JACK, J. H., was a candidate for territorial council (under the Provisional Government, Dec 1859), and was elected.
JACKS, T. M., an arrival from Leavenworth mentioned in RMN, spring 1859.
JACKSON COUNTY, (Territory of Jefferson) mentioned in old ’59 land claim, recorded later 1862 in Boulder City. This land was situated in said County and was six miles easterly from Boulder, on Boulder Creek. (See under James L. Boutwell.)
JACKSON, DOUGLAS & COMPANY, mining, 1859 with four men, Pleasant Valley.
JACKSON, George Andrew, the famous one of the prospectors of the gold regions, is mentioned in The Western Mountaineer, Vol. 1, No. 2, p. 1, Dec 1859, Golden. He was born in Glasgow, Howard County, Missouri, July 25, 1836, and is now 24 years old (1859). He left his native town Apr 14, 1853 for California. Was five months in crossing the Plains. He had with him seven companions or fellow voyagers. He mined there until spring 1857, and then left Sacramento May 23, first going to Ft. Laramie, then coming to Cherry Creek, went on his famous prospecting tour, and later, in Dec 1859, lives in Golden, but intends starting across the Snowy Range in May next. So much for a contemporary biographer and he has had many since that day. Another says “He was the first placer miner of note, but returned to Missouri when the War broke out, and joined the Confederate army.” Here he was Captain of sharpshooters, and later became Lieut. Col. After some little time a resident of Golden, he went to California Gulch (1861), and some years after War returned to Colorado and finally settled in Ouray about 1888, built fine residence about five miles below the town, where Ridgeway now stands. His wife was Miss Belle Hendricks, formerly of Kentucky, and he had only one daughter, Nine Jackson. They went later to Bonham, Texas where Jackson and wife are both buried. He died March 13, 1897, it is said from an accident caused by careless handling of a gun. His son-in-law, Mr. Mark William Atkins, gave to Smiley much information including the history. Jackson was a cousin of Kit Carson. A diary of his prospecting trip of 1858 is given in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, pp. 519-20-21. The Transcript characterizes him thus: “He was a typical prospector, relishing discovery more than wealth, and to the end of his life this disposition caused him to follow one bow of promise after another.”
He discovered gold on Jan 7, 1859 at Jackson’s Bar. (after so called) being in vicinity of Idaho Springs of later times (opposite)-----. His camp in Denver was in the City of Auraria, near where the Rio Grande railroad crosses the Creek, on Wazee Street. This was in 1858. On May 7, 1859, the RMN mentions editorially that he has brought to their office some specimens of shot gold found at Vasquez Fork.
He was last in Denver in 1895 on occasion of the “Festival of Mountain and Plain.” At that time he visited the locality of his discovery, and pointed it out. He was a good looking man, with refined face. His portrait in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 188, also in Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 264.
JACKSON, Hamilton, Express package advertized for him in RMN file 1859.
JACKSON, Mrs. Julia, “This is to certify that Mrs. Julia Jackson is entitled to six select lots in Denver City, 1-2-3-4-5-6, in block 163, provided she builds a good comfortable dwelling house within 90 days from this date, Sep 15, 1859.” (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859)
JACKSON, R. F., this name appears in Hall’s List of Pioneers of ’59, Vol. 2, p. 558. Resided Ft. Lupton, born Indiana.
JACKSON, Richard P., (May be same as above?) in list of members of Colorado Pioneers’ Association, resided Ft. Lupton in 1907, date of list. Is an arrival of 1859. He also appears in later list compiled 1920.
JACKSON, Z., is Territorial Representative elect from the 11th District in 1859, and in another place in files of RMN are matters which he has written to the paper.
JACKSON’S BAR, was opposite present site of Idaho Springs near mouth of Chicago Creek in 1859. George A. Jackson discovered gold here, Jan 7. (See note above). This camp had three delegates to the first Constitutional Convention in Auraria Jun 1859, so must have been quite populous, although Jackson himself was at same time a delegate from Payne’s Bar. (No evidence that he participated in those matters, however.)
JACOBS, --- (of Hall & Jacobs), proprietors of the Jefferson House, 1859.
JACOBS’, new building, place of meeting in 1859 of both the Chess Club and Masonic Lodge (for picture, see frontispiece). The very dignified societies met in the second story.
JACOBS, Abraham, a pioneer of 1859 having had an excellent reputation for sense and honesty, was a native of Bavaria (Frensdorf?), born Aug 18, 1834. Lived in Auraria at first, where he was partner of Albert Buddee, and their store is still standing on what was once Ferry Street, facing west on this street, and by the corner of Walnut or Market Street. (Ferry is now 11th Street.) He had a number of transactions in lots, being grantee and also grantor, many times. He was Judge of Election in very early time after his arrival and promoted the founding of Auraria Lodge A.F. & A.M., having previously been member of Capitol Lodge No. 3, Nebraska Territory. His membership was afterward transferred to Denver Lodge No. 5, when this was organized, and he was still a member and the only one of three living in 1909, when this Lodge published its semi-Centennial booklet, in which his portrait is included. No. 5 considers itself to be a descendant of Auraria Lodge, as that Lodge was dissolved as it were into the Denver Lodge when the last was constituted, and was later known as No. 5 (four lodges in the goldfields having adopted the intervening numbers.). He became interested in Golden property in early part of his career and bought lots 10-11, block 22 in that City for consideration of $150.00, Jan 13, 1860. He is said to have arrived in United States age 9 years, and to have lived first in Louisville, Kentucky, later in Cincinnati, Ohio, then Lexington, Kentucky, after which he came west to Omaha, his last stop before Colorado.
JACOBS, John T., was of Gregory Diggings 1859, and was deceased in Gilpin County 1863 for his estate was being administrated and advertized in Tri-Weekly Mining Register by Thomas G. Jacobs.
JACOBS, Royal, associated in 1859 with Henry Grinold, L. D. Crandall, B. O. Russell, and E. B. Owen in mining in Gregory Diggings. They put on record the fact that their claims cannot be worked for want of proper machinery. Jacobs was a full partner of B. O. Russell in the Sterling Lode on Bobtail mine, Mountain City. In Gregory Records, p. 44, is another grant to him.
JACOBS, T. M., arrived by Express Route from Leavenworth, May 28, 1859 with 18 others. (List in RMN)
JAEGER, John G., is granted by Auraria Town Company, in October, also in December, Auraria lots 11, block 37, and 2, block 38. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859)
JAMES, Edwin, was miner in Russell’s Gulch 1859, also member of Breckenridge Town Company same year.
JAMES, George A., of Blackhawk, a pioneer of 1859, was born Russellville, Illinois, 1834, moved first to Kansas, later settling in Central, mining in Gilpin County, died age 65. Left one daughter, Mrs. Fred Ballard. Was member Colorado Pioneers’ Society and dates above from a clipping in back of the secretary’s Record Book.
JANESSE, Antoine, an arrival of 1858, living on Cache la Poudre River. He was appointed Presiding Judge for Steele County by Gov. Steele of the Provisional Government.
JANESSE, (Janiss, etc.) Nicholas, a brother of Antoine, above, and a very early arrival, probably at same time in 1858 (?) These two brothers accompanied George A. Jackson on his first prospecting tour to the mountains above Golden. D. C. Oakes accompanied Jackson on his trip in 1859. Antoine was a member of the Shian Pass Town Company, 1859.
JEFFERDS, ---, was a member of the convention called to formulate the Provisional Government, after adjournment of the first of constitutional conventions, 1859. He was delegate from Auraria.
JEFFERDS, Thomas J., was of Auraria, Oct 22, 1859 and was grantor of Auraria lot 12, block 3, on Fourth and Cherry Streets, Auraria. $100.00
JEFFERSON BRIDGE, seven miles below Denver, B. F. Jeffries had claim there 1859, and some shooting took place. (RMN, p. 3, Dec 14, 1859)
JEFFERSON CITY, was a mining center in 1859, but now vanished. It was near Georgia Pass, and six miles north of Tarryall. It was a political precinct and sent delegates, etc. Jefferson Diggings opened in January 1859, 55 miles northwest of Auraria, near Long’s Peak.
JEFFERSON COUNTY, Golden was its county seat in 1859, but in January following an election was held and the honor was contested, the county seat being retained by Golden who had a majority of votes, 401, but the rival city of Arapahoe Bar had 288, while Baden polled 22 votes, so it can be seen that Golden was worried about her laurels.
JEFFERSON GOLD REFINING AND ASSAYING COMPANY, organized Dec 1859.
JEFFERSON HOUSE, this hotel is to open Sep 4, 1859, Auraria. (RMN) The same name appears in Golden also. The Jefferson House there being considered very fine indeed. The one in Auraria was started by Hall and Jacobs.
JEFFERSON TERRITORY, the name finally selected for the new provisional State by the members of the convention in 1859. Other names were suggested as follows: “Montana,” by Robert W. S. Steele, also name of “Platte” while “Cibola,” the Spanish name for the Buffalo was introduced and also “Shoshone,” the favorite it was said of Governor Denver. The name of an old frontiersman was also suggested, “Bill Williams.” The issues of the RMN late in year 1859, also the Western Mountaineer, and others of the time all appear as of Jefferson Territory, Kansas, to whom they really belonged, was ignored, and the new Territory set up in defiance of law. So far as any one could see it was just as much a real Territory as any other, and all business was transacted under the name.
The Constitution of Jefferson Territory is printed in the autumn issues of the RMN, and the earlier constitution, which was not accepted, appeared in the summer before. The Western Mountaineer has a very fine editorial in April 11, 1860 predicting for it a grand and glorious future. The Territory expired in Jun 1861.
JEFFRIES, B. F., grantee of Denver lots, Nov 1859 (block 38). Later he seems to live in the Huerfano country.
JENESS, (James?), J. B., was resident Mountain City 1859.
JENKINS, Mr., miner, of Tarryall Diggings, summer of 1859. (RMN)
JENKS’ RANCHE, near Huerfano Valley 1860, probably located several years earlier. Byers party stopped here Apr 1860. (See account RMN.)
JENNINGS, Thomas, mentioned by Bancroft as having discovered mines in Gilpin County in 1859. He also mined in Boulder County and in Clear Creek.
JENNY, A. S., of Kansas City, Missouri, travelling to Denver by A. P. Vasquez & Company train, has been killed. (RMN, p. 2, Dec 11, 1859)
JESSUP, S., of Indiana, arrived May 22, 1859 in Wagon 1, of E. Doty’s lightning train of 10 wagons.
JEWETT, Marshall M., arrived in company with Richard E. Whitsitt and the Larimers, 1858, and was a stockholder in Denver City Town Company, and a description of some of his Denver lots may be found in Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 126, Mar 25, 1859, and this includes one on southwest corner of McGaa and D. Streets with house. (D. would now be located about the middle of Cherry Creek bed ?) Later, on Aug 23, he certifies that he owns 10 lots in blocks 338-272-215-148 and 331. These he transfers to John H. Snedecor. Filed for record Apr 10, 1860. He seems to be a resident of Leavenworth City, Kansas Territory, at this time, and conveys lots on Apr 7 to Carter Wilder of same place (lots 15-16, block 38, Denver).
JOHNSON & COMPANY, mining, Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats 1859.
JOHNSON & COMPANY, mining, Russell’s Gulch, 1859, four men.
JOHNSON (Johnstone), A. C., arrived May 25, 1859, was born in Scotland May 21, 1830. (Hall’s Colorado History, List of Pioneers, Vol. 2) He was a member of the Gilpin County Pioneers’ Society and from a clipping pasted in back of their record book, this date of arrival is also found. He died (date not given in book, but probably some years before 1924). From the RMN of Dec 11, 1862 (?) is the following wedding announcement: A. R. Johnson married in Omaha to Miss Lucy R. King, Jan 23, 1862, formerly of Denver. (?)
JOHNSON, Bruce F., member of Colorado Pioneers’ Society, resident of Greeley in year 1920. Arrived Denver Jun 16, 1859. Was born New York Dec 13, 1834. Lived Greeley 1890, also 1907 and later.
JOHNSON, Charles, arrived 1858, and was an original stockholder of Auraria. He was the first Senior Warden of the Auraria Lodge, (Auraria was the cradle of Masonry in the Pike’s Peak Region) in Oct 1859, when this lodge was under dispensation of Grand Lodge of Kansas Territory. (See under Masonry in Colorado.) Johnson was Judge of election during this year and was grantor of Auraria lots to Kinna & Nye, (consideration $200), on Dec 1 and in Apr 1860 signs deed for Vandala C. Johnson. In Aug 12, of same year, he demitted from Auraria Lodge, but the record does not say whither he was to go.
JOHNSON, Colorado, born Colorado City Aug 28, 1859, being first white boy born in that place. Son of Mr. & Mrs. William Johnson, late of Pennsylvania. Eight lots donated to him by Town Company of Colorado City.
JOHNSON, Col. David J., of Nevada City, died Dec 17, 1860, aged 41 years. He came in 1859 to Colorado, was a native of Georgia, where he was a partner of the celebrated George W. Prentice of Mississippi. He emigrated to Leavenworth, Kansas where he practiced law. He was unmarried. Was a man of gigantic intellect, a most polished and accomplished gentleman. His burial was with Masonic honors, Wednesday, Dec 19.
He had been Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Georgia in earlier years. His funeral services were conducted by Brother Andrew Mason, and about thirty other Masons attended. His burial was in Mountain Side near Nevada. A meeting of the Bar of Nevada passed resolutions of respect. (The above information is from the files of 1860 or early in 1861, and probably either from Tri-Weekly Mining Register or RMN.) Col. D. J. Johnson had bought a lot in Auraria, and sold same for $400 Oct 22, 1859. (Lot 12, block 3, on 4th and Cherry Streets)
JOHNSON, David J. C., this was a party known as “Tricky Bill,” character criticized much by the RMN. Probably this name was assumed by him (?) (RMN, Feb 6, 1861)
JOHNSON, Hiram A., member of B. O. Russell & Company, of Mountain City, interested in Bobtail Lode 1859. (Gregory Record) On Jan 18, 1861, he makes declaration of ownership of claim and it is recorded in above book. Henry M. Teller and David B. Emmons were the witnesses. The claim was near Boulder, and a land claim, 160 acres. He is styled as “of Central.” (This is recorded in Boulder County Land Records, Liber A, p. 36.)
JOHNSON, J. E., editor of the Council Bluffs Press, calls upon the RMN (Sep 10, 1859). He was formerly editor of the Bugle, then of the Oracle. Later, the RMN says that J. E. Johnson, printer, who has been writing for the RMN about the goldfields, leaves the Denver House for the States.
JOHNSON, Jack, a settler in Happy Canon, on Divide, 1859. (List)
JOHNSON, Hon. James M., born Blandford, Hampden County, Massachusetts, Jun 14, 1814, from old Johnson family, well known in Massachusetts. His mother a McKay, also very old in same State, originally from Scotland. His father, Capt. Jonas Johnson, was in Revolution. He lived in Blandford until early boyhood, then family emigrated Chenango County, New York. Married Eleanora Stratton, and moved to Lee County, Illinois, to farm (Dixon). In 1859 arrived Denver, located in Golden, established first hotel there, in same year, called “The Johnson House” (in tent at first), later built good building which stands in Golden as late as 1880 or 1890, possibly later (?) This was called the “Rocky Mountain House” advertized in Western Mountaineer Dec 14, 1859. He leased this property to Alford in 1880. He was Postmaster in Golden, 1864, and then Probate Judge, re-elected up to 1878. In 1861 was first Superintendent of Schools. He had five children. His 2nd son, J. M. Jr. is Sheriff, Jefferson County. (Note from History of Clear Creek County 1880)
JOHNSON, Jonas M., was a resident of Golden in 1859.
JOHNSON, M., member of firm of R. E. Crook and Company, 1859, of Mountain City. (Mentioned in Gregory Record)
JOHNSON, R. W., member of jury to try case of Chicago Creek Bar, Jan 1860. (Probably a Fiftyniner.)
JOHNSON, S. J., died Jun 10, 1859 at Gregory Diggings. S. J. Johnson, aged about 53 years, late of Huntington County, Indiana. He was buried by the Mason fraternity. (Indiana papers please copy (?)) Tri-Weekly Mountain Register or Western Mountaineer.
JOHNSON, Sanders W., received 38 votes for delegate to represent the Provisional Government of Jefferson Territory in Congress, Nov 1859.
JOHNSON, Theron W., arrived Denver Jun 10, 1859. Born Michigan Apr 9, 1852. (The following notes are from Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 459.) “Theron W. Johnson was noted for his daring exploit (with only one companion whose name Frank Hall did not remember) carrying a message to the officer in command at Fort Wallace, during the Indian Wars of 1868. Mounted on swift horses, they left Denver at night, and while in the Indian country secreted themselves by day, riding only in dark hours.” They reached Fort Wallace and gave their warning message. It was of great value, and the men were both much honored and esteemed for their bravery in so perilous an undertaking.
JOHNSON, Vandley (Vandala ?), see Charles Johnson, had grant of 13 lots from Auraria Town Company, Dec 3, 1859. There was also a transfer of lots for her by Charles Johnson in 1860. (Probably a woman?)
JOHNSON, Mr. & Mrs. William, parents of first white boy born in Colorado City, named Colorado Johnson (Aug 1859). A farm claim is filed for record in Arapahoe County Land Office Jan 4, 1860 by William Johnson (may or may not be same). This was in southwest ¼ section 14, township 3, S. R 5 E of 7, principal meridian. Located Dec 16, 1859, and recorded as before stated.
JONES, Alfred, resident of Auraria, Jun 1859 is grantor of lots on north side of Blake Street, between E. and F. Streets, each 25 x 125 ft. Also his Draw Lots, to be drawn at the donation drawing of the Denver City Town Company, these he sells for an additional $10. The first consideration was $30. (Arapahoe County Land Records ‘59)
JONES, C. H., together with William W. Jones, record land claim on south side Platte River, at base of the mountains at a stake “set by William W. and C. H. Jones, Sep 24, 1859.” (Filed Dec 7, Arapahoe County Land Records)
JONES & CARTWRIGHT, Ferry Street, Auraria, groceries, miners’ outfits, clothing, machinery for mines, corrall, facilities for moving passengers and freight. Steady advertizers in papers of 1859.
JONES & COMPANY, mining, 1859, Nevada Gulch.
JONES & COMPANY, of Chicago Creek Bar, defendant in assault case Nov 1859.
(See Western Mountaineer, pp. 1-2-4, Jan 25, 1860.)
JONES, Erastus, see description of ranche, same as Jonathon Hodgson, Golden, 1859.
JONES, G. A., arrived City of Denver from Missouri. (List of arrivals in RMN, spring May 28, 1859)
JONES & HARDESTY, mining Clear Creek, Gilpin, also Boulder Counties, 1859. Owners and discoverers of the Kentucky Mine.
JONES, John J., associated with J. L . Cartwright in firm of Jones & Cartwright, Auraria and Denver 1859. John S. Jones of Pettis County, Missouri, seems to be of same interests, as land records show.
JONES, John S., an arrival of either 1858 or 1859, for he was a member of the first Colorado Pioneers’ Society which included only those of the years mentioned. This met in 1866, and he was one of its first Vice Presidents. At this date he was resident of Clear Creek County, Boulder in 1890. Born in Kentucky 1811. On his arrival in Denver he was General Superintendent of the Pike’s Peak Express Company. Later he mined at Gregory’s, and owned over 50 lots, which are described on Liber A, pp. 256, etc. He returns to Leavenworth, the paper says, after adding to his business in Auraria and Denver City.
JONES, John Walter, was of Jones & Cartwright, it is said. Arrived 1859, but as there are three Johns under consideration in connection with this firm, it seems likely that at least one of them has been given an incorrect name. There are certainly records from the books giving the three names of John C., John S., and John W., yet they can scarcely be brothers. I am inclined to think someone has put in a wrong initial in one, at least of these cases.
JONES, Joseph C., age 25, late of New Mexico, son of a resident of Lincoln, Logan County, Illinois, is lost in the mountains. (RMN, File,’59)
JONES, Peter, locates ranche claim, 160 acres, south of John Winkelman’s claim Jun 1859. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 50)
JONES, Romulus, “of Arapahoe County,” grantor to William McCarthy, Denver lots date Nov 28, 1859.
JONES, RUSSELL & COMPANY, were operators of the line of coaches put on between Leavenworth and Denver in 1859. The Denver Tribune, Nov 11, 1870, gives description of their outfit. They had a line of 100 stages, 1000 mules, the route was organized at an expense of $300,000, and involved daily expense of $800. The through fare was $100. The journey took 10 days. This line was called The Central, Overland, California, and Pike’s Peak Express Company. At a later date, and still later was swallowed up by Hen Holladay who afterward bought, also, the Butterfield Overland Express. He, in turn, sold the Wells Fargo Express Company.
JONES, S. & COMPANY, arrived with four men from Topeka, May 16, 1859. (RMN list)
JONES, S. G. & COMPANY, mining in Gregory Diggings, 1859. They are from Eastern Kansas. Later, Jones writes the RMN of a trip up in the Blue River District. In December same year he is Vice President, Breckenridge Town Company.
JONES, Thomas J., one of original settlers of Valmont, Colorado. Born Madison County, Illinois, 1820. Lived in Jacksonville, Illinois, Platte Purchase, then Iowa, Nebraska, and Pike’s Peak 1859. Went at once to Boulder (May 14) carrying wagon loads of goods which sold immediately and went on prospecting tour to Gold Run. He later built a hotel in Gold district, taking up his Valmont ranche late in ’59. Is said to have been a typical pioneer, having always lived on the borders. (History Boulder Valley, etc. 1880)
JONES, W. W., (see also C. H. Jones) was in 1858 one of the discoverers of Gold Hill Mining District. Was of Boulder same year, and in the next following. Also an original shareholder in Golden City Association 1859.
JONES, Walter, grantee, lots in Auraria, Oct 28, 1859. (Lot 11, block 241)
JONES, Z. R., an arrival of 1859, member Colorado Pioneer’s Society, resident of Pueblo 1907, etc.
JORDAN, Abner A., witness to signature of statement of claim for land by David Gregory, filed in Denver Jun 4, 1859. Also on record in Golden, in Jefferson County Land Records.
JORDAN & COMPANY, mining, four men, Russell Gulch, summer of 1859.
JUDKINS, Charles H., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, and resident of Golden as late as 1920. Arrived 1859, and is said to have hauled the first load of coal into Golden in year of his arrival. He died May 11, 1924, age 83. Born Nashville, Tennessee 1841, and came with H. G. King by wagon train to Cherry Creek. He became a freighter, and was a friend of William Cody (Buffalo Bill). He is survived in 1924 by a brother, William Judkins of Evergreen, Colorado, and a sister, Mrs. Thomas Crippen of Denver. (The Trail, May 1924) His arrival was by a train of 10 wagons, through Kansas City, by Arkansas Route, and Fountain City (now Pueblo). He was but 17 years of age, and left Clay County, Missouri, his last home.
JUMPS, Edw., had pleasure hall and eating salon on Larimer Street in Denver, 1859. It is said in his advertizements in journals of the time that “100 persons, day boarders, can be accommodated.” He was a witness several times in land transfers, etc., and his pleasure hall, known as “Jump’s Hall,” Denver, was well known. History does not record his later career.
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: June 25, 2013