver and name of Mr. Pierson, bartender, of Golden appears also in paper. The RMN in one of its reminiscent moods which sometimes occurred as early as 1860 (changes were so swift as to be appalling in those early days, towns would be deserted within a few weeks sometimes, and minds grew pensive and retrospective) describing the flood, mentions the fact that on Larimer Street (then called 5th), between B. Street and Cherry, probably in creek bed, as B. Street does not exist now, was the large residence of Mr. Pierson, erected in the “fall of 1859.”
PIERSON, (spelled Pearson), Charles P., his coal and farm land claim made Dec 10, 1858, mentioned and described as adjacent claim filed on at this date by D. C. Collier, next Herman Pearson’s Claim.” (Liber C, pp. 154-155) A mention is made in paper of “Mr. Pierson’s coal mine on Coal Creek, 12 miles southeast of Denver.” (RMN) The claims of Hiram, Thomas, and C. P. Pierson, or Pearson, are described at length on pp. 155-156 of book noted above.
PIERSON, Hiram, his coal claim noted above, and his farm claim for 160 acres 12 miles southeast of Denver on Dry Creek filed for record Dec 8, 1859. (160 acres, may be same above, or another.)
PIERSON, Jeremiah, was a shareholder in Golden City Association 1859. The name of C. Pierson appears in this list.
PIERSON, William M., from New York arrived Denver 1859. (RMN)
PIKIHSON, (?) Sarah B., witness, Sep 8, 1859, Auraria land office.
PILCHER, Louis, original stockholder of Auraria 1858.
PIM, Thomas F., born about 1825, for he was said to be alive 1895 age 70 years, arrived in goldfields Jun 1859, but before this came west to St. Louis in 1843 with fur traders, and then to old Fort Larimer owned by American Fur Company. Here he was a clerk. He was in auction and commission business in Denver in 1859 as a partner, P. E. Peers being with him. Their place was on Larimer Street between B. and C. Streets.
He was through the fire of 1863 and the flood of 1864, and the following notice in the RMN I found in the files: Married, Dec 28, 1865, on St. Thomas’ Day, by S. D. Hunter, Esq., Mr. Thomas F. Pim to Miss Mary A. McCune. Pim took up a farm claim in Sep 1859, the south ½ of the southwest quarter of Section 15, Township 3, So., R. 5 East of 7th Meridian. Several other transactions are in land records. He is said to have settled in Pueblo after 1865, and then went to San Louis Valley. He and Peers owned a house and lot on southwest corner of Lawrence and B. Streets, in Denver, which they bought Aug 4, 1859 of William McGaa for 325 dollars. (Liber A, p. 59, old) Philip E. was name of his partner.
PINERIES, the, where the lumber principally came from in early times was on head waters of Kiowa and Bijou Creeks where several sawmills were at work early in 1859 making boards from which Auraria and Denver were built.
PINEY CREEK PLACERS, said to be very rich in free gold in 1859.
PINGREE, George W., an Argonaut of 1858. Resided Platteville in 1920 and member of the Colorado Pioneers’ Society.
PIPER, of Ransford & Piper, buying Denver lots 1859.
PIPER, Charles M., witness in Auraria City, Oct 12, 1859 to Minerva Piper’s deed from Dudley. (See Minerva Piper.)
PIPER, J. M., (may be same as James M.), member of Shiann Pass Town Company in 1859, and is mentioned as being at Blue River. RMN notes his leaving Denver for the East and states that he is from Nebraska Territory.
PIPER, James M., mentioned in transaction in lots in Auraria, Jun 7, 1859 and later in November is witness to deed at same place.
PIPER, M., member of Mountain City Town Company 1859.
PIPER, Minard, of Denver owns lots Aug 23, 1859. (Liber A, p. 283, old) (Could this be M. Piper above?)
PIPER, Minerva, of city of Auraria, grantee lot 8, block 65, in same city, from Judson H. Dudley, Oct 12, 1859. (Land Records, Liber A, old) (See also above under Charles M. Piper.)
PITCHER, J. G., (another spelling is J. S. Pitcher, but probably same?) had Donation Lots in Golden City recorded 1859. On Jan 2, 1860 was witness of deed between Henry C. Powers and Charles Pickle, all of Arapahoe County, recorded in Golden. Later, description of J. S. Pitcher’s farm claim of 160 acres, surveyed by P. H. Sayer, dated Dec 28, 1859, and recorded Golden. (Liber A, p. 2) This may be the one who was of firm of Dickerson & Pitcher, who had in 1860 Donation Lots recorded in Golden.
PITCHER, L. N., description of his ranche claim down on Clear Creek, cornering with James Kelley’s claim, surveyed by P. H. Sayer, dated Dec 28, 1859 (160 acres). (Old Cash Book A, Golden)
PITTMAN, Barney P., and Company, claim 640 acres with two Kimballs, and A. Kent, Nov 25, 1859. Description in Bear Creek at base of mountains.
PLATE, William, witness to deed Denver, Dec 16, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
PLATT, Abner, also William, said by Hal Sayre to have crossed plains with him, to gold diggings, in same wagon from Dubuque, Iowa in 1859.
PLATTE ROUTE from St. Joseph, Missouri, to the goldfields, was along this stream most of way and water was available. It was considered about 40 days distant from starting point, though after the stages were running it was covered in much less time.
“PLATTSMOUTH NEBRASKA COMPANY,” arrived at mouth of Cherry Creek it is said Oct 24, 1858 with 15 wagons, 56 men, and 1 woman, the last being Countess Murat. Six wagons were from Plattsmouth, and nine from Kansas and Missouri, which joined the party at Fort Kearney.
PLEASANT PARK (formerly Illion) was a town of 1859-60.
PLEASANT VALLEY, mining district, placers, organized Sep 3, 1859, was between Russell’s and Bay State Districts, lower part of Russell’s Gulch (now in Gilpin County).
PLUM CREEK, a political precinct of 1859, mentioned in RMN as sending one delegate to the first Constitutional Convention.
PLUMB, Hon. S. J., member Constitutional Convention 1875-6 from 1st District, born Lewis County, New York, 1832, emigrated Wisconsin 1856, came Colorado spring of 1859, was County Commissioner of Weld County 1872, Republican, advocated woman suffrage. Is stockgrower. (Notes from biographical sketches of members of this Constitutional Convention published in 1875 or 1876, either by RMN or Tribune – published in supplement.)
POGUE, John, washed out $500 in three days from the Brown Lode, in Russell District 1859. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 198. Quoted from Hollister)
POISEL, John, a Frenchman who had Indian wife, and whose daughter Mary married a son of the auctioneer Keith on Larimer Street. He resided Denver 1859, and Mary is mentioned in Larimer’s Reminiscences.
POLLARD, C. W. (M?), May 26, 1859 arrived Colorado, but was born New York Oct 22, 1834. Lived in Georgetown about 1890 and member Colorado Pioneers’ Society of early period.
POLLARD, Len J., living at Grand Lake in 1890, also in 1920 lists of Colorado Pioneers of which he was member. Born New York Oct 1841. Arrived Colorado Jul 9, 1859.
POLLARD, Walter, a founder of Golden City, was witness Jul 29, 1859 in that city to transfer of deed.
POLLARD, William, in 1859 was a shareholder in the Golden City Association. (This name is W. Pollard in list of shareholders in old Record Book. It is possible that it refers to Walter above?)
POLLOCK, Captain, was Marshall of the procession at the first celebration of the Fourth of July in the goldfields at Denver and Auraria. The event was noticed in the papers of the time.
POLLOCK, Dr. Irving J., visited, it is said, site of Denver 1858, near time of Russell’s Party, afterward returned in or about 1860 and became a well-known physician in Georgetown. He is mentioned in paper being present in 1859, and engaged “in political activities.” During the war of the Rebellion he was 1st Surgeon of the Colorado Cavalry, 1863.
POLLOCK, John A., the Arapahoe County Land Records show him as owner of lot 9, block 40 of Auraria Town Company Dec 28, 1859.
POLLOCK, Simon L., from Auraria Town Company, Nov 7, 1859, granted lots in Auraria City.
POLLOCK, Thomas, a very stirring pioneer. It is stated in the RMN that he arrived from New Mexico Dec 26, 1858, and Jan 10 following opened his blacksmith shop on 4th between Ferry and St. Louis Streets, Auraria. (This place would now be named as on Market (or Walnut) between 11th and 10th Streets.) He soon started a carpentering and cabinet-making business also, and during year advertizes to do undertaking for funerals, etc. He soon opened a ferryboat trade, as well as a hotel, called the Pollock House, which saw the first Presbyterian services Jun 15, 1859. This structure, quite a large one stood on corner of what is now Walnut and 11th Street. The Trustees appointed were William Clayton, R. E. Whitsitt, Daniel Moyn, and Richard Sopris. In the Ferrying trade Pollock was associated with B. Reed of Auraria. He was member of the first Constitutional Convention, delegate from Auraria Jun 1859. His trades in lots were on record and he was in above year a stockholder in Denver City Town Company. The following marriage from files of RMN, Sep 19, 1860, is also of importance: Married, in Denver, Sep 16, 1860 by Rev. Dr. Rankin, Capt. Thomas Pollock and Miss Sarah A. Chivington, all of Denver.
POLLOCK, Wier P., was of Summit County in 1866, and in that year Vice President of one of the earliest Pioneer associations to include those of 1858-9. This meeting was in Denver, Jun 22, 1866.
POLLOCK & COMPANY, had “an old coal claim” in 1859 on the south side of Rock Creek, three miles below the older Cherokee Trail.
POLLOCK’S RANCHE, was 1-1/2 miles south of Lone Tree. (RMN, May 7, 1859)
POOL, Mr., formerly of Morgan County, Illinois, living at Gregory Diggings 1859.
POOLER, Ensign, described in Gregory Record Book, p. 11, Central, as “having a house on Main Street, Mountain City Oct 1, 1859.”
POPE, George, or Georgius, from New Mexico, is grantee of lots on Jul 12, 1859. This property is on Cherry Creek. In the Directory of this year, George Pope is listed under “butchers” with shop on Blake Street. (May be same name as Pape, or Papa.)
PORTER, Rev. Mr., from Georgia, arrived 1859 according to RMN. He is Methodist.
PORTER, H. H., mentioned as being at Gregory Diggings during summer 1859.
PORTER, Thomas P., is member of old Auraria Lodge A.F. & A.M. of the City of Auraria, and with others petitions in 1859 the Grand Lodge of Kansas.
PORTER, William. RMN advertizes an express package for him 1859.
POST, C. C., born Washtenaw County, Michigan Nov 29, 1832. Died Denver. Arrived goldfields 1859, going first to Golden Gate City, from which he was a delegate in August of same year to the convention to form the Provisional Government. He also lived in Missouri Gulch in this year, where he was miner and also attorney, and in December was candidate for City Clerk of Denver. He was later in the first Legislature, representing the 13th District. He then lived for a while in Mountain City, and then in Central, and was District Attorney for 2nd Judicial District. Moved to Georgetown Jul 1872, and about 1902 was Attorney General of Colorado. Arrived in 1859 by Arkansas Route. He married in Decature, Illinois, May 18, 1856 Miss Angelica Cauffman. His children were Charles, Ada, Maud, Hattie and perhaps others. Mrs. Post was sister of Mrs. Edmund R. Connelly, and Ada and Lola Connelly were her nieces. Mr. Connelly was also a lawyer for many years before coming to Denver.
POWERS & SACKETT, mining, summer of 1859, Russell’s Gulch.
POWLES, Mr. D. D., visits mines, same time as Greeley Party 1859.
PRATT, Charles H., arrived Oct 1859. Deceased. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society.
PRECINCTS (Political) of 1859, and number of delegates to which each is entitled. (RMN, files, June):
|Arapahoe||6 Delegates (Arapahoe City near Golden)|
|Bay State||2 Delegates|
|Beaver Creek||1 Delegate|
|Colorado Springs||1 Delegate|
|Cheyenne Pass||1 Delegate (usually spelled Shiann)|
|Fountain City||No Rec.|
|Golden City||12 Delegates|
|Gregory Diggings||15 Delegates|
|Illinois Central||4 Delegates|
|Golden Gate City||6 Delegates|
|Left Hand||1 Delegate|
|Middle Fork Clear Creek||1 Delegate|
|Missouri Gulch||1 Delegate|
|Mountain City||11 Delegates|
|Plum Creek||1 Delegate|
|Lupton (Fort)||1 Delegate|
|Russell’s Gulch||6 Delegates|
|Spanish Bar||8 Delegates|
|Sanders’ Ranche||1 Delegate|
The population changed so suddenly and frequently in the gold camps that the above list of delegates must have been changed in numbers for each convention. This list seems to have been considered correct for the month of June. The alphabet seems to stop at the letter T, but the arrangement was not alphabetical in the RMN (see file).
PRENTISS, William, name in list of occupants of 1st wagon of Lawrence Party May 1858, on their expedition from Kansas to convey supplies to the camps and goldfields.
PRESYTERIAN CHURCH, for founding of see under Pollock House.
PRESCOTT, E., arrived Apr 14, 1859 via the six wagon train of Capt. William Valentine of La Salle, Illinois, 23 days from St. Joseph. (Cherry Creek Pioneer, Vol. 1, No. 1, Apr 23, 1859)
PRESTON, O., files claim for mining purposes in Gregory Diggings, described as near Hubbell’s claim, Oct 3, 1859, Mountain City “for want of water cannot work,” etc. (Gregory Record, 1859)
PRESTON, W. E., is witness of signing a deed, Denver, Jul 25, 1859.
PRESTON, W. G. (Same?), was member first Constitutional Convention and also had Donation Lots in 1859, with agreement to build hewed log house, as lots were usually donated so. This was in Denver. He is a delegate from Douglas City at time of his candidacy for member of the Convention (Jun 11, 1859) but seems to have moved for he appears again as candidate to represent City of Golden Gate in a later body. He seems an earlier arrival than this for there is a contract to build log house on Dec 6, 1858. He is Secretary and member of the Golden Gate Town Company in deed executed Jan 16, 1860. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 7), and styles himself as “of Arapahoe County, Territory of Jefferson,” in deed executed early in 1860, conveying lots 10-11, block 22, Golden City to Abraham Jacobs, also of Arapahoe County.
PRICE, James, advertizes taking up a yoke of lost steers Dec 7, 1859, Golden paper, and owner is notified to take them.
PRICE & HARRIS, (may be same), merchants and outfitters, Golden, same year, advertizes to take gold dust at highest rates.
PRICHON (Pochon?), Joseph, of Arapahoe County, is grantor to Joshua Monti, lot 21, block 48, Denver, deed dated Jan 15, 1860, consideration $150. (Probably an arrival of 1859.)
PRIDEY, H., had shop on McGaa Street, Denver, and in Directory of 1859 is styled as “bricklayer.” (Some very beautiful brickwork survives that was laid up in 1859.)
PRITCHARD, D. A., of New Lisbon, Ohio, arrived with two others C & O. Mans, on May 21, 1859.
PROSSER, T. T., owner of stamp mill in Gregory Diggings and in Prosser Gulch, so called 1859. Prosser, Conklin & Company mined this year in Russell’s and the quartz mill was situated at Mountain City.
PROVISIONAL GOVERNMENT OF JEFFERSON TERRITORY 1859, was agitated early in summer, and the list of political precincts (see) and publication of the names of various candidates came out in the papers at once, though there was a considerable number of pioneers who considered that as the country was under Kansas government, and a county of that State, it was well enough to go on without change, and especially did H. P. A. Smith make himself active in opposition to the plan. Meetings were held in a large room above a saloon, called Apollo Hall, and here is where the first Constitutional Convention met, and framed an excellent document for government of the county and territory, but it was rejected at the polls. Later, in October, another effort was made and a second Convention met on the 29th. This had been called Sep 29 or earlier (RMN, 4th page) and they made the following nominations:
|R. W. Steele||for Governor|
|L. W. Bliss||for Secretary of State|
|George W. Cook||for Treasurer|
|R. J. Frazier||for Attorney General|
|A. J. Allen||for Chief Justice|
|J. N. Odell||for Associate Justice|
|E. Fitzgerald||for Associate Justice|
|C. B. Totten||for Clerk of Supreme Court|
|J. L. Herrick||for Marshall|
|H. H. McAffee||for State Superintendent Public Instruction|
|C. R. Bissell||for Auditor|
Files of the RMN during month of December were noting the proceedings of the bodies, the Legislature, and bills passed, as well as new laws made. The 2nd Legislature of the Provisional Government met in Feb 1860. The Constitution was published this year in the paper.
PROVOST, J., was in Jun 11 elected a delegate from Douglas City to the first Constitutional Convention. This may be same as John Provost (also spelled Prevost?) also J. P. Provost and his party of Canadian trappers and mountaineers came to the Big Thompson country in 1858: Born in Montreal, Canada, in the spring of this year he came from Fort Laramie to the Cache la Poudre Valley with a band of fur traders. He remained, locating a home at La Porte, Laramie County, being the first white settler here. Watrous’ History of Laramie County says Prevost married an Indian wife and had several children, kept a ranche, also a hotel and eating house for travellers, and died Jan 4, 1904 in La Porte, Colorado. He was born Jul 4, 1823. pp. 171-321.
PRYOR, Joseph, an express package is advertized for him during summer 1859.
PUEBLO, town, the modern one, was built on site of an older Mexican town abandoned long before that time. It was started in 1859-60 and for a long time had many Mexican settlers.
PULLMAN, Alexander J., on Apr 5, 1859 makes contract to buy 28 small sized hewed pine logs, by the 22nd day of that month, and to have built for him by A. C. Smith, a hewed log house not less than 16 feet square. Another trade in the Arapahoe County Land Records shows him to be grantor of Denver lots in Dec 1859. The following marriage is from files of RMN, Aug (Sep) 12, 1860: Married, Alexander J. Pullman and Miss Frances M. Cook, both formerly of Leavenworth, Kansas, at Nevada City, Gregory Mines, Aug 7, 1860 by Rev. G. W. Fisher.
PULMER (PULVER?), J. S., member of a jury to try a case at Chicago Creek Bar, Jan 1860. (Very likely an arrival of 1859.)
PUPELL, ---, his lots on Blake Street, mentioned in deed between Clement F. Amoureaux and Joseph McCubbin, Jun 4, 1859, lots, Denver City near E. Street (11th). (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, old)
PURDEE & FOWLER, mention in RMN during summer, as mining.
PURDY, Mr., arrived from Iowa Point, Kansas Territory, in May, by Platte Route.
PURKINS, William L., grantee Jun 7, 1859, Denver lots. Witness Amos Steck. (Afterward known as Judge Steck.)
PUTNAM, ---, in spring of above year had Donation Lots from Auraria Town Company, given with intention on part of grantee to build a hewed log house.
PUTNAM, George W., on Apr 5, is entitled to two Select Lots (of his own selection), and two odd Draw Lots (to be drawn) in Denver on McGaa Street between C. and D. Streets, and on south side of McGaa Street. (This would be in bed of Cherry Creek now.) Dated Dec 24, same year, 1859. G. W. Putnam’s name appears as a founding member of Auraria Lodge No. 1, in same year, his previous membership stated to have been in Acacia Lodge No. 67, La Salle, Illinois.
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: July 28, 2008