CABLE, Rufus E., of Denver City, K. T., Jul 20 1859, grantor to Sylvester Hall of Pitts County, Missouri, lot 4, on northeast corner of D. and Arapahoe Streets, Denver City, consideration $50. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
Another transfer of lots is from Cable & Rogers.
CALDWELL, J. R., from Guilford, Illinois, arrived by Smoky Hill Route with twelve others, all left Leavenworth Apr 21, and arrived Denver May 29, 1859.
CALIFORNIA GULCH, (Leadville now stands here) was sought much in end of 1859, and Wolfe Londoner said that in 1860 had 15,000 (fifteen thousand) miners all working along one street, a very curious sight.
CALVERT, George, arrived Cherry Creek May 14, 1859 from Elkhart, Indiana. 39 days from St. Louis, Missouri. (RMN)
CALVIN, G. W., was a founding member of Auraria Lodge A.F. & A. M. Oct 1859. His home Lodge was Oriental No. 69, Iowa. (Square & Compass, edited by L. N. Greenleaf, Denver, p. 31, Apr 1895)
CALVIN, J. B., was in 1859 a delegate to the first Constitutional Convention from Fountain City. (The convention met in Auraria.)
CAMERON, A., grantee from A. Jacobs, part of lot 11, block 4, Auraria, Nov 2, 1859. (D. Cameron?)
CAMPBELL, Mr. ---, a miner in South Platte Diggings. Mentioned in RMN.
CAMPBELL, Allen G. (J?), of Arapahoe County, grantor Jan 6, 1859, Denver lots; another, grantee, Dec 4, 1859 lot 29, block 60, Denver.
CAMPBELL, Frederic, party to sale (of Colorado City lot) in Arapahoe County Jun 14, 1859. On Jul 30, F. Campbell owns one select lot in Denver, 4th from southeast corner of E. & Blake, “formerly one of Madison Emery’s select lots.”
CAMPBELL, Hugh A., arrived Auraria May 20, 1859. Member Gilpin County Pioneers’ Association. Born Adams County, Pennsylvania Aug 7, 1826, removed Darke County, Ohio in 1850 to California goldfields, overland to placers of Nevada County, California. Here eight years. Returned by isthmus to Ohio (New York route), came to Central City site with Jesse Trotter. Opened miners’ supply cabin near where now Main and Lawrence Streets unite, calling it “The Central City Store.” This, Hall says is the origin of the name of Central City. Campbell discovered number of mines on Gold Hill and other places. (Quartz Hill.) He built the Atchison House, Denver. Married Miss Mattie W. Whitsitt of Centreville, Ohio. H. A. Campbell lived 1100 Grant Avenue, Denver, 1899.
CAMPBELL. J. B., name in list of arrival of 1858. (also J. M. Campbell was at Montana City 1858.) (same party?)
CAMPBELL, John, arrived May 12, 1859 with small party. (Spring list) From Wilmington, Illinois. (RMN)
CAMPBELL, John, had claim No. 26 in McLeod & Company lands in pineries near fork of Plum Creek, on Divide south of Denver Oct 1859. (Lands taken for lumbering industries.) (See under McLeod.)
CAMPBELL, Robert P., express package advertized for him in RMN of 1869 (1859), so if not arrived he must have started for the camp.
CAMPBELL, T. A., arrived Nov 1859. Born Ohio Aug 27, 1838. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Association. Lived Denver some time.
CAMPBELL, Thomas, owns Claim 10 in McLeod and Company lands, in pineries of Divide near fork of Plum Creek, Oct 1859. (See McLeod)
CANBY (CAMBY?), Robert, arrived Jun 8, 1859, name in list of members Gilpin County Pioneers’ Association.
CANON CITY, situated at gateway to the Canon of the Arkansas River, emigrants for the South Park had to pass here. A few cabins built in Oct 1859, these near the Soda Spring. A large crowd came the following year of 1860. Its townsite was “jumped” in the latter year according to Bancroft.
CANON, John, from Pennsylvania, arrived May 22, 1859 in Denver City with Lone Star Company, by Smoky Hill Route, 39 days on trip.
CANTRILL, ---, leader of a party of Indian traders who washed out gold on Ralston Creek near base of the mountains in Apr 1858.
CAPITOL HYDRAULIC COMPANY, organized Nov 30, 1859 to bring water from the Platte River six miles above Auraria by a ditch across the plains to that city, also to Denver and Highland. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859)
CARARELL, Raphael, grantee of two Denver City lots (to be drawn by William McGaa) dated Aug 17, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859)
CARBANOS, Charley (?), files record of his claim on Clear Creek near William Kenslers’ Oct 24, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 376)
CARLYSLE, William G. (or T.), had farm claim on west side of Cherry Creek, 10 miles from Denver, filed or located Sep 27, 1859. On Jan 14, 1860, he is grantor of lots to James M. Taylor. Arapahoe County Land Records.
CAROTHERS, U. S., mining in Nevada Gulch, two men, summer 1859. (RMN)
CARPENTER, Badgett and Company, seven men mining at Pleasant Valley (RMN list of files of summer 1859)
CARPENTER, Henry F., “late of St. Louis, Missouri” died at Gregory’s Point Nov 11, 1859. (Files)
CARR, Michael, “of Auraria”, grantor May 12, 1859, two lots in Denver City on north side of Arapahoe between B. and C., to Morton C. Fisher, consideration $35. Also same date for same amount of consideration, a lot on west side of St. Luis Street, Auraria City. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
CARR, Stephen H., grantor to Kinna & Nye, Auraria lot 10, block 13, Nov 9, 1859 (trust deed). Another deed follows for three yoke of oxen, lost on a wager. On Dec 26, 1859, S. H. Carr, probably same, is grantee from J. H. Gordon, some Auraria lots.
CARROLL, this name is mentioned in RMN several places. Mr. Carroll comes in town from the South Park. “And Mr. Carroll, miner from placer diggings in South Platte is in town”, etc.
CARROLL, Ran., Member of Walker & Company, operating mines at Gregory Diggings. (See this firm) 1859.
CARROLL, W. C., arrived Colorado 1859. Born Lencoway (?) County, Michigan 1840. Lived Golden, carpenter also farmer in Glencoe, afterward blacksmith in Denver. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 414)
CARROLL, William, member of Walker & Company (also called the St. Louis Tunnelling Company) operating mines at Gregory Diggings, 1859.
CARROLL, William H., arrived Jun 10, 1859, member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, lives Denver 1920.
CARRUTHERS, Robert, on Jan 18, 1860 signs delivery of the Carruthers claim (land) probably must be of 1859 emigration.
CARSON, Christopher, (known as Kit Carson), famous scout and plainsman, and celebrated hunter. Born Madison County, Kentucky Dec 24, 1809. At that time this state was a wilderness and his parents original settlers living in a log cabin home. The following account of him is from Hall’s Colorado History. His father was a celebrated hunter. In 1844 Kit revisited his birthplace but returned to New Mexico, his home being at Taos, and became Fremont’s guide to Wind River Mountains. In 1845 he settled upon a ranche on the little Cimarron, which he shared with his friend, Richard Owens. But it did not last, for he was too much in demand as a guide for many expeditions. He visited Washington, D. C. once where he was the guest of Mrs. Fremont. He tried settling again in valley of Rayado 55 miles east of Taos, but although he was with Lucien Maxwell, he was so much needed in the Indian wars of the time that this, too, was soon over.
He engaged in the wars Apaches with Col. Ceran St. Vrain of Taos, and later joined in fighting the Rebellion, was Colonel of the lst Regiment, New Mexico Volunteers under Gen. Canby. He commanded at both Fort Union and at Fort Garland. He settled with his family in Bent County 1867, but was needed to accompany a party of Indian chiefs to Washington, D.C. accompanied by A. C. Hunt, took cold, returned to Denver, was confined to bed in old Planters’ Hotel on Blake and16th Streets (on site of the present Witter Block), recovered enough to return to his home and died May 4, 1868. His wife had died a few days earlier. They were buried in the garden of Mr. C. A. Wright at Boggsville, but after exhumed and taken to Taos and re-interred. He is said to have had a Masonic funeral in Taos.
CARSON AND COMPANY, mining in Russell’s Gulch, five men, summer 1859. (RMN)
CART, Mrs. J. M., a conveyance of Real Estate was made to her by J. D. Henderson, for Amelia Henderson Oct 18, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
CARTER, Alexander, arrived May 14, 1859 with party of D. D. Stout and family nearly all from De Soto, Nebraska, via Platte Route, with B. J. Stout’s party accompanying them. (See these names for his companions on trip.) (List of arrivals, RMN, 1859)
CARTER AND DAVIS, locate claim on Clear Creek near Golden City, Jun 22, 1859.
CARTER, Eli, of Golden, was a member of first Constitutional Convention 1859. On Sep 29, 1859, he and wife Jane E., “of the county of Arapahoe and Territory of Kansas” are grantors to Henry C. Powers, lot 10, block 32, in south side of Clear Creek in Golden City, “in the county and territory aforesaid” etc. (Lliber A, Golden)
On Dec 8, he is grantor of Denver lots to E. D. Boyd, and is later appointed Clerk of District Court for Jefferson County (Arapahoe was its name under the Kansas government, Jefferson under the Provisional Government.) He advertized to issue writs. He was one of the petitioners in the following year to the Grand Lodge of Kansas for a dispensation for a Lodge in Golden City, which was granted. In autumn of 1859 he was elected Councilman from 3rd District. In and near 1860 he lived where the Golden dumping grounds are now located. He is Clerk of the Record Office in Golden 1860. The following is description and plat of his claim for ranching:
NOTE: Jane E. Carter, wife of Eli Carter located claim next his, on Feb 1, 1860 “on land lying on top of mountain where the wagon road crosses the top of the mountain.” (Liber 1, Golden)
CARTER, H. J., was a member of Golden Town Company in 1859.
CARTER, J. W., actor at Apollo Hall Denver, another mention is of Mr. Carter, actor in Thorne’s troupe playing Richard III. (Denver, 1859 theatrical performance.)
CARTER, John E., son of Eli Carter of Golden, died Apr 13, 1860, aged 18 years, 10 months, 1 day. Formerly of Richmond, Missouri (Leavenworth and St. Joseph, Missouri papers please copy.) (Western Mountaineer, Golden, Apr 18, 1860)
CARTER, John E., (another) incorporated Dec 1859, the Clear Creek Lumbering Company. (This could scarcely be the same, unless there has been a mistake in the age of the one above.)
CARTER, John E., (this must be same as above?) claim for farm 160 acres, filed for record Jan 10, 1860.
Plat of John E. Carter’s Claim
CARTWRIGHT, J. L., from Pettis County, Missouri and in 1859 was member of firm of Jones & Cartwright, grocery, furnishings for miners and corral for emigrant wagons, etc., on Ferry Street, Auraria City. This firm was an extensive advertizer in RMN in 1859.
CARTWRIGHT, Richard “Dick”, was of Arapahoe City, or Village, in 1858, and bought Denver lots in 1859.
CASE AND CHAMBERS, were mining firm in Tarryall Diggings this year.
CASE, P. W., accompanied Byers and party to Denver Apr 1859.
CASEY, P. D. “Pat”, an Irishman who came to Gregory Diggings 1859 and “claimed” the mine of Black & Hackney there, had his claim recorded, and made fortune of it. (RMN, p. 2, Aug 18, 1874) The Tri-Weekly Mining Register, Sept 1, 1862, says: “Pat Casey is now in the States, and he seems to have been very prominent in the mountains, mining, making ditch up Chase’s Gulch, had largest Quartz Mill in the Territory with 32 stamps, and while he was in the States Mr. O’Niel was representing him.” Later the same paper says that he has purchased for $7,000 the Fitzgerald Claim on American Flag Lode.
CASSIDAY AND SPILLARD, “These gentlemen leave for Cincinnati, Ohio 1859.” (RMN file)
CASTELLO, C., name in Business Directory Denver (Mss. copied by Sopris) 1859.
CASTO. D. J., of Gregory Diggings, elected delegate to first Constitutional Convention, meeting Auraria, Jun 1859. (The name of D. B. Castro also occurs (of Arapahoe County), probably same party.) Dr. Joseph Casto, (probably same as above?) was very prominent in 1859, and later for several years. He arrived in goldfields with Byers party (J. J. Riethmann and others) spring 1859. (April) He liked site of Mount Vernon, and later organized the Mount Vernon Town Company, bending unusual efforts to promote it, dating all his newspaper correspondence from his new town, even while living and being Postmaster in Mountain City. Donation Lots were offered to persons who would build, and a Wagon Road incorporated to pass the place (The Denver, Auraria and Colorado Wagon Road) and he was its President. At this time he was Recorder of the County (Jefferson), but in 1864 went back to the States (to Illinois) and did not return until 1868 to his beloved Mt. Vernon, where he lived for a few years and was a Baptist preacher (according to the “Transcript”). He was in 1859 with Gregory when they discovered the Gregory Lode.
In 1872 he left Colorado for California and it is said died 1907. In 1859, while in Mountain City, he was Secretary of the Gold Miners’ Association, and in October, same year, filed claim for a quarter of a section of land for a Trading Post for his Wagon Road. This was in Platte Valley, five miles from where said Road strikes the river. Dr. Casto was also very prominent socially in select circles of Denver and Auraria, present at all banquets of prominence, etc.
CASTO AND WADE, was an auction and commission house, Mountain City, 1859.
CASTRO, KENDALL AND COMPANY, (mining in Gregory Diggings, mentioned in RMN as from Butler County, Iowa.) This firm (also spelled Casto, Kendall & Company) earlier than this seem to be the only firm in old Arapahoe Bar which advertized its activities in the RMN.
CASWELL (Cassewell, Casselle), Thomas, files claim on Dubuque Lode, “supposed to be a continuation of the Gregory Lode,” in hill between Mountain City and the Lake Lode (or Lake), 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 9, Mountain City)
CATTERSON, Dr., member of the Town Company of the American Pueblo, 1859. It is stated that his cabin was on 2nd Street. (Bancroft)
CAVANAGH, Charles, his claim of land for ranch purposes on Clear Creek, recorded Dec 25, 1859 (in Arapahoe County). In 1860 he sells to Fisher & Rogers for $500. Cavanagh is himself of Arapahoe County. (Liber D, p. 310, old)
Another claim he grants earlier than the above, on Aug 27, 1859 to Allen and Slaughter of Arapahoe County the claim near Merrivale’s – Ranche on north side Vasquez River (probably Clear Creek.)
CAVEN, “Buzz”, one of the Cibola Minstrels playing at Apollo Theatre, Denver, 1859. Later, Jan 4th at the grand reception to the Haydee Sisters given in Golden, his Quadrille Band was very admirably exhibited, and afforded great pleasure.
CAVENDISH, H., arrived from Quincy, Illinois, and called upon the RMN Jul 23, 1859.
CEMETERIES of 1859: In Larimer’s Reminiscences, p. 150, it states that the first cemetery was staked off “On the hill along the road up Cherry Creek” and called Mount Prospect, by William Larimer, Jr., and his father. This tract contained 320 acres. Gen. Larimer was President and Clancy Secretary. The former represented the Protestants, the latter the Catholics. According to this writer, the very first interment was Edward Hay, of De Soto, Nebraska, who had died of a cold contracted while hunting in the mountains. This may be Edward Hay who came in 1858 and had Donation Lots with intention to build, whose administration notice was advertized in RMN in Aug 1859, and later property sold.
The name “AURARIA CEMETERY” was used in the Western Mountaineer of Golden City in this year, describing place where a burial had been made, but this place seems entirely forgotten by all the pioneers living, that I have seen. Larimer says that an undertaker “beat them out of” their Cemetery during their absence in the States. This is explained by the RMN Feb 23, 1866, which states that “Larimer says that J. J. Walley has “jumped” the Cemetery, and is trying to get a patent on the ground for himself. It needs fences.”
CENTRAL CITY, (in 1859 characterized as “Eureka Precinct” in political circles). Located in what later was called “Gregory Gulch” at confluence of Eureka and Spring Gulches. (Hollister says that these gulches had, in 1867, a population of 10,000, and it had a very large population in 1859 of floating and transient persons.) Central was almost destroyed by fire in 1874.
Her burial grounds were reported in her paper of Sep 14, 1863, two places having been selected, one by the Catholics and another by the Masons, on the hill west of Central towards Nevada.
The General Cemetery now in use (1863) on the hill north of Central, is not regularly set apart, but was used by chance. “This ground will soon be needed for building” and so the Tri-Weekly Mining Register suggests a new general cemetery.
Central City has always held a high place among Colorado cities, though now, 1925, almost depopulated, its good buildings boarded up and left to decay.
CEPHAN, Alfred, is joint owner of Denver City lots on Larimer Street “Where the plank house has been erected.” Jun 8, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, old)
CHADBURN, ---, this name I find among my other Fiftyniners, but with the reference lost off the slip.
CHAFFEE, Archie, in list of businessmen of Auraria and Denver in this year, from Mss. Directory. He was saloonkeeper and Restaurant proprietor on Blake Street, Denver City 1859.
CHAFFEE, James, Esq. was the orator on the occasion of celebration of the Fourth of July in Denver and Auraria 1859. The RMN gives a slight account of it.
CHAFFEE, L. E., of Arapahoe County was grantor of part of lot 5, block 11, Auraria City, Oct 28, 1859.
CHAFFEE, Orson A., deceased before Jan 27, 1860, his Administrator was William Smith, and his property was mortgaged in 1859. (Liber D, p. 55, old) He was grantee of lots in Denver Sep 19 before (Arapahoe County Land Records) (This could be the Archie Chaffee noted above.)
CHALLIS, A., from Missouri, arrived Mouth Cherry Creek May 28, 1859. (RMN )
CHAMBERS, Mr., miner of Tarryall Diggings, mentioned in RMN, files,1859.
CHAMBERS, Capt. Clark, of Colorado Territory came Colorado 1859, was one of the party who made first discoveries in South Park, is mentioned in RMN as leaving for Wisconsin, later Aug (Apr?) 3, his obituary is published, a long one which will be copied into Portrait & Biography Index of this work. He died in Chicago, Mar 5, 1863 aged 33 years. He was wounded in the War between the States, and died of his injuries.
CHAMBERS AND COMPANY, mining, Nevada Gulch, four men (RMN, files, 1859)
CHAMBERS, George W., arrived Boulder 1859, mining, ranching, member of Legislature of Jefferson Territory. Born Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania May 9, 1826. Living 1880 in Boulder City. Had been druggist l855 Jaspar County, Iowa. Mined in Gold Hill, in 1880 owns Golden Crown and White Cloud mines at Gold Hill. Married Oct 12, 1848 to Eliza J. (Jones?).
CHAMBERS, Henry, of Chambers and Company, otherwise known as the St. Louis Tunnelling Company of Gregory Diggings, claims 500 feet on northwest side of the hill down Dry Gulch, and northwest from the Lake Lode. Recorded , Gregory Record, p. 47, Oct 3, 1859. Names of members of this company are C. G. Truck, R. Maxwell, (Marshall), William Carroll, William Chambers, and Henry Chambers above.
CHAMBERS, William, member of Chambers & Company above 1859. Gregory Diggings.
CHANDLER, Isaac, of Denver City sells lots on Arapahoe Street to James Blundell, on Oct 10, 1859. Before this, a certificate was issued to him on Aug 25 for his lots in blocks 74-110-111, Denver.
CHANDLER, J. A., in the Mss. Directory of 1859 he is mentioned as carpenter partner of Edw. A. Willoughby and W. H. Maine on Arapahoe Street, Denver. In December of this year he is signed as witness of deed between Binkley and Riddlebarger, Denver. (The above is probably a brother.)
CHAPEL, R. O., from Iowa, arrived May 17, 1859 with D. D. Taylor’s wagon train with 14 men, enroute 30 days from St. Joseph, Missouri (RMN)
CHAPLIN, Albert, arrived Sep 17, 1859. Was “of Arapahoe County” in the following Jan 1860. (Land Records)
CHAPMAN, B. F., and Company, with four men, mining in Pleasant Valley, 1859 during part of summer. (RMN)
CHAPMAN, Hayman, arrived Cherry Creek Oct 20, 1858. Was an original stockholder in Auraria City in this year. May 14, 1859, he was grantor of lot 8, block 10, Auraria, also lot 12, block 65, 1860.
CHAPMAN, J. M., is grantee, lots on McGaa Street, Denver City, Dec 6, 1859. (Liber C, p. 133)
CHAPMAN, James, member Kilpatrick & Company, operating claims, Gregory Diggings, Jun 20, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 19)
CHARLES, Levi, member Colorado Pioneers’ Society in 1920. Arrived Denver 1859, lives in 1920 Angiola, California.
CHARPIOT, Fred, arrived Nov 1859. Born France, Jan 1829. (Hall’s Colorado History) His restaurant occupied site of the present Fink Block in this year. (Old clipping)
CHARTER, of United Denver, Auraria and Highland, is agitated in 1859. (RMN, p. 2, Dec 14)
CHASE AND COMPANY (two men), mining, Nevada Gulch, summer 1859.
CHASE, B. F., successful miner of Arapahoe (Bar) has article on his mining work in that place. Has just located in Gregory Diggings. (Western Mountaineer, Dec 7, 1859) B. F. Chase & Company are prominent in corporation of a scheme for water in Denver, and in the Consolidated Ditch Company, sold later to the Falls Water Company.
CHASE, Edw., lived Golden City 1859, and with Ford Brothers and Ed McClintock had big tent for their business purposes when the town was formed. (See Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. III, page 500.)
CHASE, FISK AND COMPANY, mining, Russell Gulch, 20 men. (Mentioned in Western Mountaineer Dec 7, 1859)
CHASE, G. F., accompanied in 1859 to Colorado the party including the three Wellman brothers, who settled in Boulder County.
CHASE, George P., (may be the same as one above?) miner, stockraiser, ranchman, politician, freemason. Born Lowell, Massachusetts Aug 3, 1837. Parents removed to Maine. Both natives of New Hampshire. Then 1857 Iowa, and arrived 1859 Boulder County, Colorado. Was a promoter and originator of the Central City Toll Road. Married in Maine, Augusta, daughter [of] Isaac Staples. (1864) Deacon in Congregational Church, Boulder. (History Boulder County)
CHASE, Myron, grantor, Oct 3, 1859, claim in Bobtail Lode, Gregory Diggings. (Gregory Record, p. 40)
CHASE, Dr. W. A., arrived Denver with D. D. Taylor’s company of 14 men, wagon train 30 days coming from St. Joseph, Missouri. He is from Iowa and arrived May 17, 1859. (RMN)
CHASE, W. P. (same as above?) leaves Denver for Wellington, Ohio in 1859. (Worthington, Ohio?) (RMN)
CHASE, William, had Donation Lot in 1859 from Denver Town Company. (These were given with agreement to build.) (Land Records)
CHASE’S GULCH, mining district, near Gregory’s Diggings 1859.
CHATFIELD, J. W., of Leadville in 1881, mentioned in clipping as having arrived Jun 1859.
CHAZNEY, Joseph, grantor lot 11, block 7, Auraria City, Sep 1, 1859 (by power of attorney) Is this a non-resident?
CHEATLEY, William H., arrived Denver Nov 11, 1858. (Name from list of members Gilpin County Pioneer’s Society.) Chase Withrow was last Secretary, and the society now extinct. (1924) (Record book in library Colorado Historical Society)
CHEEVER, Charles G., arrived 1859, name in land deeds of that year. Residence Denver City. Was of Salem, Massachusetts. Was Deputy County Clerk. Owned, it is said, the Arapahoe and Essex Buildings. Was brother of David A. Cheever, and with their father took trip around the world with this brother in early years.
CHEEVER, David A., born Salem, Massachusetts, Oct 24, 1824. Arrived Denver Jul 6, 1859. He went also later, in his father’s vessel to the East Indies, then entered American Navy, engaged in Mexican War, and California 1849. Later went to Wisconsin, lumber business, then after reaching Denver entered real estate business. Was County Commissioner, Member Legislature and Postmaster of Denver. (The last about 1873.)
CHENEY, E. E., was Secretary of Illinois Town Company, Jefferson County, Jefferson Territory Dec 1859. (See under Illion)
CHENEY, L., pioneer of 1859, and in 1907 resident of Denver, and member Colorado Pioneer’s Society. In their list of 1907 he is said to have arrived Apr 8, a very early Argonaut.
CHENEY, P. B. (Parker B.), a founder and once most prominent in very many ways, widely known, and popular. He owned a ranch on Little Bear Creek, in company with George W. Weed, Jefferson County located Nov 1859. In the historical column of the Colorado Transcript, Dec 11, 1924 it is stated that Cheney died in San Francisco Nov 18, 1874.
CHERRY CREEK, was a nice white bed of soft sand when the pioneers of fifty nine first saw it, and it scarcely needed a bridge until after the famous Flood of ’64. People built houses clear across it, and lots were over the bed of it, selling as well as any other Denver or Auraria lots. The streams which fed the creek start on the “Divide,” but in the early years so little rain fell that they were perfectly dry where the bed comes to the Platte.
CHERRY CREEK DITCH COMPANY, was organized in May 1859, to bring water from a point about six miles above the mouth of the stream. This was intended for gardens especially, as wells could be made easily, especially in Auraria.
CHERRY CREEK PINERIES, on the Divide above Denver existed thick and beautiful in every direction on top of the hills, which far back from Denver have an altitude of about 8,000 feet. Persons soon found that lumber could be easily made from these trees, and the sawmill naturally came early in 1859 to the Divide, and timber claims were taken up. It was worked not only into planks, but very often made into handsome mouldings and sawed out decorations for houses for the more particular sort of the people. A few of the carpenters of 1859 were quite artistic in designing these, the store of Buddee & Jacobs being especially attractive, so says the RMN. This place was built before October.
CHERRY CREEK PIONEER, The, a newspaper which had only one number which appeared Apr 23, 1859, a rival to Byers’ enterprise. It was published by John L. Merrick, and a copy exists in the possession of the State Historical Society of Colorado. Although it seems to have accomplished little with its one number, yet the effort showed ability, and if nothing else had been published, we should be grateful for the following names of Fiftyniners arriving:
“Capt. William Valentine’s train of six wagons arrived Apr 14. Time from St. Joseph, 23 days from La Salle, Illinois, W. H. Valentine."
|J. Swartout||--- Libby||L. Miley|
|E. Bowen||G. Telfer||N. Groole|
|G. Shepherd||Jas. A. Strout||P. W. Gould|
|W. H. Allen||A. Givens||E. Prescott|
|C. Shyder||S. Pens||A. Banter|
|N. Washam||S. E. Metcalf||J. Velie|
These names have been separately listed under their letters.
It seems unlikely that all these persons are from LaSalle, Illinois, most likely the Captain and a few of them are so.
CHESS CLUB, of Auraria and Denver, flourished in 1859, and is mentioned often in the RMN especially later in the season. Some of its members were: Mr. Byers who was President, F. Z. Salomon, J. H. Dudley and others. They met at the Vasquez House when it was launched, later it is advertised to assemble in rooms over the Fashion Saloon, corner 4th and Cherry (now Walnut and 12th Streets).
CHESTNUT, John G., grantee from Auraria Town Company lot 2, block 39, Auraria, Dec 16, 1859. (Probably a resident of Auraria.) J. M. Chestnut (may be same man) was partner of Dan Connoly on Blake Street in a Mss. Directory kept in this year.
CHESTNUT, Mrs. Mary, probably of Auraria, received deed from Auraria Town Company for lot 7, block 66, Auraria Dec 16, 1859.
CHICAGO CREEK BAR, or Diggings, was in a district near Idaho Springs of later days. Near confluence of the stream with Clear Creek, then called Vasquez Fork. It was first panned by Jackson and some Chicago miners who named it so, and in the first seven days they washed out nineteen hundred dollars. Jackson discovered it on Jan 7, 1859.
CHIETALY, grantee, lot 12, block 12, Auraria City, from Thomas Pollock. Consideration $100, Oct 15, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
CHILCOTT, George M., born Huntington County, Pennsylvania Jan 28, 1828. Lived in Iowa where he was Sheriff, then Nebraska, then May 1859 arrived goldfields. Was member first Constitutional Convention in this year, then went to Pueblo, where he worked on farm, later in Territorial Legislature. Several times, Registrar U. S. Land Office (1863) then his office was Golden. Finally elected to Congress (1867). He married Miss Jenny Cox (4 children) has one daughter. He died Mar 6, 1891 at St. Louis, Missouri. Buried in Pueblo.
CHILES, Henry Wilson, born Washington County, Virginia Nov 27, 1838. Parents removed to Iowa in 1842. 1857 he came Nebraska, then 1858 to goldfields; 1859 he was a factor in founding city of Boulder, helping lay it out. He returned to Iowa when war was declared and enlisted in Company C, 22nd Iowa Volunteers. Was before Vicksburg. Autumn 1866 returned to Colorado and lived in Mt. Vernon Canon or gulch, stockgrower (four miles from post office of Mt. Vernon). He married Harriet R. Hargus of Nebraska City May 15, 1866.
CHINN, Ed., of Golden, 1859, kept saloon here with Lark Taylor and Edgar Vanover. (Another account says it was a store.?)
CHRISTIAN, G. F., mentioned as having mining claim preempted in Gregory Diggings Oct 3, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 47)
CHRISTIAN LODE, in Gregory Diggings, discovered by G. F. Christian, above, date of discovery not given. 1859.
CHRISTY, William, arrived Auraria via Smoky Hill Route, by Leo Express Company, of Leo, Indiana May 24, 1859. Seven men, trip 43 days out of Leavenworth. (RMN)
CHUBBUCK, Henry B., (H. B. & Harrison B. are found also, probably same, as it is unlikely that two of same initials would occur), was a stockholder in Auraria Town Company 1858. In a Mss. Directory of this year he is given as a butcher, with address on Ferry Street, Auraria. The firm of Chubbuck & Smith have a meat market on a street in Denver City according to another, but Henry B. seems to be a member of the first Colorado Pioneers’ Society, which met and formed organization in Jun 1866, and included only those of ’58 and ’59. He was one of the numerous Vice Presidents of this Society. He lived in Larimer County in 1866.
CHURCHILL, John A., arrived Cherry Creek in 6th wagon of the Lawrence Party 1858. He was a member of the Montana Town Company, in this year, an original stockholder later in St. Charles Town Company and also a Denver City stockholder, all in 1858. See Smiley’s History of Colorado (or Denver), p. 203, for his portrait.
CHURPEL (CHUSPEL ?), Frederick Y., in Arapahoe County Land Records, liber A, p. 134, such a name is mentioned in land transaction 1859.
CIBOLA HALL, Auraria City, “was on upper right hand corner of Ferry and 4th Streets (now 11th and Walnut) 22 x 90 feet, built by James B. Reed in Aug last (1859) was first occupied as a billiard alley, afterwards for theatre. Seats 250 persons. Occupied now by Cibola Minstrels.”
(RMN, Feb 1, 1860, retrospective accounts)
CIBOLA HYDRAULIC COMPANY, organized Dec 1859 to construct dam in Clear Creek, four miles above Golden City and convey to that town, water by a ditch.
CIBOLA MINSTRELS, mentioned in the RMN of 1859 a good deal. They said to be talented fellows, and visited the camps giving shows. Their name probably derived from “The Seven Golden Cities of Cibola” famed among the Spanish conquistadors. (1540)
CLANCY, William, a director of Denver Town Company 1858, lived Auraria, later at Mountain City, and also at Hill Difficulty during 1858-9 (1856-9). He was a Catholic, and helped found the Cemetery Mt. Prospect near Denver. Larimer, in his Reminiscences says that he was a member of Territorial Legislature of Nebraska before arriving in goldfields. He was a Democrat. Member of the first Constitutional Convention from Denver City. While in Gregory Diggings, Jun 14, 1859, he sells lots in Denver to Paulus Grosse. Sep 17, 1859, he is grantor to B. S. Peabody, Denver lots. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 71)
It is said that he followed the gold lure to Montana Territory soon after 1859.
CLAPPER & COMPANY, three men, mining in Nevada Gulch, summer 1859. (RMN)
CLARK, from Elkhart, Indiana, accompanied by J. S. Clark, arrived Denver May 14, 1859. Trip 39 days from St. Louis. (RMN)
CLARK, C. A., pioneer of 1859. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. In both 1907 and 1920 he resides Louisville, Colorado. (Arrived Jun 14)
CLARK, C. B., of Mountain City, 1859, owner of quartz mill at Gregory Diggings, his partners are I. F. Vandeventer, George Sears, D. Curran, R. D. Thompson. (Also have shingle and saw mill here.) Clark is from Quincy, Illinois.
CLARK, David, arrived Denver City from Mt. Pulaski, Illinois Jun 14, 1859. The party consisted of N. M. Whittaker, W. C. Webster, A. B. Dement, M. L. Mathes, via Smoky Hill Route, 56 days from Leavenworth and 60 miles of it without wood or water. (At this time from 100 to 300 persons are daily arriving in Denver.) Went to Arkansas Valley. (RMN)
CLARK. Evelyn P., wife of J. M. Clark, of Auraria when they deed a property to A. C. Ford on Oct 8, 1859. They have many real estate transactions in this year. One description is of a ranche, 160 acres, east side Platte, about four miles from Denver, at or near what is called “The Old Spanish Diggings.” ---“The same property I bought from A. O. McGrew Aug 10, 1859.” Another transaction shows transfer of 80 or 90 lots, another gives the husband’s name as James M. Clark.
CLARK, J., accompanied by S. Clark, and T. Clark, arrived Denver from Warren, Indiana. Left Leavenworth Apr 21, arrived May 29 by Smoky Hill Route. (RMN)
CLARK, J. A., arrived from Illinois (RMN) Jun 2, 1859 by Platte Route, two wagons and seven men. (See under H. C. Reasoner for other members of party------accompanied by J. O. Clark.)
CLARK, J. H., stockholder in Auraria Town Company 1858.
CLARK, J. M., (Dr. James M.), husband of Evelyn P. Clark, of Arapahoe County Oct 6, 1859, convey lots to B. F. Berkeley, another conveys lots to Lewis N. Tappan. Dr. J. M. Clarke lives in Denver.
CLARK, J. O., came with J. A., above.
CLARK, Jo, arrived from New Orleans May 10, 1859 by Platte Route (40 days).
CLARK, John H., arrived before Jan 2, 1860, for he was a witness in a land transaction in Auraria on that date. In the Mss. Directory of Businessmen of 1859 in Denver and Auraria John M. Clark is said to be in livery business, associated with A. C. Hunt, 3rd Street, Auraria. John M. Clark is also a founder with others of Auraria Lodge in Oct 1859. He is of Blaney Lodge A.F. & A. M. No. 271, Illinois.
CLARK, J. S., arrived Denver with D. J. Clark from Elkhart, Indiana May 14, 1859. Trip was 39 days from St. Louis.
CLARK, J. T., arrived from Indiana (Warren, Indiana) accompanied by S. Clark 1859. (RMN)
CLARK, J. W., arrived Sep 1858. Born Virginia Jun 13, 1815. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society lives Denver circa 1890. (List of the Denver Society)
CLARK, Col. R. W., of Golden City. (R. W. Clark & Company had sawmill) “He is leaving Golden this morning for goods, etc. to return in early spring.” (Western Mountaineer, Dec 21, 1859. (The above may be taken from the RMN, but I think not.)
CLARK, Rufus, and Lucinda F. Clark, are witnesses to signature of deed between Lincoln and Bickford, Nov 12, 1859. (Note: this is “Potato Clark”) Lived in Denver, near Littleton road. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Association. Arrived Jul 6, 1859.
CLARK, S., arrived from Warren, Indiana accompanied by T. and J. Clark. Left Leavenworth Apr 21, arrived May 29, by Smoky Hill Route 1859.
CLARK, T., accompanied S. Clark, above.
CLARK, William, was member of jury to try case at Chicago Creek Bar in Jan 1860. Probably a Fiftyniner.
CLARK, William H., arrived Cherry Creek Oct 28, 1858. Was original stockholder of Auraria City. Lives Globeville, Colorado 1920. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. (Was also resident Globeville 1907). Born Ohio Jul 19, 1835.
CLARKLER (?) H., witness, in Auraria, land sale, Nov 1859. (Land Records)
CLAUSER, Charles, was in Boulder mining in 1858-59, a very early pioneer. (See Portrait & Biography Index of this work for extended notes of him.)
CLAY COMPANY LODE, mining claim 1859. Gilpin County.
CLAY, H., with firm of Pim & Peers, Auraria (or Denver 1859).
CLAY, H. M. (probably the same as above), (of Douglas County 1890), member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived Jun 10, 1859. Born Missouri Sep 27, 1836.
CLAY, Henry M., witness to deed, in Auraria, Aug 4, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
CLAYTON, George Washington, of Denver firm of Clayton, Lowe and Company (P. G. Lowe) doing business in 1859. He became wealthy, was in banking and other important interests, built one of the finest homes in Denver in the seventies. His early home on corner of 13th and (Glenarm or Welton?) was purchased by the Catholic Church, and the Academy of St. Mary’s was established in the house about 1863. This house was a frame, painted white, with green shutters, two stories in height, and when built was considered one of the finest in the city. The Church later built a large brick structure on the grounds but kept the old frame until they sold the block. P. G. Lowe is said in the RMN (an early date) to be a brother of the Mr. Lowe who was an aerial expert, and once planned a trip in balloon from New York to Europe. The following marriage record appears in RMN Oct 17, 1860: G. Washington Clayton married Miss Letitia E. Myers of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Rev. C. D. Cooper, Oct 12, 1860.
CLAYTON, Samuel, arrived 1859. Lived 37 years away from Denver, then came back for visit in 1899.
CLAYTON, T. W., claims 160 acres land situated on Bear Creek adjacent to a claim of Fred Kirschow, on the old Indian Pole Trail to South Park. Taken Aug 17, 1859. (Land Records)
CLAYWELL, Joel, (Job?) member of Kilpatrick & Company Gregory Diggings and Mountain City, Jun 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 19)
CLEAR CREEK, was the Vasquez Fork of the South Platte River before it had its present name, and before 1859 had another name. It had “diggings” all along in the gold hunting days.
CLEAR CREEK LUMBERING COMPANY (John D. Wall and John E. Carter) incorporated Dec 1859 to improve the stream with dams and chutes for driving timber.
CLEARLAND, G. W., delegate from the Illinois Central Diggings in 1859 to a convention in Denver or Auraria. (List in RMN)
CLEMENT, Benjamin, “of the Territory of Kansas” gives and assigns all property to his wife, Amelia Clement, for the benefit of their child Julia Clement, dated Jun 1, 1859, recorded Jul 12, 1859, Denver, Colorado. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p.137)
CLEMO, T. H., a resident of Mountain City in Jul 1859, for he is one of the rescue party which went across the snowy range to find body of the murdered Kennedy in July of that year. The party, which had learned of his murder by Utes, consisted of Dr. Foot, G. W. Colvin, E. Dickenson, and J. Richardson, as well as T. H. Clemo, all from Mountain City, besides, from Spanish Diggings, J. Higginbotham, Hancock, Henderson, Triplett & Parks. (See under J. E. Kennedy, description of trip etc.) Clemo was a founding member of Auraria Lodge A.F. & A. M. in October of this year. In records of this Lodge his home Lodge is given as Lawrence Lodge No. 6 in Kansas Territory. His name occurs several times in Land Records of that year in Auraria where he seems to have lived, as well as at Mountain City. He seems not to have invested in lots, but several times was signed as a witness up to Dec 1859. Partner of Howland.
CLEVELAND, G. W., a director of (incorporator rather) the Consolidated Ditch Company Denver 1859.
CLEWELL, Eugene F., grantor, claim of or on Fox Lode, Gregory Diggings, Sep 29, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 18) He is elected register of deeds in Arapahoe County, Oct 27, this year. The RMN announces his office to be over Mountain Boys’ Saloon, Denver City. In December of this year, he is witness to deed in Golden City, between John Morrison & G. N. Belcher of Golden, and has trial in Golden, attorney for the prosecution. He is a lawyer, in list of Denver attorneys of 1859. His name does not appear in the Directory of 1866.
CLINE, John W., was witness in Nov 1859, in Auraria at a farm claim transfer of deeds: for his biography complete see p. 381, Vickers’ History of Denver.
CLINK, Milo, resident of Denver 1859. (RMN, December)
CLINTON, Edw. F., pioneer of 1859, arrived Jun 25, died Apr 28, 1890. (List members Gilpin County Pioneers.)
CLINTON, S. F., in list in Hall’s Colorado History he is said to have arrived Jun 26, 1859. Born New York Sep 10, 1834.
CLISSINGER, Charles F., Mountain City, Oct 3, 1859, is grantee in a mine sale, gives one gold watch valued at 83 dollars, and agrees to pay $1,000. Gregory Diggings. (Gregory Record, pp. 17-18)
COAL CREEK DIGGINGS, were on Coal Creek 14 miles north of Golden City at base of the mountains. (1859)
COBB, E. W., born Boston, Massachusetts Nov 24, 1827. Clerk in foreign shipping house, 1st agent Adams Export Company in California in early day, two years Australia, returned 1857, then Denver 1859 (spring). Died before 1890. He was a petitioner from Auraria Lodge A.F. & A. M. to the Grand Lodge of Kansas Territory for a charter, in autumn 1859 his home Lodge being given was Washington Lodge of Roxbury, Massachusetts. In 1859 he was in the insurance and banking business in Denver City, in grocery business, ran Elephant Corrall, (one year) mined, and was appointed Chief of mineral department of the Surveyor General’s office. Oct 24 of this year he located farm claim near that of William Kinshelow.
COBB, Frank M., member of Lawrence party, arrived Jun 1858, left Lawrence, Kansas May 19, 8th wagon. Made ascent of Pike’s Peak while enroute, also left name cut in gateway of Garden of the Gods on trip it is said. (Probably obliterated by this date?) Born Minot, Oxford County, Maine, Oct 13, 1832. Reached Platte another authority says in September, laid out town of Montana, later helped lay out St. Charles and was stockholder in Denver City Town Company. He mined in Gregory’s and in Russells’, left Colorado later to enter the War, returned after its close, engaging in mining in Central. Lived 1410 Larimer Street 1899. He thought that 100,000 persons crossed plains in ’59, but 75,000 of them returned to the States.
COBERLEY, ---, settled in Douglas County (then probably unnamed) 1859. Had son C. H. Coberley, of Wheat Ridge, Jefferson County (1917), the latter educated Denver University, mining engineering assayer, 1917 bought the Pearl of the Valley Ranche of --- Nicholas. (W. 44th Avenue)
COBERLEY, Joseph G., born Illinois Apr 6, 1843. Arrived Cherry Creek Nov 5, 1858. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Association. Lived Middle Park.
COBERLEY, W. D., born Illinois 1840. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Association. Arrived 1858. Lived Denver recently. The file of the RMN 1866 has the following: Married: W. D. Coberley and Miss Lottie Woodrow, at residence of bride’s father, by Rev. W. M. Smith, Jan 25, 1866.
COCHRAN, James, lots in Auraria, his goods and chattels noted Jul 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
COCHRAN, James N., (probably same as above) grantee, house and lot, in Auraria City by Molden Bledsoe, Mar 8, 1859. Later than this, on Apr 2 same year, with Y. R. Green, from William A. Smith, deed to house and lot 12, block 4, Auraria City, consideration $40 (on Cherry Street). He was member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, living Silver Cliff at one time, another time Piedmont. Arrived Aug 17, 1858, was stockholder in Auraria Town Company. Born Virginia Apr 10, 1826.
COCHRAN, John, miner, Russell’s Gulch, 1859. (Probably of Cochran & Company, ten men, at Russell’s, mining, summer 1859)
COFFIN, ---, had farm claim on Platte, nearly opposite Ft. Lupton, in Dec 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber C, p. 134, old)
COFFMAN, G. W., Stockholder Auraria Town Company 1858.
COLBURN, ---, arrived from Iowa Point, Kansas Territory, spring 1859. (RMN)
COLE, Annie, of Arapahoe County, grantor, consideration $100, to C. A. Lawrence Oct 6, 1859, certain lots in Denver City. (Filed for record Feb 20, 1860.) (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber D, p. 312, old)
COLE, George H., owns Denver City lots 1859. (Land Records)
COLE, Luther A., of the city of Watertown, County of Jefferson, Wisconsin, gives power of attorney to Amos Steck to sell, etc. his lands and property in Denver Nov 7, 1859.
COLE, William, of Denver, Jul 2, 1859, grantor to John J. Smith, of St. Francis County, Missouri, certain Denver City lots (Liber A, p. 207, old) William Cole was an arrival of 1858, member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Born Jefferson County, New York Feb 16, 1836 or 7. Was original stockholder of Auraria. Salesman and merchant in Denver. He was of firm of Cole, Williams & Company, later of Holladay, Williams & Company. He contracted for government posts, later in cattle business. Had several large ranches. He married Miss Carrie E. Ireland, of Denver 1864. She died 1866 and he married second Miss Georgia B. Hoskins 1870.
COLEHER, S. A., witness to signature, deed dated Denver Oct 26, 1859.
COLEMAN, F. M., witness deed to Auraria lots Nov 1859.
COLEMAN & LeFEVRE, had quartz mill at Eureka, 1859. (File, RMN) “Mr. Coleman, an old Californian, is mining near Gregory. (RMN)
COLEMAN, P. N., of Golden, trial for property 1859.
COLLIER, David C., attorney, arrived Cherry Creek by Arkansas River Route Dec 5, 1858, having started in October. Had first law office shingle in Denver 1859. (On Larimer Street between B. & C. Streets) He advertized in RMN quite a good deal, (card) but removed to Gilpin County after investigating mining camps of San Juan and other places. After Central City appeared on the map he removed there, practicing law, wrote editorials for the “Tri-Weekly Mining Register.” Later became its managing editor, and erected the building since occupied by the paper, with the upper floor used as a Masonic hall. Frank Hall came in later with him. He was also in 1862 Superintendent of Schools, Gilpin County. He was County Judge of Gilpin County six years. Was a Mason, a Knight Templar, and President of Gilpin County Pioneers’ Association.
His notarial commission is in Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, dated from LeCompton, Mar 12, 1859. (For county of Montana, filed Jun 1, 1859) Signed by the Governor of Kansas Territory H. Medary, and attested by Hugh S. Walch, Secretary of Kansas Territory. He edited the Register until 1873. In 1863 he was one of the editors of the “Common-Wealth.” In 1862 had home in Eureka. Jan 2, 1863 the Tri-Weekly Mining Register says: “Mr. A. Thomson, senior editor of the Register presents Mr. D. C. Collier with a fine broadcloth coat, silk velvet vest, and French cassimre pants, all black, of course.” (This item is quoted to show that they could dress when they wished, in the pioneer days.) William Larimer, Jr., in his Reminiscences refers to his acquaintance with Collier who, he says was a young lawyer from Wyandotte, and whom he had taken in as a companion in his cabin to live with him in 1859. Collier was present when the first meeting was held to establish an Episcopal church in Denver, Feb 15, 1860. He was born in Chatauqua County, township of Mina, New York, Oct 13, 1832, ancestors Scotch on father’s side, Plymouth stock on mother’s side. Emigrated Ohio 1852, graduated Oberlin College 1857, next move Kansas, and thus to Pike’s Peak. (His son was living in San Diego, California 1913, for he loaned the Colorado Historical Society during Prof. Smiley’s time for of the office of Historian he was collecting materials for Colorado history) his cherished file of the early numbers of his Gilpin County paper, The Tri-Weekly Mining Register of Central City, 1862-3.) He is said to have removed to San Diego from Colorado in 1895, practiced law there and was prominent, and died aged 67, Aug 11, 1898.
Collier is said to have built the first dwelling house on the east side of Cherry Creek in 1859.
COLLIER, J. D. (spelled Colier – possibly Colver?) grantee of deed of Mountain City, Sep 16, 1859. (Gregory Record, p.30)
COLLIER, John Z., of Blackhawk in early times. Arrived May 3, 1859, and died Dec 11, 1892 in Lawrence Kansas. Interred in Fairmont Cemetery, Denver, Colorado. Was in mining business in Central City many years, and member of Gilpin County Pioneers’ Association.
COLLIER, of Shorts & Collier, mining firm at Gregory’s Diggings.
COLLIER, Thomas, was witness Aug 7, 1859 to deed between Milton & Brown to mining claims in Gregory Diggings. (Gregory and Mountain City Record)
COLLIER, WARNER, & WILLIAMS, firm, 1859, Denver City.
COLLINS, H., was with Wells, Goldschmidt, Gerrish and others in petitioning the Grand Lodge of Kansas Territory for Denver Lodge 1859.
COLMAN, KING AND COMPANY, 1859, working one sluice, Gregory Diggings. (RMN)
COLONA, name of town of fifty cabins, in 1859 situated near the present site of Ft. Collins. Established early in this year. The first organization was effected by Antoine and Nicholas Janisse, Elbridge Gerry (frontiersman) John Babtiste, --- Raymond, --- Todd, B. Goodwin, Antoine LeBeau, --- Randall, and Oliver Morisette. The town was later known as La Porte. (Colona was a precinct in 1859.)
COLONA, name brought in by Schuyler Colfax in Bill introduced in Congress Jan 6, 1859 to be the name of a Territory including the region later known as Colorado. This Bill was lost in Committee. (Was the date Jun 6?)
COLORADO, this name unknown to the Argonauts of 1858-59. --- Census of Colorado was taken in 1861 by Gov. Gilpin, (see The Overland Stage to California, p. 161.) showing a population of 25,329, white males over 21, 18,136 under 21, 2,622 females over 21, 4,484 females under 21, and 89 Negroes. Gilpin was the first Governor of Colorado Territory which was not created until 1861. (By Congress)
COLORADO CITY, was a political precinct in the 7th District, summer of 1859. Mentioned in statistics of the election for members of the first Constitutional Convention.
COLORADO PIONEERS’ SOCIETY or ASSOCIATION was organized first in 1866, Jun 22, and only arrivals of 1858-9 taken in at first, but it did not last long, and the work lagged until in 1872 another effort was made which resulted in a permanent Society. The last meeting was held in Cutlers’ Hall, Denver, and they extended the time to include pioneers of 1860. In Hall’s Colorado History a list of about 650 names seems to be all he could find among the various records.
COLOROW, Chief of the Utes: an excellent story of him (told by Wolfe Londoner) in RMN, p. 8, Dec 5, 1899.
COLVER, John D., (see John D. Collier) was mining in Colona 1859. He was a witness in Auraria City to deed in lot sale, Dec 5 same.
COLVIN, G. W. (see G. W. Calvin) of Mountain City Jul 1859, was member of rescue party leaving that place to bring back the bodies of Kennedy and Schank, killed by Indians. (See under Kennedy.)
COMBS, J. M., mentioned as resident of Auraria in 1859 file of RMN: advertized that he had lost a due bill.
COMLEY (CONLEY?), Charles, of Mountain City 1859, mentioned in (RMN)
COMPTON, James R., stockholder of Auraria Town Company 1858.
CONANT, E. H., was in 1858 a stockholder in Auraria Town Company.
CONE, John P., has in 1859 a steam engine for sale (advertized in RMN).
CONKLIN, ---, of firm of Prosser, Conklin & Co., mining, Russell’s ’59.
CONKLIN & BONESTEEL, formerly of Wisconsin, their quartz mill mentioned in RMN file of 1859.
CONKLIN, Edgar, was a witness to deed in Auraria Aug 1859, and during this year an express package was advertized for him in RMN. On Aug 22 same year he was grantee of land for ranche purposes on South Platte. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
CONKLIN, Theodore, Oct 31, 1859 grantor of claim on Luck Lead, on the hillside southeast of the Fields & Cotton Lead, and south of H. M. Griswold & Co.’s claim. Gregory Diggings. (Gregory Record, p. 76)
CONLEY, J. N., of Clayton, Georgia arrived Denver City May 30, 1859, by Santa Fe Trail, a 60 day trip. (List in RMN)
L. CONLY & COMPANY, grantors of farm claim, 160 acres, Nov 27, 1859 to M. F. Robinson & T. R. Short. Land south of Golden City. (Liber A, p. 27)
CONOLEY, L., mining Oct 1859 in Gregory Diggings, in Simmons Lode. (Mountain City Record) p. 22, Gregory Record.
CONNOLLY & BEVERLEY, mining, Clear Creek and Boulder Valley camps. Mentioned in 1859 file of RMN, summer.
CONNOLLY, David, of Denver, arrived Jul 1, 1859. Born New York Sep 13, 1826. (Name in list of Hall’s Colorado History.) In the Arapahoe County Land Records 1859 he is grantee for consideration of $150 of lots 9 and 10 on corner of C. & McGaa Streets Sep 13, 1859. Denver.
CONNOR, J., was an original stockholder of Auraria Town Company 1858.
CONNOR, R. C., arrived from Georgia with Capt. Green Russell’s party June 1, 1859. This party went to Gregory, then up above Central.
CONNORS, John A., of Denver, arrived Apr 11, 1859. Born Canada Jun 27, 1835. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Name from list.
CONSOLIDATED CITIES of Auraria, Denver and Highland, beginning of agitation for this in Dec 1859. (This was finally accomplished.)
CONSOLIDATED DITCH COMPANY, origanized in Gilpin County to convey water to the mines in the dry gulches, taking it from Fall River, 1859. This was incorporated in November in Denver.
CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTIONS of Territory of Jefferson and of Colorado (see Portrait & Biography Index of this work). The Constitutional Convention of 1859 met in Wooten’s Hall in Auraria, Apr 11 in this year. Many of the members passed resolutions recommending that the elected officers go on with their work of government without waiting for authority from the Governor of Kansas. Henry Allen opposed this course. The Proceedings of this convention are in file of RMN. In Aug 6 is record on pp. 1-2. The Constitution of the State of Jefferson appears on pp. 1-2 Aug 13, also pp. 1-2 Aug 20. Page 2, same issue, the memorial to Congress. The Nominations for the Provisional Government are on p. 1, Oct 20. June 11 issue also contains a record of Proceedings of the Convention. This Convention had two delegates from Taos (now in New Mexico). There were over 44 precincts, and several members to each one, Mountain City having 11 delegates, Auraria City only 9, and Denver City 9, while Gregory Diggings had 15. Golden City had 12. Thus, it may be seen what the population probably was in these camps.
CONTIS, Francis, notice of his death in RMN as follows: Francis Contis died June 6, 1859 of cancer of the stomach, on the route from Leavenworth, when approaching Denver. He was from St. Louis and aged 40 years. St. Louis papers please copy.
COOK, Albert T., died in Denver City aged 25 years. He was from Strawberry Point, Clayton County, Iowa. Buried in Mt. Prospect Cemetery. (Jul 15, 1859) file of this year, RMN (Albert ?)
COOK & BROTHER, mining, Nevada Gulch, five men, summer of 1859.
COOK, C. E., auctioneer, Denver, died Feb 1, 1863. (Suicide) He left a wife, -----. Tri-Weekly Mining Register.
COOK, Charles A., was the first Mayor of Denver, 1861-2-3. In Dec 6, 1859 he sold one half of original share in Town of Highland (share No. 22), drawn by George C. Nelson, etc.
COOK, Charles H., grantee, from Golden City Association Oct 21, 1859 lots on Washington Avenue, east side near Water Street (long description), also a second lot on Washington Street, west side.
COOK, Daniel D., in 1858 had Donation Lots from Auraria Town Company, with agreement to build hewed log house. He was a delegate from Auraria City in Jun 1859 to the first Constitutional Convention in Auraria. Under the Provisional Government he was Sheriff of Arapahoe County (Apr 23, 1859).
COOK, David J., arrived Denver Jun 17, 1859 from Indiana. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Was a clever detective, called “The Pinkerton of the Rocky Mountains.” Has been City Marshall, Maj. Gen. of Colorado Militia, Deputy U. S. Marshall for District of Colorado. (1880)
COOK, G. A. & COMPANY, of Auraria or Denver 1859, mentioned in list in RMN as handling gold dust. Was merchant.
COOK, George W., was member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived 1859. Living Denver 1920. Was member first Constitutional Convention 1859 delegate from Gregory Diggings.
There may be more than one G. W. Cook, for one is member of the Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived Mar 6, 1859, lived Mountain City, and left for Iowa during the first year, as reported in paper.
G. W. Cook was a founding member of Auraria Lodge in October of this year, his home Lodge being given as Stanbury Point Lodge No. 30 of Iowa.
COOK, Marshall, was delegate from Arapahoe City to the first Constitutional Convention Jun 1859. He was also resident of Auraria. In 1858 he is noted as of Arapahoe City, or village, and in Mar 1859 served as Prosecuting Attorney. He owned lot 1, block 63, Auraria City, for in September, same year, he sold it to William Ennis for $150, which price would denote a cabin, as a vacant lot at that time was worth very much less. There is a record of his having Donation Lots with agreement to build, of the Auraria Town Company, and this may be one of them.
COOK, S. W., member and petitioner of the Grand Lodge of Kansas for a dispensation for Auraria Lodge 1859. (This may be a reference to G. W. Cook, see above?)
COOK, William, of Mountain City in 1859 Directory of Businessmen of that place. He was a blacksmith.
COOK’S CREEK, was where Jackson first located gold. A meeting of miners was held here at the Diggings, May 9, 1859. (RMN, May 14)
COOLEY, C. E., with his partner J. C. Steadman, are owners of share 45, one donation share in the capital stock of the Auraria Town Company to be drawn under rules and regulations, and certified to by the Auraria Town Company dated Jul 20, 1859. In November of same year this firm again buys Auraria lots.
C. E. Cooley on Feb 19, 1860 is with several others in taking steps at a meeting to start an Episcopal church, which became St. John’s Church-in-the-Wilderness. (Denver)
COOMBS, Robert, arrived Jun 8, 1859. Member Gilpin County Pioneers’ Society, and was vice president of same. Lived Nevadaville.
Coombs and Company, four men were in 1859, summer, mining in Russell’s.
COONLEY and Company, seven men, mining, Pleasant Valley, summer 1859. RMN
COOPER, ---, associate of Bennett & Wyatt, 1859, sawmill in Cherry Creek pineries, set up on Divide about 30 miles south of mouth of Cherry Creek. This mill furnished it is said the first lumber brought to Denver (April 21) and used in Wooten’s small dwelling the first of frame, on west side of 10th Street (then called Ferry Street) between 4th and 5th Streets. (Larimer and Market) This building in 1901 was still being used as a stable.
COOPER, ---, of the firm of Heffner, McLain & Cooper, mining at Russell’s, summer of 1859.
COOPER, Hon. A. D., was a member of three State Constitutional Conventions, the first in 1859 (then a delegate from a precinct now included in Summit County), next in 1864, and then in 1875-6 to the one which prepared the Constitution under which we now live. He has been in State Senate 1865, later in 9th Territorial Legislature and in 1875 was of Fremont County. He was born Venango County, Pennsylvania, 1822, emigrated Kentucky, taught school, later moved Belleview, Nebraska, after coming Colorado mining, Summit and Clear Creek Counties. In 1870 settled down in Canon City. He was a Republican.
COOPER, C. S., of firm of Ming & Cooper, merchants Denver 1859. They had first store in Fountain City in this year.
COOPER, Isaac, arrived May 4, 1859. Born Illinois Oct 15, 1839. Died. Was a member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Lived Denver. Died before 1890.
COOPER, John W., lived Denver 1859. J. W. Cooper was a witness Sep 26 this year in Mountain City, to deed to claims, etc., (Gregory Record, p. 33) and in spring of 1859 J. W. Cooper was given Donation Lots by Auraria Town Company. Probably same party.
COOPER, Thomas, an English miner of Idaho Springs, arrived 1859. Came Clear Creek County. Born Kent, England Dec 27, 1826. In 1852 emigrated U. S., in Milwaukee, then Michigan (fishing trades there), returned England. Is in Colorado again 1880 working in Champion Tunnell, but somewhat retired. (Vickers’ Colorado History)
COOVER, ---, of firm of Foss, Coover & Company, mining at Russell’s 1859.
COPLEY, William, arrived 1858 with company carrying supplies to goldfields from Kansas, the Lawrence party, 5th wagon.
CORAVILLE, a U. S. Post Office discontinued Jul 1859.
CORBETT, Mr., the paper says that he is travelling in the mountains, and reports snow. (Winter of 1859)
CORBIN, Charles, name in list of pioneers given in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. II. He arrived 1859 and is recorded as having been born in Ohio 1832. From a clipping (dateless, but probably of 1899), it seems that Mr. also Mrs. E. Corbin came 1859, and in year 1899 lived at 1423 York Street, Denver. They “ranched on Platte at first, below Cherry Creek.” The following is copied from the Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber D, p. 320, old: Charles Corbin, certificate of his marriage to Eliza Burch, Dec 21, 1859 filed for record Feb 1, 1860 (married by Rev. G. W. Fisher). Place not stated. In the RMN it says, Charles Corbin married Miss Eliza Burch, all of Ohio, at residence of J. J. Minter, by Rev. G. W. Fisher, Dec 21, 1859. Cleveland and Cincinnati papers please copy. “With the above we received a generous supply of wedding cake.”
CORBITT, T. G., from Bath, New York, mentioned in paper as being at Tarryall Diggings, a miner (placer) summer 1859.
CORKRIN (CORCORAN), J. N., witness in Auraria City, Mar 24, 1859 to signature of deed between John W. Smith and James T. Trent for 36 Denver lots, consideration $8,000.
CORNISH, O., grantor, mining claim in Gregory Diggings, Sep 29, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 16)
CORRILL, Mr. (Carroll?), had camp near Denver 1859. (See Carroll?)
CORSON, William A., (of Colorado Springs circa 1890) arrived Denver City Jun 15, 1859. Born Ohio Apr 22, 1836.
CORYDON LODE, was discovered in 1859 near Central City site, and was on mountain between Eureka and Nevada. It was worked considerably in 1860 and then abandoned, but in 1863 is again being operated by Messrs Johnson & Teller. Tri-Weekly Mining Register, Feb 25, 1863, Central.
CORYELL, Charles A., arrived Denver Jun 10, 1859. Lived here.
COSGROVE & HODSON, mining. Four men at Russell’s Gulch. 1859. (RMN)
COSLEY & COMPANY, mining, Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats, two men.
COTTON, J. C., arrival of 1858 and original stockholder in Auraria Town Company.
COTTON, James, was witness land sale, Arapahoe County, Nov 27, 1859. (This is probably out of Liber A, old.
COURTWRIGHT. This name was associated with Charles Nichols in founding the City of St. Charles, on site of Denver 1858.
COURTWRIGHT, Jacob, of Mountain City was with mining business there for he is grantor of claim in Gregory District Oct 31, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 46)
COURTWRIGHT, Richard, in Arapahoe County Land Records is following: Richard Courtwright of the first part, Dec 6, 1858, lets contract for house in Denver City to be built of round logs, 16 x 16 at least 7 feet high, to have one door and chimney, and a dirt roof to show both ways. To be finished by the 1st of March, 22 lots in Denver City to be drawn out of Richard Courtwright’s shares in Denver City.
The parties of the second part are W. P. Preston and J. P. McPherson (to build). Richard Courtwright was a stockholder in Denver City Town Company in 1859, probably earlier.
COVALL (COVELL), John, in 1859 received a Judgment in Probate Court, Arapahoe County, against James W. Clark for $375. Dec 12, 1859 Clark’s lands and chattels fell into the hands of Kehler (Sheriff) Dec 31, and were sold to satisfy the Judgment. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old)
COVINGTON & Barnes, arrived with their train of wagons in Denver City May 18, 1859. They are from Williamsport, Warren County, Indiana. (RMN)
COWAN, R. R., was Chairman of the meeting on occasion of the miners of Russell’s protesting about the control of the price of gold dust in Oct 1859. This may be same Mr. Cowan who was partner of a Mr. Brown in Mountain City in Commission business in 1860-1.
COWDREY, C. D., name in the Business Directory of 1859 with place indicated on Curtis Street, Denver. Carpenter.
COWENHOVEN, H. P., member Colorado Pioneers’ Association. Hall, in his list gives his residence in 1890 as Aspen, Colorado. He arrived Denver Jun 27, 1859, and in 1864 lived in Blackhawk, and the name is listed in records as Mayor of Blackhawk, 1868-9. He was born in Prussia Mar 20, 1814. (Henry Cowenhoven)
COWLES, W., in 1858 was with the others at Montana City.
COX & COMPANY, with three men, mining at Russell’s Gulch summer 1859.
COX, George T., of Chicago Creek Bar, with J. C. Jones, implicated in case of John Pascoe, Jan 1860. (This is probably an arrival of 1859.)
COZENS (COZZENS), W. Z., Deputy Sheriff for Jack Kehler, of Arapahoe County 1859 was greatly feared by all law breakers, also much respected. His bravery was wonderful and he was a fine, generous character. He was Sheriff of Gilpin County 1864, and had charge of Van Horn during the time of his exciting trial and punishment. For more complete account of this matter, see Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. II, pp. 151-2-3. He was a Rocky Mountain Ranger earlier than this in Mountain City. Was born Jul 4, 1830 in L’Original, Canada. His parents were from New York and Vermont. They returned to United States later. His father was a lawyer in Chicago, Joliet, St. Louis, then W. Z. came Auraria 1859. He served in the War, Company C under command of Col. S. E. Brown. He its Captain. Has been City Marshall of Auraria, then to Middle Park. Married Mary, daughter of John & Mary York.
COZZENS, E. B., of Auraria City, grantee several Auraria lots Dec 30, 1859. Ed. Cozzens was a member of the American Pueblo Town Company in 1859. (Bancroft)
CRABTREE, J. F., was probably an arrival of ’59, for he was member of jury to try case at Chicago Bar, early in Jan of 1860.
CRADLEBAUGH, witness in Auraria, Aug 22, 1859, between Alvin H. Guivoth & John Hickry. (Liber A, p. 93)
CRAIG, George W., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, Denver 1920 and earlier. Arrived Denver 1859. Born New Hampshire 1830.
CRAIG, John H., settled in Happy Canon, now in Douglas County 1859. Arrived Denver in May preceding. Born Pennsylvania Oct 27, 1827. Was a witness in Auraria Dec 3 this year. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Residence in Castle Rock about 1890.
CRAIG, Capt. William, came before 1858, and was always prominent in Huerfano County and Southern part of Territory.
CRAM, D. M., gives notice, dated Jun 18, 1859, of claim for water of Maryland, or Chase Gulch, to be conveyed to Gregory Gulch. (Gregory Record, p. 50)
CRAMPTON & COMPANY, mining, in Russell’s with seven men (List RMN ’59).
CRANDALL, Lewis D., name frequent in Gregory Record 1859, claim in Bobtail Lode. Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. IV, p. 409 says that he was born Vermont and arrived Colorado in this year. Lived Mountain City, and later in Central, where he invested in the Bobtail, but died in 1861, just on the threshold of fortune. He left much valuable property. This his widow, Mrs. Lucy A. Crandall, held on to, and now she owns the Crandall Block, the Witter Block, and other valuable pieces in Denver and elsewhere. 1890.
CRANDOL, Russell & Company, mining ’59, summer, in Russell’s Gulch.
CRANE, ---, firm of Day & Crane, mining in Russell’s Gulch, same year.
CRANE, W. M., arrived Denver City with J. W. Bennett and 16 others by Express Route May 28, 1859. He is of Greenville County, Michigan. (RMN)
CRANE, William, arrived at mouth of Cherry Creek May 27, 1859 by Smoky Hill Route, with Leo Express Company of Leo, Indiana. 43 days out of Leavenworth.
CRAWFORD, M. M., arrived spring of ’59 with B. J. Stout and others, from Stout’s P. O. Ohio. (See under B. J. Stout for names of his companions and other particulars of this trip.)
CRAWFORD, William J., had Donation Lots for building, either Denver City or Auraria 1859.
CRAWSHAW, Phillip, arrived May 15, 1859. Lived Lakewood, Colorado later.
CREIGHTON, Harry, arrived accompanying Byers party, spring 1859. Also James CREIGHTON.
CREFTS, S., member first Constitutional Convention, a delegate from Dickerson Precinct, Jun 1859.
CREMER, M., witness, Jan 2, 1860 to deed between W. S. Walker and D. P. Wallingford, involving land on Platte, 20 miles below Denver.
CRESSWELL, Paige, from Ohio, arrived Denver spring 1859 from Ohio. (RMN)
CRIGLER, M. B., arrived May 28, 1859 from Missouri. (RMN)
CRIPPEN, Thomas, arrived Aug 1859. Born in Canada Jan 28, 1837. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Residence Denver.
CRITTENDEN & COMPANY, with three men, mining Pleasant Valley summer 1859.
CROMWELL, C. A., witness to deed between William McGaa and Raphael Cararell in Denver or Auraria, Aug 1859.
In Oct this year Curtis A. Cromwell made transfer of property.
On Nov 21 he is grantor of Denver lots, and must have invested in Arapahoe City for he grants to Caroline J. Cromwell Dec 8, same year, lots in this place.
CROOK, Albert J., witness in Mountain City to signature of deed to mining claim Sep 28, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 14) The name of A. N. J. Crook is signed as witness several times in Auraria City, once in Dec same year, again twice in Jan of 1860. In the early records of Auraria Lodge, it is to be seen that he was the first initiate Mason “passed” in Auraria Lodge Jan 7, 1860 and was “raised” on Feb 6. (Said to have been the first raised in all the gold diggings.) His name is in list of members of Auraria Lodge U.D. 1861.
CROOK, R. C. & COMPANY, statement of their mining claims in Gregory Diggings, claims on the Sterling Lode and Mammoth Lode. Partners, L. D. Crandall, M. Johnson, L.W. Crandall, H. H. Jacobs, James Hamilton. Recorded Sep 30, 1859. “Not able to work for want of water.” (Gregory Record, p. 3)
CROOKER (?) W. L., member in 1859 of first Constitutional Convention, a delegate from Arapahoe, (Arapahoe City, or Arapahoe Bar).
CROOKS, John, Denver 1859, name mentioned newspaper clipping.
CROPPER, Lyon, grantee, lot 6, block 30, Auraria City, from J. H. Dudley, Nov 18, 1859.
CROSS, ---, was member of the Kansas expedition carrying supplies to the miners in 1858. (Lawrence party, 6th wagon)
CROSS, Thomas, lived Loveland, Colorado 1890. Arrived Denver Jun 15, 1859. Born in Pennsylvania Mar 29, 1837.
CROUSE, F. H., had in 1858 Donation Lots in either Auraria or Montana City, accepted with agreement to build hewed log house.
CROUSE, Nathan, Denver City, grantee of lot or lots Jul 6, 1859.
CROW & BRUNDY, (note from 1859 files), are erecting in Golden, a very fine house, 25 X 40 and two stories high, on Washington Avenue and Third Street, to be occupied by them as a saloon.
CROW, Henry, arrived 1859. Member in 1920 of Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Was bred a merchant, became a miner, returned to Iowa, then located in Central City, was in War of 1864 and Indian wars, then moved to Georgetown. Being very wealthy he built a one hundred thousand dollar mansion on the block where now the Auditorium stands in Denver. One authority says he was born in Wisconsin, another says Canada, 1830. (The last is Frank Hall’s statement.) He was President of the City National Bank 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Crow removed from Denver to southwestern part of the United States.
CROWE, Jacob W., arrived Jun 12, 1859, died Jul 11, 1910. Member Gilpin County Pioneers’ Society.
CRUME, D. M., mentioned in files as mining near Denver 1859.
CRUISE, J. H., grantor of lots to Charles Wade, on condition that Wade finish building now under construction. The lot is on Larimer Street, Denver City, May 30, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
CRUISE, Nathan, grantor of Denver lots May 20, 1860. (Probably a resident and Fiftyniner.)
CRUSE, Frederic H., (probably a Fiftyniner) is grantee, from Golden Gate Town Company, Jan 14, 1860, lot 16, block 29, in the city of Golden Gate. (Jefferson County Land Records)
CRUTHERS? DUMONT & COMPANY, mining, Nevada District 1859.
CULLIN, Thomas, witness, transaction in property between Jacob Thomas & Elisa
Brown Aug 10, 1859. (Gregory Record, Mountain City)
CULLMAN, A. J., witness Denver City land transaction Dec 1859. (Record)
CUMMINGS, James & Company, mining Pleasant Valley, three men, summer 1859.
CUMMINGS, John S., of Gregory Diggings Sep 24, 1859, grantor of a mining claim or claims. (Gregory Record, p. 43) Again – record that he had claim on Sterling Lode, Mountain City 1859. (Same record)
CURRAN, D., was of Mountain City 1859, and part owner of quartz mills there. From Chicago, Illinois originally. He also was partner of C. B. Clark & Company, quartz and lumber mills, in Gregory Diggings in this year.
CURTICE, L. A., accompanied Byers’ party to goldfields in Feb 1859. (See Portrait & Biography Index for some biography of this pioneer.) He was long a prominent real estate dealer in Denver and lived as early as 1866, and possibly earlier, on Cheyenne Avenue, Auraria, on west side street between what is now Curtis and Champa. (Cheyenne Avenue is now Ninth Street, west Denver.)
Mrs. Curtice was a most elegant lady, a New England woman, rather petite, with gentle and pleasant manners, was well educated and a prominent woman in church activities. They had no children, but she had adopted a child name Mary ---? Always called Mary Curtice, who was treated as a favored daughter, well dressed, sent to school and placed in good society, but she disappeared from their lives later on, so the elderly couple lived alone, and died within a few days of one another. On p. ___ is photo of their home on Cheyenne Avenue, Auraria, but with some few alterations from old appearance. This house must have been built in the sixties, perhaps was a very early brick house.
CURTICE, William J., accompanied Byers and his paper to Colorado Feb-Apr 1859. (Apr 8 is date given in record of Colorado Pioneers’ Society.) Born New York Sep 14, 1859 (???) In 1861-3 he was Superintendent of Public Instruction, appointed by Gov. Gilpin.
CURTIS, Daniel F., (or Daniel L.?), grantor of Denver City lots, May 13, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
CURTIS & FOSTER, clothing, groceries, saddlery, etc., new store off the Old P. O. Auraria City 1859. (Directory)
CURTIS & LOWRY, surveyors, for Denver City Town Company 1859.
CURTIS, Samuel S. (Colonel), a prominent pioneer of 1858 contributes reminiscences to Smiley’s History of Denver. He lived in the village or city of Arapahoe near site of Golden City. Was a member of the first Constitutional Convention from Arapahoe, a place which furnished six delegates. In 1859 he seems to have moved to Denver City, and was stockholder in the Town Company, and had laid it out in Nov 22, 1858. In Dec of 1858 he located a ranche claim as follows: “from the centre of main channel of Clear Creek where western boundary of Arapahoe Town would strike it.” etc., etc., 160 acres, for ranching purposes. Filed for record in Golden City, Mar 25, 1860. (Liber A, p. 33) In Denver he says he occupied in ’59 as a store, one half of lower floor of two story frame building east side of Ferry (11th) Street, nearly a block north of where Larimer crosses it. The second floor was used by Masons, also by Odd Fellows (later) as Lodge room. He was elected City Treasurer in December of this year. He was one of the founders of the Episcopal Church in Denver Feb 1860. (Junior Warden) Was a banker in Omaha 1899, and lived in Council Bluffs, Iowa 1901. His portrait is in RMN, p. 6, Dec 5, 1899. Also in Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 388.
CUSHMAN, A., arrived May 4, 1859, lives Telluride County 1907. (Member Colorado Pioneers’ Association.)
He was of Longmont in 1881, A. W. Cushman (may be another?) was a pioneer of ’59.
CUSHMAN, L. R., was a resident of Denver City 1859, name in Directory same.
CUTTER, C. M., was member of first Constitutional Convention 1859, delegate from Kioway (a district).
CUVEN & COMPANY, mining in Pleasant Valley summer of 1859, five men.
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: July 28, 2008