A CHAPELL, John, of Denver, on Oct 6, 1859 sells Denver lots. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A)
LACHLIN, Dr., witness of assignment of property, Denver Apr 5, 1859.
LACHLIN, George, notice in attachment filed in Denver ’59.
LACY, Richard, witness Jan 11, 1860, probably arrived 1859.
LAJEUNESSE, Michael, of Arapahoe County, his farm claim filed Dec 27, 1859, “on bank of Clear Creek, northwest corner of Merrivall’s claim, etc.” He sells this to Fisher and Rogers, Feb 1860. (Lliber D, p. 308, old)
LAJEUNESSE, Noel, original stockholder of Auraria, 1858.
LAMBER, J. E., is in list of members of Auraria Lodge U.D. of 1861. This may be the same person as John B, above?
LAMBER, John B., Dec 1, 1859 was grantee from J. H. Gerrish farm claim on Clear Creek near James Baker’s claim, 160 acres.
LAMBERT, Robert L., was freighter and storehouse owner of Arkansas Valley, 1859. (Colorado)
L’AMOUREAUX, Clement, May 4, 1859, Denver, Power of Attorney granted to him by Louis Gerow, to sell, receive, etc. for him, filed ’60. Later, Jun 8, Clement L’Amoureaux is joint owner of lots “on Larimer Street where the plank house has been erected.” (Arapahoe County Land Records) Clement L’Amoureaux is again grantor Jun 4 to Joseph McCubbin of lot, being at corner of “what is called Pupell’s lots on Blake Street, south side, and 125 ft. southwest corner Blake and E. Streets. L’Amoureaux styles himself in one of these papers as “of Denver City, Kansas Territory.”
LANATTEE (Lavattee?), H., arrived spring of 1859. (RMN)
LANCASTER, Mr., of Denver, grantee, City lots Oct 12, 1859.
LANCE, Alfred, of Ohio, arrived May 16, 1859 in company or party of Capt. Sylvanus Doll. (RMN)
LANCE, J., arrived May 24, 1859 with the Leo Express Company of Leo, Indiana by Smoky Hill Route. 43 days enroute (out of Leavenworth).
LANGLEY, B. F., miner, four years in California, was one of the discoverers in 1858 of Deadwood Diggings. Was a settler in 1859 at Jefferson Diggings. Also lived and mined in Boulder. Lived at Jefferson Trading Post which was near Long’s Peak. Also had land claim on South Fork of St. Vrain Creek. (See RMN, Apr 23, 1859.)
LAPORTE, a trading post, existing since 1847, and in 1859 was visited by Jackson while prospecting on the Cache la Poudre. French Canadian trappers are said to have established it, in a part of the country now included in Larimer County.
LARIMER PARTY, this celebrated company arrived mouth of Cherry Creek Nov 16, 1858 by Santa Fe Trail, having left Leavenworth Oct 1. Member of the party were: Gen. William Larimer, Jr. and William H. H. Larimer (youngest of the party), R. E. Whitsitt (said to have been born in Ireland), M. M. Jewett of Massachusetts, Folsom Dorsett, a Kansas pioneer born in Indiana (and nephew of C. A. Lawrence), and C. A. Lawrence. (Another authority says that E. W. Wynkoop was of this company ?) They immediately began organizing Town Company called Denver City.
LARIMER, General William, one of the founders of Denver, was a native of Pennsylvania, at one time having been a candidate for Governor of that State. Was banker and railroad builder. He came to Colorado in 1858, and was a rival of Gilpin in having the Governor’s office in Colorado when it was established as a Territory in 1861. His residence in Pennsylvania was in Pittsburg, but he was known as well throughout Pennsylvania. Frank Hall gives a very fine notice of him in his Colorado History, Vol. II, p. 241. His portrait is on p. 1 (with wife) of Reminiscences of General William Larimer edited by William Larimer Mellon of Philadelphia 1918. (Also on p. 85 of same book is a portrait taken in 1852.) Another portrait is on p. 139 of this book, one taken several years after the others. He died at his residence in Deleware Township, Kansas May 16, 1875, aged about 68 years. While in Denver he is said to have lived at corner of 15th and Larimer Streets. In the war of the Rebellion he was Colonel of the Third Colorado Regiment. In 1864 he left Colorado and raised a Regiment of Kansas volunteers, and commanded this regiment. It is said that General Larimer’s claim was next to that of his son, and is the present site of the State Capitol. This claim was ‘Jumped’ during the General’s absence. He had two lots in Denver (place not specified), which were held by the family until 1906 when they were sold for benefit of his daughter, Annie, by his son-in-law Mr. Mellon for $100,000.
LARIMER, William Jr., was treasurer of the Denver City Town Company Nov 22, 1858 (Smiley) and lived in Auraria in Jun 1859 when he was a delegate from that city to the first Constitutional Convention. (Another authority says he was a delegate from City of Denver ?) He is said to have had a claim near Denver with mound, call “Pilot Knob,” now known as “Grasshopper Hill.” It was jumped while he was in Leavenworth in 1859 or 1860. His portrait is in Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 213, and in Larimer Reminscences, p. 221.
LARIMER, William H. H., (William Henry Harrison ?), arrived with Larimer party 1858, and was a stockholder of Denver. In 1890 is resident of Kansas City, Missouri also in 1918. His notes of their trip make the book of reminiscences of General William Larimer. His portrait is published in Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 221, and in Larimer Reminscences, p. 184.
LA RIVIERE, Philip, early settler Cache La Poudre Valley, arrived Dec 1859 from Fort Laramie, freighter, born 1840 Canada, came to goldfields 1858. Married Mary Harris, and died 1886. (Watrous’ History Larimer County, p. 492)
LA ROQUE, Alphonse, a French trader who was in 1858 at mouth of Cherry Creek and later married the widow of William McGaa (she was an Indian).
LASES (?), A., witness in Denver City Jun 1859 land deed from Alfred Jones to Martin C. Fisher. (Arapahoe County Land Records,’59)
LATTA, J. C., certifies that he is entitled to two Draw Lots on southwest corner of D. and McGaa Streets, Denver dated Jul 30, 1859. Later Sep 23, James C. Latta is grantor of lots to B. D. Williams of Kentucky. In Nov, same year, he is witness in Auraria and Dec 3 had three or four lots donated by Denver Town Company. This may, or may not be same man as James Latta, who was one of the witnesses in murder of the German, John Gantz. He is heavily ironed and guarded and is on way to Leavenworth to appear at the trial of Gordon, carefully watched by U. S. Marshall W. H. Middaugh. (RMN, Sep 12) Later on Dec 8, 1862, James Latta married Miss Sarah Gordon, at residence of Thomas McGavran, Justice of the Peace. (RMN, Dec 11, 1862)
LAUGHTON, ---, firm of Lehmer, Laughton & Company, mining, North Park & Clear Creek, 1859.
LAVEATTEE, H., (see also above, H. Lanattee), arrived with E. Doty’s Lightning Express May 22, 1859, in Wagon 1. (10 wagons in train.)
LAW, Jacob, arrived in D. D. Taylor’s Company, 30 days from St. Joseph, Missouri May 17, 1859. (RMN)
LAW & ORDER LEAGUE, a vigilance league, which preceded the Provisional Government in early part of 1859. It held a Court, and tried offenders by a jury. Its decisions were obeyed and were considered just and equitable. Offenders were not often hanged but were taken to the edge of town and told to disappear, which they invariably tried to do in a rapid manner.
LA WATTS, (Left Hand), a celebrated War Chief called upon the RMN, May 14, 1859, accompanied by “Little Raven,” another very well known Indian.
LAWIN, W. H., witness of signature of last will of Hickory Rogers, Denver, Nov 3, 1859.
LAWRENCE, Charles A., (after whom the street in Denver is named) came with the Larimer Party in 1858. He became a stockholder and director of the Denver City Town Company and in 1859 owned a number of buildings where the Pioneer Block now stands, 15th and Larimer.
He was a candidate for City Recorder in this year, and on Feb 19, 1860 was engaged with a few others in founding the Protestant Episcopal Church in Denver.
LAWRENCE, D. T., grantor, mining claims, in Gregory District. (Description, Gregory Record, p. 42)
LAWRENCE PARTY, the first expedition of this was composed of 44 persons, and 11 wagons rolled out of Lawrence, Kansas May 22, 1858 over the Santa Fe Trail with provisions for six months. Their Fourth of July celebration was at Pike’s Peak, and Sep 4 arrived Cherry Creek. (The Trail, May, 1922) They were 10 days behind the Russell Party.
LAWRENCE, William Jr., name in Directory Denver 1859 in list of real estate dealers, and one of name is witness Oct 1 in Gregory Diggings to papers in sale of claims. (Gregory Record, 1859)
LAYCOCK, ROBINSON & COMPANY, mining, in Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats, 1859. (in list published in RMN, summer)
LAYTON, Thomas, one of the first arrivals in Boulder Valley 1858. Arrived there Oct 17.
LEADBEATER (LEDBEATER), Elizabeth, grantee, lot 12, block 38, Auraria, Dec 22, 1859, from E. N. Tuttle. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
LEADBEATER, Violet, from Auraria Town Company, Dec 22, 1859, lot 5, block 240, consideration $1. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
LEAKE, John, Aug 23, 1859 has lots assigned to him. Later, Jan 6, 1860, he grants Denver lots to David Connolly. (Nos. 19-20, block 75)
LEARNED, John, mortgages or trades land for flour “to be delivered every month, up to Oct 1860,” the land being a farm claim. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber C, p. 170, old) He was “of Auraria” and in December is grantee of farm claim “near Allen’s claim and Bernard’s.” Again he seems to be grantee, from A. O. Holcomb, Dec 12 in same year, farm claim of 160 acres, situated on Clear Creek.
LEAVENWORTH PARTY, or COMPANY, with Gen. William Larimer and others, left city of that name in Kansas, Oct 3, 1858, by the Arkansas Route. They arrived mouth of Cherry Creek Nov 16, stopping at Montana and built in that town the row of houses called the “Kansas Row” or “Leavenworth Row” of cabins. They united with the Lecompton men in establishing a rival to Auraria, later called Denver. They included with others E. P. Stout, P. T. Bassett, William Clancy, the two traders Smith and McGaa, met in the latter pioneer’s cabin in Auraria, and agreed to “jump” the townsite of St. Charles City, which Nichols, later agreed to let them have for some stock in the new town.
LEAVENWORTH & PIKE’S PEAK EXPRESS, the first two coaches of this company arrived Denver May 7, 1859, 19 days on way from Missouri River. Beverly D. Williams was Superintendent, stations were each 25 miles after passing Junction City, Kansas, the road was 687 miles long, ran for 150 miles along the Republican River (where wood was scarce), and the company had at first 52 coaches, one leaving each end daily except Sunday. The trip was expected to consume 10 or 12 days.
LEAVITT, George, of Arapahoe County, Nov 1, 1859, grantor, lot in Auraria to Lachlan. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
LECHNER, George W., born Pennsylvania Aug 28, 1832, arrived Denver Jul 15, 1859, is member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, living Denver 1890.
LECOMPTON PARTY, another Kansas company, consisting in part of W. Brindell, H. S. Walsh, George Baker, John Shannon, Eli Moore, Jr., etc. arrived 1858.
LEE, --- brothers, arrived Denver 1859 from Rock Island, Illinois. (RMN_
LEE, A., arrived Mar 3, 1859, member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, lived Central City. Born England Apr 15, 1835.
LEE, Dr., mining in mountains, visits Jackson Diggings during ’59. (Visitor to RMN from Jackson Diggings.)
LEE, Dr. J. W., of Auraria, his office in that city being in 1859 at store of A. P. Vasquez & Company. Is mentioned in RMN as returning to Denver with train carrying freight for Vasquez & Boon, in November, same year, and in Jan 1860 the Western Mountaineer acknowledges a present from him of a fine turkey, given about Christmas before this date.
LEE, James, original stockholder of City of Auraria, 1858.
LEE, James E., first foreman, Job Office, RMN, 1859. (His portrait published in issue of Dec 5, 1899, p. 9.)
LEE, Jeremiah, member Gilpin County Pioneers’ Society (marked “died”), from list in their Record Book of members. Arrived Jun 20, 1859. Was associated with P. Lewis as grantee of Denver lots, or lot 3, block 47, dated Aug 9, 1859. Consideration $300. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old)
LEE, Orville A., “of Denver City, Kansas Territory,” grantor, Morton C. Fisher grantee, ground with building thereon, east side Larimer, middle of block between B. and C. Streets, dated May 17, 1859. He has a suit or is plaintiff in one, Auraria being the place, in same year, and it is stated in one place that he kept a bakery in this year in Denver City. (RMN) He seems to have owned lot 1, block 40 in Auraria also, according to record and Sep 10, same year, files farm or ranche claim on Platte River three and a half miles west of Auraria. In October he is grantor of City of Denver lots.
LEE, William, arrived Sep 9, 1859. Born England Jan 30, 1837. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Was a grower of apples since 1870, and is living in Edgewater 1899. Hon. William E. Lee, member Constitutional Convention of 1876 may be same pioneer, as his birth is given as of date 1837 in England (?). He is delegate from 8th District, stone cutter and farmer in this year of 1876, said to have emigrated from London in 1845, lived and been educated in Iowa City, Iowa, and arrived Colorado 1859. His parents were Scotch, though his birth was in London.
LEEPER, J. W., “one of our successful miners of 1859, who operated last year at Empire, has arrived from the States.” (Tri-Weekly Mining Register, May 2, 1863, Central)
LEFAIRE, Frederic, is subject of a conveyance by Woodward and Waggoner, Oct 20, 1859. (Is associated with Daniel Rose.) He is “of Denver.”
LE FEVRE, Belfried, “son of George E. Lefevre, for a consideration of love, and affection, (also $1 paid by him),” the following property, Denver, lot 26, block 39, dated Jan 5, 1860. Grantor, Samuel W. Beall. (Note: is this young child of LeFevre named for Beall?) On same date or day previous to this, George E. Lefevre is grantee from Samuel W. Beall of Arapahoe County, of all the Denver and Auraria property of Beall. Both are “of Arapahoe County” in transaction. (See below.)
LE FEVRE, George, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, mentioned in RMN as having arrived Denver, in advance of his large quartz mill. Later the firm of Coleman & LeFevre is spoken of as situated at Eureka District with quartz mill in operation. (Note: Gov. Beal was from Wisconsin.)
LEFT HAND DIGGINGS, on Left Hand Creek, a tributary of Boulder Creek as in 1859 not only a good gold camp, placers being here, but was in June a political precinct with one delegate to first Constitutional Convention.
LEHMER, LAUGHTON & PECK, mining, in north fork Clear Creek near Mountain City, summer of ’59. In 1863 there is a Charles Lehman who died Jan 30, and whose administrative papers are advertized in Tri-Weekly Mountain Register, Feb 2, of same year by John W. Ratliff, his administrator. He died in Nevada City, aged 30 years. Was not rich, the assets being shoemakers’ tools, etc., to be sold to defray expenses. As names are so often misspelled in records when copying (and many of our records have been copied several times), these two similar names are placed in one notice for attention. (?)
LEHOW, Oscar E., (misspelled sometimes Leighow?), was an arrival of ’58 said to be a native of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, and became an original stockholder of City of Auraria. In his cabin, a double one, shared in 1859 with A. Sagendorf, one of the first, some say the very first meeting of Masons were held. He was a prominent mining and cattleman of the State during his lifetime. Even as early as ’58 he discovered bar placer claims which he sold for $4,000, receiving pay in lots, cattle ranche houses, etc. He is said to have also a cleverness at the carpenters’ trade, which in those days was valuable. In 1859 Lehow’s Ranche in the Platte Canon was well and favorably esteemed. He had a brother, C. L. Lehow, who arrived the following year (1859) and they started their large San Luis Valley cattle ranche where one thousand head of cattle were always kept. He did some mining in Silver Cliff, and lived in Denver at times, and married Miss Eloise Sargent, who had been a teacher in Wolfe Hall during the lifetime of Bishop Randall. He died 1894, but she is still living in California. His portrait is published in RMN, p. 9, Dec 5, 1899.
LEMEN (Lemon), B. F., first appears in papers when an express package is advertized for him, spring of ’59. Later he appears as a miner erecting a large stone house in Russell’s Gulch. Another appearance occurs when he is named as Councilman elect from the 4th District.
LEO EXPRESS TRAIN of wagons, from Leo, Indiana, arrived mouth of Cherry Creek May 24, 1859, by Smoky Hill Route, 43 days out of Leavenworth, with seven men.
LEONARD (see also Learned), Henry, mining in Russell’s Gulch, in 1859, works five men. (RMN)
LEONARD, ---, of firm of Monreo & Leonard, mining in Pleasant Valley district 1859.
LEONARD, Samuel, had share in Shiann Pass Town Company Nov 1859. He is mentioned also in paper as mining in Denver District, same year.
LEPER (see also Leeper), Mr. J. E., on May 12, 1859 brought in to office of RMN a skin of a veritable California lion, killed by himself and a friend on Table Mountain, near Arapahoe City on Clear Creek. In records of land transfers of Jul 13, 1859, is a grant of Denver lots from Mary Jane McLauthlin to John E. Leeper of Mountain City, recorded in Arapahoe County Land Records. Later, Mr. Leper of Leper and Henderson (called also Henderson & Company), leaves for Lewis, Cass County, Iowa. This firm bought claim of Gregory in June of that year for $7,500, and “They are going to work six sluices.”
LERCHEN, Charles, (one pioneer of name is styled Jr.), the first was a cattle dealer, living in recent years at 214 South Lincoln Avenue, Denver, arrived from Davenport, Iowa 1859, and mined on the Blue River in early days, three years.
LERCHEN, Charles Jr., probably same as above, is member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, living in 1920, arrived Jun 22, 1859 and stated to be born Germany Sep 11, 1839,
LESLIE, Mrs. Frank, of New York, a daughter of George F. Packard is said to be a Fiftyniner to Colorado. (Clipping concerning matters relating to a banquet of pioneers in 1899)
LESLIE, R. H., is witness to deed between J. A. Shaffer and H. P. A. Smith (Judge Smith), Denver, Sep 6, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
L’ESPERANCE, Michael, arrived Nov 1858 and was one of the original stockholders of Auraria City in same month. In following year he is grantor of lot 10, block 10 in this City, Oct 8, and in December, same year, grants to T. M. Moraud (Morand?) out-lot No. 178 in same City. Another land transaction appears in record of Mar 1, 1860.
LESTER, J. W., an early settler of 1859 in Arkansas River Valley mentioned as having been born in Pennsylvania. He was originally a miner.
LEVITT (see Leavitt above), E. D., was in 1859 representative elect from 4th District.
LEVITT, J. W., is sick in Mountain City 1859, and spoken of as having relative J. C. Levitt of Island, Illinois.
LEVOURLEY, John F., grantee Aug 1, 1859 with Jonathan & Leavitt Lincoln, lot in McGaa Street, Denver City, from the Reithmans.
LEWIS, Catherine, has grant of lot 1, block 1, for consideration of $1 from Auraria Town Company, Dec 3, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber D, p. 197, old paging only for this.)
LEWIS, Henry, locates claim, autumn of ’59 and in Mar ’60 files record of same and states he has completed house and plowing. It is on west bank of Platte River, 160 acres and is his residence at this time. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber D, p. 32)
LEWIS, J. S., of Mountain City, in 1859, Oct 3, is witness in sale of mining claims, Gregory Diggings. (Gregory Record, p. 43)
LEWIS, Jerry, (also one called Jeremiah, must be same) is a resident of Arapahoe village 1858. He is mentioned by Jackson in his diary of this year. Is a prospector. Jeremiah Lewis is grantee of lot 7, block 7, Auraria, from Martin Keplinger, Aug 7, 1859, and later, Nov 1 is granted lot 2, block 66 in same place from Auraria Town Company. (Liber D, p. 314, old) He is candidate for City Assessor on People’s ticket Dec 14, and in Jun 1860 he and Katie C. Lewis are grantors of lot 1, block 1, Auraria (see first land transaction, above) and this time he is “of West Denver, late Auraria.”
LEWIS, Perry, (this may be Jerry Lewis?) grantee, Denver lot 3, block 47 on McGaa Street, Aug 9, 1859. Is associated with Jeremiah Lee, consideration $300 which indicates a house also.
LEWIS, William, located claim for ranching purposes Jul 20, 1859 “where I now reside” in Jefferson County on Bever Creek (or Bear Creek?) west of Emory’s claim, 160 acres. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 13)
LIBBY, ---, arrived Apr 14, 1859 with Capt. William Valentine’s party of six wagons from La Salle, Illinois, 23 days from St. Joseph. (Cherry Creek Pioneer, Vol. 1, No. 1, Apr 23)
LIBRARY OF AURARIA, the first in Rocky Mountain Region, was in 1859 started and kept for circulation by A. E. Pierce, at post office in Auraria. It had fifty volumes. In other words, he kept a bookstore in which the books were rented instead of being sold.
LICHNER (Lechner?), George W., of Como, Colorado 1881, arrived Denver Jun 17, 1859. Also with him his sister Miss Margaret A. Lichner. (or Miss Myra A. Lichner?) (Clipping)
LIGHTNER, ---, arrived in 1858 and had band of men in Colorado at Deer Creek.
LINCOLN, Elijah, witness in transfer of Auraria lots, Oct 1859.
LINCOLN, Jonathan, of Denver, grantee Sep 1, 1859, lot 5, block ? on northwest corner McGaa and E. Streets. He is again grantee lots in Denver City, Nov 12, and on same date Jonathan and Leavitt Lincoln sell lot on McGaa Street to E. K. Bickford.
LINCOLN, Leavitt, of Denver, Sep 21, 1859 grantee of lot 5, northwest corner of McGaa & E. Streets. On Nov 12 he is again grantee of lots.
LINCOLN, S. W., was a resident of Golden Gate City 1859, for was a delegate from that place to the first Constitutional Convention in June. This City or District had 8 delegates, so must have been almost as large as Golden, which had 12. In RMN of Jul 25, 1860, Samuel W. Lincoln is advertized for as missing, and it states that he had been in Denver some months ago, and was originally from Gansvoort, Saratoga County, New York.
LINDSLEY, David, of Arapahoe County, is grantor in land sale ranche on Platte River, dated Nov 1859.
LINERT (?), A. C., witness to deed Araphoe County Jan 6, 1859.
LINK, Mr., was a member first Constitutional Convention Jun 1859, and was appointed on committee to prepare a memorial relating to Territorial affairs. There was also mention of a Mr. Link who was mill superintendent of the Colorado Gold Mining Company (of New York) working in the Burroughs Lode Dec 22, 1863. (Tri-Weekly Mining Register, Central City)
LINK, L. W., and S. M., of Gregory District Oct 3, 1859 had claims recorded Mountain City. (Gregory Record, p. 49) They are both living and mining in Nevadaville also same year, and L. W. Link is mentioned as from Nevada Gulch, and as being member of convention to form the Provisional Government in October of that year. They are both prominent in miners’ association of Nevada District in 1860, and were on important committees to draw up rules and regulations for the government of the miners. In April of this year S. M. Link was recorder of the miners’ association of the district. In Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 202, it states that Sam Link was the companion of A. D. Gambell on his second prospecting trip to Gregory and vicinity, and they together organized the New Nevada Mining District in same year of 1859. Gambell claiming to have recorded the first town lot in the District. (See Gambell.)
LISTON, William, arrived Denver Oct 24, 1858, with Plattsmouth Nebraska Company.
LITTES, Benjamin, was witness to deed between Golden Gate Town Company and William G. Preston, Jan 16, 1860, so is probably an arrival of 1859, or at all events was coming in before the new year.
LITTLE, ---, brought the 3rd sawmill to Denver across the plains 1859.
LITTLE RAVEN, Chief of the Arapahoe Indians, a conference is held with him, which is reported in RMN, May 14, 1859. Provisions and other supplies are being given to his tribe (to promote a friendly situation), from the cities of Auraria and Denver.
LIVERMORE, W., arrived in D. D. Taylor’s company of wagons. He is of Iowa. They came in 30 days from St. Joseph, Missouri, May 17, 1859. (RMN)
LIVINGSTON & COMPANY, with three men, mining, Nevada Gulch, summer 1859.
LOBACH, Edwin, born Pennsylvania, of Arkansas Valley 1859, was farmer there. (Clipping)
LOCKLAND, Alexander George, of Denver City, grantor of lots Oct 26, 1859. He probably owned lots before (Arapahoe County Land Records, p. 29, old) this date, as he is grantor to J. C. Fuller & Company, lot 10, block 65, City of Auraria, on Oct 6, same year.
LOCKWOOD, Hiram, the RMN states that Mrs. Hiram Lockwood sends letter to him in care of the paper (1859 files) advertising she evidently thinks that he is in the goldfields.
LOEB, David, was a witness in Auraria Nov 1859, in sale of lots. Later in December is grantee of Denver City lots.
LOGAN, S. M., an arrival of May 30, 1859, born Ohio Nov 17, 1822. Member first Colorado Pioneers’ Association in 1866, and later in 1890 when he lived in Denver. He is mentioned in file of RMN of ’59 as a member of first Constitutional Convention in that year, a delegate from Deadwood District. These diggings having six delegates. (Major S. M. Logan)
LONDONER, Wolfe, according to Vickers, arrived 1860, but other authorities state ’59 as his entrance. Grocer, born 1840 in Germany, son of Herman and Rachel Londoner. (Vickers’ History of Denver)
LONE STAR COMPANY, wagon train, bringing 26 men, arrived by Smoky Hill Route May 22, 1859, 39 days from Fort Riley.
LONG, Daniel, arrived 1858 and had four Donation Lots in Denver City Town Company, late in this year and must have remained until 1859, for in that year, Mar 23, he is a witness to a deed from John Forbes to a lot on McGaa Street, next to Platte River, and on May 24 he is grantee of P. Way, of some more Denver lots. His name is spelled David in a later record. (Probably copied wrong.)
LONG, James & Company, his wagon train arrives from Adams County, Illinois with four men, by Arkansas Route, May 27, 1859. (RMN)
LONG, William C., was in Nov 1859 an incorporator of the Minnehaha Town and Marble Company. (Jefferson County Land Records, ’59)
LONG & BUTTERS, (of Linn County, Missouri), their wagon train arrives at mouth of Cherry Creek May 27, 1859, by Arkansas Route. (RMN)
LONG & COMPANY, mining in Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats ’59.
LONGSDORF, W. H., original stockholder of City of Auraria, 1858.
LOOMIS, C. A., arrived Aug 1859. Was born Massachusetts Apr 18, 1840, and in 1890 resided in Denver, also later in 1920. The following marriage is in RMN issue of Oct 30, 1862: “Calvin A. Loomis and Elizabeth M. Cawker, married up Cherry Creek, four miles from Denver at home of the bride’s Mother.”
LOONEY & COMPANY, mining, 1859, summer, in Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats with four men.
LORTON, Thomas, was an arrival with Capt. Yount and others at old Fort St. Vrain in 1858, and later the party visited site of the City of Boulder, then called “Red Rock.”
LOVELAND, W. A. H., long time resident of Golden City, arrived Jun 22, 1859. Born Barnstable (another writer says Chatham) Massachusetts May 31, 1826. Was member of the first of Colorado Pioneers’ Society, which assembled Jun 22, 1866 in Denver. He was a delegate from Golden to the Constitutional Convention of Jun 1859, and was a shareholder in Golden City Association in same year. He owned lot 11, block 1, in Auraria City Jun 7 of this year, granted by Ransford and Piper, who had purchased them of Thomas Golden. On Dec 28 the Western Mountaineer announces the erection of his fine two story brick building, the pride of Golden, with story above for public meetings, and place for his store below. The building still stands, its very quaint appearance adding beauty to the pretty modern architecture around it. In his childhood Loveland’s parents removed to Illinois, and when a young man he served in the Mexican War. He later took trip to California, then came to goldfields of Pike’s Peak and located in Golden. Became wealthy with mining, and other things and in a short time built wagon road up Clear Creek Canon, later being President of the Colorado Central Railroad, and being prominent in politics, as well as a “Bonanza King.” He owned the RMN in 1897 (or 1878) and was once (1878) a Democratic candidate for Governor. Loveland and Davis were partners in Golden in 1859. He owned the Fanny Barrett mine. His portrait is in Daily RMN, p. 6, Dec 5, 1899. His son Frank W. lived 1899 at 1252 Corona Street, Denver.
LOVELAND’S HALL, Golden City, was scene of the Christmas Ball on Christmas Eve, 1859. A very large company assembled from Auraria, Denver, Golden Gate City, Arapahoe City, and many other gold camps. The Hall was elaborately trimmed with evergreens, festooned most beautifully. Very fine music was furnished by McDuffee & Ackley, and William J. McKay provided the bountiful supper. Fifty couples danced and it was a grand affair, the opening of this new Hall with so elegant an entertainment. In 1860 the first Masonic meetings were held in this building on Washington’s Birthday. (It has since been called “Eldridge’s Hall.”)
LOVELL, C. P., member of firm of Tetlow & Company, Golden Gate City, Jul 1859.
LOWE, Joseph, arrived spring of 1859 from Iowa. (RMN)
LOWE, P. G., of firm of Clayton, Lowe & Company, place of business corner Larimer and F. Streets, Denver. Lowe was appointed by Gov. Steele an Inspector General.
LOWRIE (LOWRY), J. S., was an arrival of 1858 for he had four Donation Lots from Denver Town Company Dec 4 this year.
LOWRY, James, was an original stockholder of City of Auraria 1858. James S. Lowry of 1859, Reg. of Deeds, and member Shiann Pass Town Company (living in Auraria) may be same person. He witnesses deed May 2 and July 30, is entitled to two “select lots” on southwest corner C. and Arapahoe Streets, Denver City.
LOWRY & LATTA, in Apr 1859 are grantors to J. A. Gordon, of lot 8, block 1, Auraria.
LUCE, George L., witness to deed between J. H. St. Mathew, grantor, and D. McIlvoy, grantee with Thomas Sours, of property in Golden City Nov 12, 1859. The parties are all of Golden City. (Jefferson County Land Records)
LUCKY, Samuel E., arrived Jul 10, 1859 and was a member of Gilpin County Association of Pioneers. (Name from their list.)
LUDLOW, Henry, lived Boulder, 1920, and is member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. He arrived mouth Cherry Creek Jul 9, 1859. Born New York. He came in party with S., L.C., and H. L. Wellman, all very prominent men. Later in Boulder County. They came to that point in August. Another account gives him the name of Henry B. Ludlow. This account gives Huron County, Ohio as his birthplace, Jun 8, 1834. Lived in Michigan, and after arriving Colorado went to Breckenridge following his coming to Boulder. He had ranche on White Rock Creek, Boulder County, and married 1867 Miss Mary Gage from his hometown or county (Cass County) in Michigan. He is also a pioneer of Arkansas Valley in 1859.
LUGENERIS, (?) Neal, Oct 24, 1859 was a grantor of farm claim to Edw. Cobb and George M. Rand, for $500. 160 acres on Clear Creek near William Kinslers and Charles Carbana’s claims. (Arapahoe County or Jefferson County Land Records, Liber F, p. 376)
LUIS, (?), J. W., was a witness to land deed Sep 26, 1859, Mountain City. (Gregory Record)
FORT LUPTON, was a political precinct in 1859, and was represented in the Constitutional Convention by A. J. Williams. It was called “Lupton’s Fort.” Lieut. Lupton was a very early pioneer and soldier. Lupton’s Fork was in 1858 the name given to that stream now called “Bear Creek.” (Jefferson County Land Records)
LUSBY (LUISBY), R. H., in spring 1859 had Donation Lots, City of Auraria, from the Town Company. Was a witness to deed in September of same year, and again in October, and again in November.
LUSE, J., mining, member of firm of Washburn Miller & Company in Mountain City, 1859.
LUSHER, Frank, of Russell’s Gulch, mentioned in papers of 1859.
LUTTRELL, arrived Denver Oct 1858. Was member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Born District of Columbia Sep 27, 1828. Was living Denver 1920. Name appears in land records of ’59, and he was a pioneer carpenter and builder of reputation, associated in firm with Kasserman & Hemphill on south corner Lawrence and 10th Streets. (Then called 6th and Ferry Streets.) His advertizements appear in RMN this year.
LUTTS, Milton, arrived Jun 6, 1859. Born Ohio Dec 27, 1837. (Hall’s Colorado History, p. 559)
LYCEUM AND DEBATING SOCIETY, N. B. Bowers, President, Tarryall Diggings 1859.
LYNCH, William, of Gregory Diggings, grantor of claim 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 43)
LYON, J. C. M., was member of first Constitutional Convention, a delegate from Illinois Central Diggings. (This camp had four delegates.) He probably arrived some little time before Jun 1859, date of convention.
LYONS, George B., “Gentleman, of Arapahoe County” for a consideration of $75 releases to Benjamin Hieatt of same county, lot 3, block 36, Auraria Dec 14, 1859.
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: June 25, 2013